WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best large pad?

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Best large pad?

With things changing so quickly in backpacking gear, what it the best 3"-3.5" sleeping pad on the market these days?
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Are you looking for a sleeping pad that is 3"-3.5" thick? For backpacking? The only pads I can think that are going to be that thick are going to be pads designed with front country camping in mind.

Otherwise, for back packing, I'm only familiar with pads that are 2" to 2.5" thick.

IMHO, the Therm-a-Rest NeoAir still leads the pack. For a given R-Value and size, the NeoAir is going to be the lightest weight option available. But they are also going to be the most expensive (but then that is why they are the most expensive).

Big Agnes has 3 or 4 models of pads ranging from 3.5 to 4" thick. I have 2 Q-Core SL in 25" width. They are very comfortable, easy to inflate/deflate and BA has great service/warranty.
    The 20" Q-Core SL's run very narrow more like 17 to 18" inflated.

I have thought about the Insulated Double Z, it's an interesting approach.

Exped also makes thicker pads, I had some de-laminate, and returned them to REI. Nemo is another source, but tend to be really heavy

Ran into a hiker that was using one of these a few weeks ago.
    He was sporting the XL. Thing was huge.
    Seemed he slept well.
    Said he was a 2 time AT thru and a PCT thru...after walking that much an extra pound might not be a big deal.

Sure looked comfy.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-...camper/product

Are u a side or back or belly sleeper. The choice will influence ur choice.

I really like the Big Agnes Q-Core SL Insulated. So much that I've bought two (one is for sale if you are interested). 3.5 in thick, 4.5 R-value, 19.2 oz verified weight for the 78" long regular (not mummy). Some people don't like that the outer baffles are larger, but I appreciate the cradling feeling because it keeps me on the pad instead of rolling off

Images

Please define what you mean by BEST so that we can steer you in the right direction.

When I was doing all my research for pads, tents and sleep system I wasn't finding anything lightweight that was over 2.5" thick. Believe me, I would have been interested too since I value a good night's sleep more than almost anything.

I finally settled on the 2.5" Klymit Static V insulated pad. It's heavier than the other recommendations at 19oz but also wider and slightly heavier-duty fabric which was important to me due to the risk of pinholes and punctures, and insulated because I'm a cold sleeper.

Comfort was a big issue in getting the 25" Q-core SL. I sleep on my side so the extra thickness allows for releasing air to get a comfortable contour yet not allowing the hip to touch the ground. It's heavier at 23 ounces, but well suited for use with quilts and my sleeping style.

I do like the V shaped pattern on the Klymit and it is a bit wider than a conventional 20" pad.

My daughter has an Air Core mummy that's 20 ounces, but she's a back sleeper using a BA sleeping bag. She could probably get away with a 2" pad, but I think the extra thickness has got her spoiled.

When I was younger, I could sleep on an 1/2" closed cell foam pad. If I did that now, not sure I could get up.

A good night's rest is pretty key for a successful trip.

Images

I prefer ccf, but am using an inflatable for the cold weather portions of my hike. I am also a side sleeper and am liking the Big Agnes 20" wide Q-Core SL mummy with my Big Agnes Zirkel UL20 bag.

I fell in love with the Sea to Summit Comfort Plus. Not for the gram counters that is for sure But I have never got a better nights sleep with any other pad. The water bed effect of other pads make it hard for me to sleep and I have never been a fan of closed cell foam pads as a side sleeper and when it gets cold I like the 5 R-value. Also I think its only 2" or 2.5".

Quote Originally Posted by Sethern View Post
    I fell in love with the Sea to Summit Comfort Plus. Not for the gram counters that is for sure But I have never got a better nights sleep with any other pad. The water bed effect of other pads make it hard for me to sleep and I have never been a fan of closed cell foam pads as a side sleeper and when it gets cold I like the 5 R-value. Also I think its only 2" or 2.5".
    Ditto. I have one and it's incredible. Dual chambers, only 2.5" thick but you'll never touch the ground. Go-to mat for shorter trips.

I went from the therma rest Xtherm to the xlit because on the noise. Below freezing I'll bring a CCF pad also.

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    Ditto. I have one and it's incredible. Dual chambers, only 2.5" thick but you'll never touch the ground. Go-to mat for shorter trips.
    That is what I said when I first got it. (Short trips only.) But I cut an extra 15 oz from my base weight to make up for the pad and will be taking it on my thru-hike. My full pack weight with food and water for 5 days is 30 lbs. If I replace the pad it would only take me down to 29 lbs 1 oz. I can live with the extra 15 oz. But then I am not an ultra lightweight hiker in the first place. But for sure there are pads that weigh a lot less. I guess its one of my luxury items.

Broken Record # 857:
    2014 model.
    NeoAir.
    Xtherm.
    Large.
    150 pounds.
    Side sleeper.
    3 months total use.
    2 months continuous use.
    Toasty warm at 25 F.
    Comfortable from upper 60 F to upper 70 F range.
    SILENT. REPEAT. SILENT. I've tried to get the Xtherm to make a sound. Rolled from side to side repeatedly. SILENCE.
    The best sleep I've ever had on the ground. Rivals my bed at home.
    For me, the Xtherm Large is the Best.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Sethern View Post
    They do look pretty cool, the dual chamber is a nice feature in the event of a leak. Good to hear they do well for side sleeping. One of the things I like about the Q-Core SL is the quilted design, the StS looks very similar

I'm a side sleeper and have tried alot of pads and the Neo air lite large with 3.2 R value does the job well.
    I don't wake up feeling like a mallet smashed my hip bone in the morning. Not the cheapest option but at 1 lb it's really nice to have.

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm a side sleeper & have been carrying a therma rest "pro-lite" since they came out. I'm a Lasher so I need something light, but want a more comfortable loft than the current 1.5" pad I use.

Journal Entries
    Images

Also I need one that's NOT crinkly!! Nothing more annoying than a LOUD pad!!

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    Also I need one that's NOT crinkly!! Nothing more annoying than a LOUD pad!!
    Read my post #15 RE: SILENT Xtherm Large.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++