WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hands-free umbrella: anyone out there try this thru-hiking?

hey there!

i've been learning so much about gear these past few months and am looking forward to hitting the trail in just 7 weeks now.

as for rain gear, i'm debating one of three options: either going with just a raincoat (maybe with gaiters) OR raincoat and rainpants OR raincoat and a hands-free umbrella. have any of you hiked the AT with an umbrella and if so, do you recommend it? it sounds freeing in terms of not getting too sweaty and generally staying dry but if its neither necessary nor practical (with trees, wind, etc), than i'll forgo it. anything you have to add is great- thanks.

I have a helinox ultralite umbrella that I am planning on bringing with me. It weighs 7oz and is awesome! I figure if I don't need it, I can throw it in my bounce box, or ship it home. It comes in pretty handy when setting up a shelter or cooking. I don't usually hike with it open. As far as other rain gear, I just ordered a rain kilt, which I'm pretty excited about, all though I have never actually worn one, so I can't make any recomendations there...My rain jacket has side zips, as opposed to pit zips which essentially wears similarly to a pancho. It breathes very well when worn like that, but like all rain jackets, is still too hot to wear while hiking in the warmer summer months.

I have this umbrella http://www.euroschirm.com/schirm/lit...rache_land=usa. I use it backpacking and will take it with me on my flip flop thus year. I attach it to my shoulder strap and it keeps the rain off my glasses. Had other uses...http://francistapon.com/Travels/Advi...th-an-Umbrella ...http://www.keithfoskett.com/pros-con...brella-hiking/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by climbingbear View Post
    I have this umbrella http://www.euroschirm.com/schirm/lit...rache_land=usa. I use it backpacking and will take it with me on my flip flop this year. I attach it to my shoulder strap and it keeps the rain off my glasses. Has other uses...http://francistapon.com/Travels/Advi...th-an-Umbrella ...http://www.keithfoskett.com/pros-con...brella-hiking/

Images

An umbrella and a rain jacket were my plan for my flip-flop hike last year. I found that during my shake down hikes that I just didn't like the umbrella after all. It is convenient sometimes and does offer better ventilation than a rain jacket. However, in a heavy rain with any amount of wind I would still get wet on one side of my body which necessitated putting on the rain jacket which eliminated the ventilation advantage of the umbrella. But the big thing I didn't like was that it didn't work well in the Southern Appalachians in a number of places. It would get caught on trees or bushes on narrow trails so you would have to always be watching out for obstacles to catch it. And it was also awkward when encountering on-coming hikers on narrow trails and we'd have to dance around one another. I found that I did like it more when holding it rather than attaching it to my pack. At least that way I could maneuver it better around obstacles or other hikers and adjust to rain coming from one side or another. But that necessitates putting away one trekking pole.

So, I suppose that for wide well maintained trails in a light rain it would be useful. But for me it was an item that irritated me more than it helped and would have limited usefulness so I left it at home.

However, others have used them and love them. So, YMMV.
    Last edited by SteelCut; 02-12-2016 at 07:35.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Images

I had an umbrella on my AT thru hike last year. Carried it from Springer to Katahdin, and used it. I attached mine to my pack shoulder strap with two small home made elastic shock cords with cord locks.

There were some things I liked about it and things I didn't. It can be a little annoying on tighter trails, but I eventually learned how to work around most obstacles. I did not like it for steep uphills, as I could only see about three feet in front of me - I like to see where I am going. For the most part, though, unless it was very windy, it did a great job. I was able to hike without rain gear when it was warmer, and in the cooler weather rain pants and/or jacket. The umbrella gave me the ability to change up the layers on top without getting too warm.

It was also helpful for doing camp chores when it was raining - out to the privy, collecting water, etc.

Like a lot of things in backpacking, it is something you'll have to try out and see if it works for you.
    LT 2013, AT NOBO 2015, MSGT 2016, PCT 2017/2018

CamelBak makes a clip for their hydration tubes off their water bladders. You can use those to attach your umbrella to pack straps to go hands free.
    On wooded trails, like the eastern trails (AT), not sure an umbrella works very well while hiking. On very exposed western trails (PCT, CT, CDT), I hear they work great for blocking SUN.

YMMV
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Erin Saver, who has hiked the AT, PCT, CDT, and other trails used an umbrella on the AT and comments on it in this post.

http://www.walkingwithwired.com/2014...ure-aters.html

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Erin Saver, who has hiked the AT, PCT, CDT, and other trails used an umbrella on the AT and comments on it in this post.

I was wondering if anyone was going to mention Wired. I tried this a few years back after seeing her post. We were on a section hike in July and a storm came up so fast that I didn't have time to stop and get out my rain jacket without getting drenched so the umbrella worked great to get me to the next shelter (1 mile down the trail) where I could get suited up under cover.

I carry one day hiking, love it. Of course I can be pickier about what kind of weather I go out in day hiking, but I still plan to bring it on my thru attempt.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I carry one on all trips. I prefer to hold it rather than attach it, but YMMV. Holding it loosely allow it to roll around obstacles instead of wrestling with them. No perfect for all circumstances, but a valuable addition IMHO. I don't hit the trail without it. It also helps that I use a single walking staff - not a pole in each hand.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by climbingbear View Post
    I have this umbrella http://www.euroschirm.com/schirm/lit...rache_land=usa. I use it backpacking and will take it with me on my flip flop thus year. I attach it to my shoulder strap and it keeps the rain off my glasses. Had other uses...http://francistapon.com/Travels/Advi...th-an-Umbrella ...http://www.keithfoskett.com/pros-con...brella-hiking/

I have been doing this for the last year. I have really enjoyed using it especially in light to moderate rain.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post

Umm, read her AT with an umbrella account. She also brought rain pants, rain jacket and rain gloves(latex gloves). She is also a rather small person. Kinda oiverkill with all that gear but it can be versatile. It worked for her nicely.

As a taller larger person attempting to use the same umbrella Erin used on narrow single track at times when the trail was heavily used not maintained also for equestrian use(Trimmed higher up to 10 ft and wider like newly maintained GSMNP AT trail) I had similar experiences as SteelCut and MamaBear. Gonna get wet eventually when you hike. Ihe umby rella worked nicely on wider trails in the northwest not so heavily used though for me. I still bring along a rain jacket/good quality DWRed jacket most times even with the umby rella.

Thx for the heads up on that Camleback attchment RhJanes. I'm going to look into that.

Journal Entries

Umbrellas are great.
    Even wearing rainjacket, its significantly cooler if you dont need hood and be zipped up completely.

Great for setting up in rain, visiting privy in rain, etc.

The only legitimate reason not to have one, is that you dont want to carry it.

Thats OK, but dont rationalize it as being not useful.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-12-2016 at 19:23.

All great suggestions. It sounds like most of you have used umbrellas on long hikes with much success but you don't rely on them for your only rain protection, as rain can tend to blow sideways. Mamabear, you confirmed for me how annoying it will be to ascend hills with an umbrella! I imagine I'll have a better idea on the umbry question after a few overnight practice hikes coming up. To throw out another question (because i love hearing your experiences), would any of you say that an umbrella and rain jacket is sufficient, or are rain pants or rain kilt essential as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbcakes View Post
    All great suggestions. It sounds like most of you have used umbrellas on long hikes with much success but you don't rely on them for your only rain protection, as rain can tend to blow sideways. Mamabear, you confirmed for me how annoying it will be to ascend hills with an umbrella! I imagine I'll have a better idea on the umbry question after a few overnight practice hikes coming up. To throw out another question (because i love hearing your experiences), would any of you say that an umbrella and rain jacket is sufficient, or are rain pants or rain kilt essential as well?
    I've been a day hiker thus far. An umbrella and a rain kilt has been more than sufficient for me doing that. I was convinced by some kind people here that a raincoat will almost certainly be necessary for the colder portions of a thru hike, so I'll be bringing a raincoat too. I'll likely send it home when it warms up.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbcakes View Post
    ... would any of you say that an umbrella and rain jacket is sufficient, or are rain pants or rain kilt essential as well?
    I would say it's sufficient for the AT, except for New Hampshire and Maine where you have so much exposure. I have some Golite rain pants, 4 oz., that I carry in the bottom of my pack, but truth be told - I've never worn them.

For me I'm trying to look at stuff that I should not put in my pack, rather than adding stuff. Let me trim down a little then I'll think about adding it. But yes I can see it as being usefull.

Crumbcakes,

I've wondered the same thing. Here are a couple of links that I found about using the umbrella "hands-free":

http://www.euroschirm.com/schirm/Swi...rache_land=usa
    http://ladyonarock.com/2015/04/19/ha...with-umbrella/

Images

I would say that rain pants on the AT is an individual choice, not necessarily essential. Some people tend to be more cold, and in windy/cold/wet conditions benefit from them. Rain pants can be beneficial not just for rain, but for wind. Some people are warmer and could never deal with being wet and sweaty wearing them. I saw everything on the AT from full-on rain pants to a drawstring garbage bag with the bottom opened up and worn as a rain skirt with the drawstring at the waist. It is whatever works for you and your body.

Personally, I had the pants at the beginning and used them. We had some stretches of rain and cool weather in April. Mine have the full zips on the sides, so I was able to vent heat by unzipping them partway (not as counterintuitive as one might think - still kept my legs dry!). My only other bottoms were running shorts and wool tights, so the rain pants worked for me and I was able to wear any combo of the three items. Didn't use them in the middle of the hike at all, and could have used them in NH/Maine, but we had an usually warm late summer here in New England and didn't need them. I imagine that if my thru would have taken longer, let's say into October, I definitely would have used them as the weather is already turning colder at that point.
    LT 2013, AT NOBO 2015, MSGT 2016, PCT 2017/2018

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++