WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Resupply Plans

As an engineer, I tend to put everything on a spreadsheet, timetable, i.e. plan each day weight each gram. I have been advised by close friends who have completed the AT and PCT thru hikes NOT TO OVER PLAN, but to leave some mystery in the adventure. Let each day's challenges unfold. Live in the moment of that time. Trying to do this is one of the reasons I'm doing the trail this year - to force me into some spontaneity and uncertainty. My son SOBOed the trail in 100 days in 2005 and did absolutely NO planning or training, but then he's not like most people.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by billdnc View Post
    As an engineer, I tend to put everything on a spreadsheet, timetable, i.e. plan each day weight each gram. I have been advised by close friends who have completed the AT and PCT thru hikes NOT TO OVER PLAN, but to leave some mystery in the adventure. Let each day's challenges unfold. Live in the moment of that time. Trying to do this is one of the reasons I'm doing the trail this year - to force me into some spontaneity and uncertainty. My son SOBOed the trail in 100 days in 2005 and did absolutely NO planning or training, but then he's not like most people.
    A hiker named Murphy once said something to the effect of, "Lots of things can happen on a thru-hike - and they always do." But any good engineer can figure out the solutions on the fly.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I didn't mail any food in 15 on my complete Thru hike and was extremely happy with that. In 14 I read all these places you needed to send food to and sent some to Fontana Dam. This was off of several A.T site's and it was one of the best spots on the trail to supply on.
    I've got to do some planning though for the PCT this year as the supply locations are scarce.
    The longest I went between supply sources was 3 days, I was moving pretty good though but it's highly doable.

I found this site very helpful and will be using it as a basis for my resupply. I liked the general perspective of staying as close to the trail as possible. Lots of drops/resupply but thankfully I have someone back home who can deliver pre-packed boxes to the post office.
    http://wanderingthewild.com/2013/02/...food-resupply/

Most buy their food as they go. I used mostly food drops from home (personal preference). I tended to have more food drops to keep the pack weight down. Where I resupplied is in my schedule that is linked in my signature below.

I'd suggest using businesses rather than PO if possible. Good luck on your hike.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Quote Originally Posted by mirandaminer View Post
    Is anyone interested in sharing their resupply schedule/plans? I'm finding this to be the most difficult part of the planning process.
    An issue some ATers or new LD hikers have is assuming they need or can know everything pre hike. Society teaches us we must know all the answers or have familiarity to be comfortable. Every AT hiker does not need to know their entire resupply plans in minute detail pre AT hike! OMG, I know of three who traversed the length of the Andes on little trail with no guidebook to point out oodles of resupply info that resupplied rather impromptu style as they went. I went through a difficult time finally enjoyably embracing that I didn't or couldn't know everything about upcoming hikes. As others, I too mistakenly tried though. It stressed me out until I let go from having to know or plan for everything. It can easily become mentally overwhelming to attempt to do so especially as a new LD hiker planning so many other aspects of a thru-hike. Chunk it down to generalities at first. ie; I will buy along the way, I will mostly buy along the way, etc. Avoid looking too far ahead and if and when you do don't stress about it. The AT in many aspects is forgiving.

Definitely read through Jack Tarlin's Resupply Article here on WB. Kudos to Jack Tarlin, a multiple time AT thru-hiker, who has been plugged into the ins and outs of hiking the AT to one degree or another for more than three decades. He's a straight shooter who really loves the AT and hikers. His AT resupply article listed here on WB is exactly as he relates. It also has been an appreciated original core resource for resupply for most of my own hikes regardless if they involved the AT or not that saved me from some of my own resupplying assumptions that would have been problematic long term. As always, find what's appropriate for your hike. HYOH.

What Dogwood said. I had a general idea what I'd bring for meals and snacks at the beginning and as I met other hikers I'd occasionally see someone eating or mixing in something I hadn't thought of and my resupply purchases changed. That and after 700 miles I got sick of trail mix and started to buy different candies and chocolates. I even mixed in a Cliff bar every now in then to break from my usual peanut butter crackers. Planning out my meals for the next six month doesn't sound like much fun anyway.

Journal Entries

I'm living in Germany with an APO box - I'm amassing bulk grains and dehydrated goods on a daily basis here, and plan to resource at least breakfasts and dinners for the entirety of my route via the USPS. I've bought a lot off of Bob's Red Mill and Amazon, and am dehydrating fruits several times a week with my Nesco dehydrator. I need to do the down and dirty digging still, but plan to hike about 18 a day, as I'm starting in early May from Harper's Ferry and flip-flopping NOBO then SOBO.

I have a few things I need that can't be supplied on the trail so made up 6 boxes (1 a month) with those specific items. I didn't want to hassle anyone at home with all this on a weekly basis so will resupply on the trail. I started my thru hike this month and will cross into GA tomorrow. Not many people out here and some places are not running shuttles yet but first indications are that this plan will work fine.

Journal Entries
    Images

I put together a new listing that I hope is helpful. If you find any problems with the list, please send me a private message so that I can correct it.
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/content....or-a-thru-hike
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

-

my resupply plan is to subsist exclusively on shelter mice - it coincides very well with weight loss plans

279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    my resupply plan is to subsist exclusively on shelter mice - it coincides very well with weight loss plans
    You'll still have to bring some food to attract them, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by mirandaminer View Post
    Is anyone interested in sharing their resupply schedule/plans? I'm finding this to be the most difficult part of the planning process.
    I just posted a video on my youtube channel on my typical 3-4 day Resupply. I show what I pack & how I pack it. Just go with the Flow, it is super easy to resupply on the AT........ Go check it out, hopefully it helps!

Resupply Vid ----- https://youtu.be/N2VQhW0gym4

Hike On,
    Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by ajcajonel View Post
    I'm living in Germany with an APO box - I'm amassing bulk grains and dehydrated goods on a daily basis here, and plan to resource at least breakfasts and dinners for the entirety of my route via the USPS. I've bought a lot off of Bob's Red Mill and Amazon, and am dehydrating fruits several times a week with my Nesco dehydrator. I need to do the down and dirty digging still, but plan to hike about 18 a day, as I'm starting in early May from Harper's Ferry and flip-flopping NOBO then SOBO.
    Bob's Red Mill products are found along the AT in med to large grocery stores.

Suggestion: you could, once in the U.S. spend a couple of days purchasing some larger bulk bin items similar to Bob's Red Mill Products, likely costing perhaps less for unpackaged product, package yourself, and mail from within the U.S. to other parts in the U.S. Earth Fare, Harris Teeter, Whole Foods, some Krogers,, healthfood stores, etc are some stores that carry bulk bin items. This will likely save you some do re mi but cost you a couple of days. Doing this at say a Hostel like in Dahlonega GA might be ideal.

-

Quote Originally Posted by CamelMan View Post
    You'll still have to bring some food to attract them, LOL.
    my fellow hikers have always graciously aided in the attraction of mice

Quote Originally Posted by billdnc View Post
    Some worthwhile advice given. Worthy advice heeded.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++