WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section Hiking Newbie

Hello all my name is James from Ohio and I am new to backpacking but I am planning of a couple trips on the AT this year. The first in in April a 3 day trip to do a 25 mile round trip hike out of Damascus on the Bear Tree Loop. Then another trip 7 days in June but I am not sure yet. I am looking for some advice or help on where to go or to joing groups of other hiker that want to section hike the AT.

Thanks James.

It hardly matters where you start. April's a bit early for New England, but you're not considering that in any case. By June it will be hike-able but probably still buggy.

Shenandoah National Park is a good place to get started -- great views with relatively easy hiking, lots of easy access points. Just don't get the idea that the whole trail is like that.

The mid-Atlantic portion of the AT is the "easy" part. It gets more rugged at the two ends, especially the north end.

Images

June, especially early in the month, is pretty nice in Virginia. Seven days will do Shenandoah, or a nice section in central VA. Maybe Daleville to Pearisburg depending on how many miles per day you end up hiking.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I'm a fan of starting at the beginning and hiking north, that is if you tend to do this every year or multiple times a year. If its a one time thing or "every blue moon" pick a awesome section. VA has some beautiful sections, Daleville south is a great suggestion.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Are you in Jackson township? Just curious I live in the portage lakes area so it's nice to see other Ohioans interested in the AT. I'm trying to decide if I want to do a section this summer and was looking for other people to hike with. I just started a new job so my vaca time is hard to come by but if I can work it out I may be interested in tagging along. Keep us posted!

Hey there. I'm wanting to section from Fontana Dam to Newfound Gap May 28-31st. If this looks like something you'd be interested in let me know. Could really use a shuttle partner to save that $100 fare.

KentuckyRed

I'm from outside Cincinnati. I'll be hiking the Whites in NH the first week of June (Franconia Notch to Gorham). I'm an "intermediate" hiker (have done 2 AT sections, and a little hiking out West). I usually hike solo, but tandem might be nice for a change, so let me know if you're interested in teaming up all or part way.

Quote Originally Posted by pulse38echo View Post
    Hello all my name is James from Ohio and I am new to backpacking but I am planning of a couple trips on the AT this year. The first in in April a 3 day trip to do a 25 mile round trip hike out of Damascus on the Bear Tree Loop. Then another trip 7 days in June but I am not sure yet. I am looking for some advice or help on where to go or to joing groups of other hiker that want to section hike the AT.

Thanks James.
    I'm looking at leaving June 20 from IL and starting on June 21. My plan is to hike for 4.5 days then head back June 25. I'm not sure which section yet, I have a few options including contacts near Harpers Ferry or Springer Mtn. I have to drive through Ohio so we could even carpool. -Tony

++ New Posts ++