WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Compass?

Default Compass?

I have not seen a compass on many gear lists. Is it a necessary item on a thru hike, or is the trail marked well enough that it's a chore to stray from the trail?
    Thanks

I have a small Thermometer/compass. Hangs around on my pack. Weighs like 2 grams. probably not that accurate. However I am also an Orienteer and carry like just the "compass" from one of my orienteering ones, which I'd broken the base plate on.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

A map is much more valuable than a compass, but the combination gives you a fighting chance to get yourself "un-lost". I bring a combination mini compass/thermometer that I clip to a zipper pull on my pack at a weight penalty of 1 oz. I wouldn't want to use this compass for orienteering, but it is a simple emergency backup. It is difficult to get lost, but it is certainly not impossible. Note that Inchworm apparently wandered off trail and got lost in Maine in 2013 (although it isn't entirely clear what happened to keep her from returning to the trail route). I've run across hikers hiking in the wrong direction, and there are sections with very poor blazing where it isn't obvious which way to go. All that said, I've probably pulled out my mini-compass twice in my 30+ section hikes whereas I've used my map to get a better sense of my location many, many times (including the top of Mt. Moosilauke in a cloudbank with nightfall rapidly approaching where a wrong turn would've resulted in a very wet night on a steep hillside). You will see a lot of gear lists with emergency whistles. A small one doesn't cost much in weight, but IMHO a rock banged against your cookpot has a better chance of being heard (the next time you're in the deep woods and there is any wind note that high-pitched sounds can get lost in the racket). For my JMT hike this September, I will be bringing this miniature signaling mirror (http://gossamergear.com/mini-signal-mirror.html), which will have a lot more applicability out there than on the AT's green tunnel.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

There are plenty of stories of people hiking the AT without a compass. . . it's well marked, there are lots of other people around . . . There are probably also lots of people that are deathly allergic to bee stings that don't always carry their epi-pen with them, and haven't died yet.

I guess I would suggest that if you aren't sure whether you should bring a compass with you or not, you probably shouldn't be backpacking beyond your backyard.
    Always, at least take a little button compass with you (actually a button compass is all I carry most of the time), because, if you've been out in the back-country long enough and often enough, you will, at some point, get turned around, and a compass can save your life.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    . . . For my JMT hike this September, I will be bringing this miniature signaling mirror, which will have a lot more applicability out there than on the AT's green tunnel.
    Yeah, but you can't find that tick on your butt with a whistle or a cooking pot. ;-)

Images

I carry a small button compass, more out of habit than necessity most of the time. If you don't carry a maps as well, though, its usefulness is very limited. If you don't have a compass, you can approximate direction with a wristwatch (or even make a replica of a watch face with paper/pencil or even sticks) as follows: You must have a working analog watch, or if using a replica know the time of day and set the "hour hand" at the correct time. Then rotate the "watch" and point the hour hand at the sun. South will be roughly midway between the hour hand and 12 o'clock. For example, if it is 8 am, you point the hour hand which is at 8 o'clock toward the sun. South will be approximately at 10 o'clock (halfway between 8 and 12).

Often the trail is so worn you forget to look for blazes, you just get rolling along the well worn path, and sometimes you can accidently follow a "false trail". If you haven't seen a blaze in a few hundred feet or so, stop, turn around, and see if there is a blaze going in the opposite direction. If not, you can investigate ahead a bit if the trail still seems to be right, but be ready to backtrack and retrace your steps until you see a blaze going the opposite direction. Look for any possible trail intersections where you may have taken a wrong turn, or to see if you missed a double blaze somewhere and didn't turn. The higher blaze mark will mark the direction which the trail turns.

DO NOT PANIC if you get "turned around". DO NOT leave the trail you are on, even if it seems to be the wrong one, and start bushwhacking. You got there on a worn path. You should be able to calmly find your way back to the correct path.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 02-10-2016 at 12:01.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I use a basic Suunto A-30 that weighs 1 oz without the neck cord and clip. I'm also several types of colorblind, and tend to miss a lot of blazes that are obvious to most people. A bit of snow can make white blazes disappear as well.

A compass is not of much use on the AT. There are no really big, open places on the AT which you have to navigate across. The few open areas you do cross have a well defined path beaten into the ground. For the most part, your walking along a path in the woods with trees all around you.

One thing you do have to pay attention to is which direction to go when exiting a side trail to a shelter. A lot of them have a N-S sign at the junction, but not all of them. At the point the shelter trail meets the AT, the AT might be going E-W not N-S so a compass doesn't help there. Just remember if you turned right to go to the shelter, you turn right again when exiting.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    A compass is not of much use on the AT. There are no really big, open places on the AT which you have to navigate across. The few open areas you do cross have a well defined path beaten into the ground. For the most part, your walking along a path in the woods with trees all around you.

One thing you do have to pay attention to is which direction to go when exiting a side trail to a shelter. A lot of them have a N-S sign at the junction, but not all of them. At the point the shelter trail meets the AT, the AT might be going E-W not N-S so a compass doesn't help there. Just remember if you turned right to go to the shelter, you turn right again when exiting.
    Yep. ^^^This^^^. And also pay close attention when going off to get water on a path (or even the privy especially at night) if it is out of sight of the shelter or your camp area. More people get turned around doing these things than you can imagine. And you are generally then without your pack and other gear.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by kenl View Post
    I have not seen a compass on many gear lists. Is it a necessary item on a thru hike, or is the trail marked well enough that it's a chore to stray from the trail?
    Thanks
    A compass only orientates you, I.e. which way am I pointing? Without following a map a compass is pretty useless. The AT heads NSEW so having a compass is pretty useless without a map also.
    However, you do not need a map on the AT (except Whites) because it is so well blazed. Other may disagree. Only serious Stoners get lost on the AT - God Bless them))*

*I do not advocate the use of drugs legal or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    I guess I would suggest that if you aren't sure whether you should bring a compass with you or not, you probably shouldn't be backpacking beyond your backyard.
    Ignorant and unnecessary. As if suggesting that a lack of orienteering skills means you can't safely enjoy backpacking.

Quote Originally Posted by kenl View Post
    Thanks
    On the AT, it's one of those things I carry and hope I don't have to use. I've taken many wrong turns but (knock wood) haven't gotten seriously lost.

Images

I found a small, 0.7 ounce Silva compass useful a couple/few times along the AT. I never found I needed a map in 2187 miles, but a compass, yes.

Assuming you know which general way you're heading, and you get off the trail for a night or whatever, it sure is handy the next morning in some cases. Yep, I did get directionally confused a couple times. Unlike out west where you can see the sky, and even on cloudy days usually tell where the sun is (and hence, know where east/west/north/south are....), on the AT many times I had no clue. Yep, glad I had a compass a few times.

I guess I would suggest that if you aren't sure whether you should bring a compass with you or not, you probably shouldn't be backpacking beyond your backyard.\.

Quote Originally Posted by bemental View Post
    Ignorant and unnecessary. As if suggesting that a lack of orienteering skills means you can't safely enjoy backpacking.
    +1

I am not a troll but this is, I agree, one of the most ignorant comments I have ever read on here.. Including many of my own...
    People with ZERO backpacking experience can walk just the same..and make it all the way..

What if he is an orienteering hobbyist? And wanted to practice while on the trail?
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Yeah, a map is highly recommended in the Whites due to so many intersecting trails, and because the weather can change very quickly and force you off the ridgeline and the AT down a side trail. They (maps) are also good if you want to backcountry camp since you need to get below tree line to do so. Lots of day hikers will usually be out in good weather, but few will have maps to share. On the plus side, the AT is well marked throughout the Whites, but you have to pay close attention to the rock cairns when above treeline, especially if it's foggy. In the "good old days" the AT was often only marked by the local trail names that it was routed over - 32 different local trail names from Hanover to the Mahoosucs.

Yes burton ball pin compass .

Thom

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    Yes burton ball pin compass .

Thom
    +1 on the burton compass. I pin mine to my hip belt so a quick glance down gives me a general sense of direction. Actually pretty useful in towns witb a town map.

I've carried a compass, albeit smaller and smaller, for 35+ plus years. Have had to use it on a handful of occasions. I get a chuckle when I read that someone thinks a map is more useful than a compass or that a compass is more useful than a map. They are equally important and each has it's place. For instance, I bushwack a lot, and if you are in deep timber a map is, at least temporarily, useless. But the compass allows you to keep your bearing. Likewise I have been in open terrain where it is easy to navigate with only a map using terrain association.

But to answer the OP question, you can get away with hiking the AT without a map or a compass although I personally think it prudent to carry both.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

. . . I guess I would suggest that if you aren't sure whether you should bring a compass with you or not, you probably shouldn't be backpacking beyond your backyard . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by bemental View Post
    I'm at a bit of a loss as to how suggesting that a person, that is uncertain about whether or not to take basic safety/navigation equipment on a long distance hike, has some learning to do before they take off into unfamiliar territory, is "ignorant".
    And, I would suggest that, if a person does not have the tools to know which direction they are walking, they are being careless.
    And, I would strongly suggest that any person that heads off on a long distance backpacking trip without basic navigation skills IS being irresponsible.

There are many people that would suggest you should not do any hike anywhere of any distance without all the ten essentials all the time, of which a map & compass is one (or are two of them depending on which version you tout). I completely disagree with the idea of the ten essentials being essential all the time.

I think the idea and concept of the ten essentials is great. I think the real world applicability of them is flawed. I don't take extra anything or a map or a compass on many day hikes because I know the area and know my skills, and I have no desire to pack along 10 lbs of gear that I will not use on a known trail with good weather prediction and good cell phone coverage.

But, back to the point. In my judgement, it is quite foolish to head off into any area you are unfamiliar with without basic navigation tools: knowledge of the terrain (which can be a map) and a reliable orientation tool like a compass (some might consider a smart-phone or GPS reliable - I won't get into that here).

If that is ignorant of me to suggest, I guess that, in your eyes, I am ignorant.

I always have a small compass on my watch band. For a "just in case"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++