WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default March 2017 NOBO hiking partner wanted

I want to leave March 5th. 2017 hopefully to hike NOBO from Springer Mountian and attempt a thru hike and was wondering if anyone would like to plan on starting with me. I'm from Akron Ohio and if your close I could provide a ride to Georiga, if your not maybe we can meet at the approach. I'm a first time hiker but very motivated so I'll do my best to keep up. Message me and let me know thanks.

You will not be the only one on the trail March 5th. One of the great lures to this trail is all the wonderful folks you'll meet, and hike with. No worries there!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonp2364 View Post
    . I'm a first time hiker but very motivated so I'll do my best to keep up.
    I wouldn't worry about there not being enough people to hike with.

What I would worry about is basing your plan around someone else's schedule and hiking pace.

Alright cool thanks. I couldn't get no one from back home to want to go with me.

I have thought Very highly about doing a thru-hike in 2017 in march and foresee my finances working out in my favor for the hike, I was thinking about partnering with someone mostly for the planning of the hike and I think it would be nice to at least have a hiking partner for the first month of the hike just as a transition (its not needed, but would be kind of nice).

I am also planning a Mar '17 thru hike. I will be bringing someone with me but the more "familiar" hikers the better!!

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaBadger View Post
    I am also planning a Mar '17 thru hike. I will be bringing someone with me but the more "familiar" hikers the better!!
    That's very true, but its hard to find a familiar hiker who is thru hiking the AT. The 'familiar hikers' that I know have either already hiked the AT or have an inability to do a thru hike for whatever reasons.

I'm going to be starting my NOBO if all goes according to plan by March 1st 2017 at the latest

I'm also planning a first-time, solo NOBO thru hike for March 1st 2017. The majority opinion seems to be that it's common to find similar-paced hikers on the trail, especially in the beginning.

It appears that March 1, 2017 is going to be a busy day.
    It may be difficult to hike without a partner.
    I'm going to mark my calendar to find an uncrowded trail to hike on.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    It appears that March 1, 2017 is going to be a busy day.
    It may be difficult to hike without a partner.
    I'm going to mark my calendar to find an uncrowded trail to hike on.

Wayne

Based on those that actually registered with the ATC, March 1, March 15, and April 1 are always very busy days at both Springer Mountain and Amicolala Fall SP.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home...tration-charts
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Public knowledge. Everyone knows.
    Yet they keep coming.

Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Hi.
    My name is Mark Moore, aka "goA.T. Trodder" I am attempting next year as well. Never hiked before either, and live in Columbus Ohio.
    March 5th was close to when I wanted to start.
    A little about me:
    I am 42, married and have 4 kids. I have multiple schlerosis but it is remission.
    Was a chef and restaurant manager my whole working career.
    If interested please ma .e back
    Thank you
    Trodder

Images

I'll be starting around then... not planning to set off with a partner, but I'm sure we will run into each other at some point!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonp2364 View Post
    I want to leave March 5th. 2017 hopefully to hike NOBO from Springer Mountian and attempt a thru hike and was wondering if anyone would like to plan on starting with me. I'm from Akron Ohio and if your close I could provide a ride to Georiga, if your not maybe we can meet at the approach. I'm a first time hiker but very motivated so I'll do my best to keep up. Message me and let me know thanks.
    It's great to have a hiking partner, but the reality is that you'll have a better chance finding that person by hiking. Everyone's fitness and ability levels are different, and those abilities advance differently while on the trail. There will be tons of hikers on the trail in March, and getting out there with them will help you understand your abilities in terms of who you can hike with and what speed is enjoyable to you. "Trying to keep up" can get you injured. You'll be in and out of different bubbles based on the days too. The "partner" you've been hiking with may decide to zero when you want to push on. You may have a logistical issue that keeps you in a town a day longer than expected and the bubble you were in has moved on or dispersed into different bubbles.

IMO, you should HYOH and enjoy meeting all of the different hiking partners that will come and go as you move forward on the trail.

Hello...I was looking to leave maybe mid March. But, I'm looking for a partner also. I'm pretty flexible. I have had more camping experience than hiking but...I'm motivated also.

I'm from Athens, OH and am planning an early March '17 departure, but plan on rolling out solo and let the trail sort things out. Hope to see the other Buckeyes
    AT Thru-hiker Wanna-be........goal of '17

+Johnsonp2364
    Starting my 2017 thru-hike on March 5th as well! I'm coming into Georgia by airline, hopefully I'll catch you on trail our first day. If not I will definitely see you at base camp!! Can't wait to get started and meet everyone! <3
    “Almost heaven, West Virginia
    Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah river
    Life is old there, older than the trees
    Younger than the mountains, grown’ like a breeze”

- John Denver

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gelfling View Post
    I'm also planning a first-time, solo NOBO thru hike for March 1st 2017. The majority opinion seems to be that it's common to find similar-paced hikers on the trail, especially in the beginning.
    Hey Gel. Look me up I live a few miles south of you. I just did 134.5 miles GA/NC. I'm starting March 1st 2017 for my thru hike. Maybe get some ideas passed around. I have learned A LOT on my hike.

Good luck on your thru hikes, I'm 64 and started my AT thru-hike April 12th 2015 and it rained for the first 8-10 days. It was snowing on Blood Mtn. and down in the 30's at night a few times. I'm glad I didn't start on March 1st. they closed the trail due to snow for a few days if I remember correctly.
    The trail was muddy in a lot of area's and staying dry especially your socks and shoes was impossible. So here are a few tips. . 1: Watch Post AT thru hike gear videos on you tube 2. Spend your money wisely on gear, look for good used gear on ebay or in thrift stores like goodwill or borrow gear 3. Pack as light and as functional as you can you afford. 4: Plan for the worst, and be prepared with your knowledge so you can make good choices. Example: I set my pack on a large rock to take a break, It fell over and rolled down a steep incline, I was lucky it hit a tree and stopped about 75 feet down the Mtn. It could have rolled another 2000. Crap happens. Knowledge, don't set your pack on the rock. 5: Do a few overnight hikes to test your gear prior to your long hike. 6: Don't over due it the first few days it will take the fun out of your hike, stop and take a few pictures with your cell phone you will wish you did when you get home. Happy trails I hope this helped someone/

"Capt. America"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++