WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Micro Spikes

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterPee View Post
    Are micro spikes sturdier than yaktrax? I had a pare of yaktrax that worked well on snow/ice on trails. I wore then when running, but all it took to break them was one small root that snagged their rubber frame. Do micro spikes stand up to rocks/roots etc?
    The difference between microspikes and Yaktrax is designed use. Yaktrax are designed for urban/suburban use in going from point A to point B without slipping in slush, light snow, and ice. Microspikes are designed for trail use specifically, to walk on ice/snow covered rock, frozen mud and steep slopes. Microspikes are far more sturdy than Yaktrax, standing up to any surface I have used them on, including mud, gravel, rock, hard ice, packed snow, and pine duff/loose dirt when moving between snowfields.

Microspikes will wear down when used in gravel and on rock, but it takes a lot of that to start denigrating their bite, they can be sharpened if you are so inclined. They sometimes "snag" as they extend the bottom of your boot/shoe by about a half inch, your brain may not figure out you have to add that half inch to each foot fall for a while and you can "snag" tops of rocks and roots until you get used to them. Frankly, I would not be in any forests in winter conditions without them.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Frankly, I would not be in any forests in winter conditions without them.
    So much this. Way too much ice in the mountains to not use them.

Images

Seeing this thread reminded me: gotta get rid of these before my hike starts:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ion-2015-16-55
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterPee View Post
    Are micro spikes sturdier than yaktrax? I had a pare of yaktrax that worked well on snow/ice on trails. I wore then when running, but all it took to break them was one small root that snagged their rubber frame. Do micro spikes stand up to rocks/roots etc?
    In my experience there's no comparison. Though Yaktrax are roughly half the price, microspikes will last at least ten times, maybe close to a hundred times longer, on trails. The first rock will pretty much ruin Yaktrax. I've yet to harm a pair of Kahtoolas, but a buddy who runs dozens of ten-mile days a season in them in the foothills of the Rockies gets at least two or three seasons out of one pair.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

If you are hiking in winter (ie there is even the threat of snow or ice) bring micro spikes!

I haven't had much need for my spikes so far this winter. But when I do need them, they make the difference between going 2.5 mph up hill and sliding in place. Would definitely suggest having the spikes in winter.

Images

There's more than one Hillsound traction product. The Hillsound Trail Crampon PROgets good reviews (see sectionhiker.com); it's more aggressive than than microspikes, more like a real crampon. I have a Camp trail crampon that is almost identical and they're good when microspikes don't cut it (steeper, harder thicker ice). Perhaps they've improved the Hillsound Trail Crampon (not Pro) since I looked last, but they were not as good as microspikes.

If a fall will hurt or kill you, then none of these are safe -- get real crampons. There are trails in the White Mts. that aren't safe in any trail crampons, but I don't think they're on the AT. I think a hiker fell down Kings Ravine a couple years ago and survived, but don't count on being that lucky.

I've been thinking of getting some Yaktraks for going from my door to my car but wouldn't hike in them (I'm not sure I'd walk to the corner to get my mail in them if it's icy). They seem less damaging to floors than microspikes.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Yup, until ya need em.
    There's tons of stuff you could "possibly" need.

Usually it ends up all over the place at Gooch Gap shelter and left behind.

Journal Entries
    Images

[QUOTE=Snow leopard;2041189
    I've been thinking of getting some Yaktraks for going from my door to my car but wouldn't hike in them (I'm not sure I'd walk to the corner to get my mail in them if it's icy). They seem less damaging to floors than microspikes.[/QUOTE]

Both have their place but MicroSpikes have more places. I threaded suspension line through the coils of my YT to protect the rubber; don't need to with the MS.

You will damage hard wood floors with either - no, I did not, I have some sense.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

I wore Yaktrax on my hiking boots in snow up Mt. St Helens in May four years ago.... complete snow cover from 5k to top.

As for AT... your typical Mid March - Oct hiker does NOT need Microspikes or Yaks.

If you wanna hike in winter at high elevations, then sure.

RE the difference between Kahtoola Microspikes and Hilsounds Trail Crampons are subtle but for ice the Hillsounds are superior. I have both in two different sizes. The points on the Hillsounds are part of three small plates that the chains tie to, if you step down, the spikes dig in far better than the Kahtoolas. On the Kahtoolas, the spikes can and do roll when on ice. I was out with a friend on Layayette last weekend and it was noticeable his Hillsounds were doing a lot better than my Kahtoolas.

Many of the Meetup groups that frequent the whites ban Yaktracks, they are just too problem prone.

I am curious about reports of Hillsounds hanging loose. That appears to be a sizing issue and that is very much impacted by the boot. The key thing to the longevity of both are that the chains should be tight up against the boot, if you hear jingling it means something is not right. The rubber needs to sit up past the rand of the boot which is the widest part of the sole. If the spikes are undersized, the rubber sits too low and the connection between the chain and the rubber can get pinched which is almost a guarantee that there will be broken rubber or broken chains. An oversized pair will naturally slip down and get caught on things. The Velcro strap that someone complained about over the instep is a major plus for me to the point where I have one fitted to my Kahtoolas. The strap keeps the chains tight and the rubber up over the rand. Folks will on occasion step out of Kahtoolas and not even notice it. I have found them on the trail and also I have seen folks get them pulled off by scrub. Hillsound now sells an identical product to Kahtoola called the Freestep 6 for less money.

Quote Originally Posted by Trance View Post
    I wore Yaktrax on my hiking boots in snow up Mt. St Helens in May four years ago.... complete snow cover from 5k to top.

As for AT... your typical Mid March - Oct hiker does NOT need Microspikes or Yaks.

If you wanna hike in winter at high elevations, then sure.
    So...the OP asked what occasion would he use them, and it being Winter and all, people need them. Kind of presumptuous stating they are unnecessary weight and to leave them at home. I was using Microspikes and snowshoes in May last year. It really depends on where you are located and where you are hiking. The White Mountains start icing up in September. It can snow any month of the year.

Journal Entries
    Images

Wow $50? how about three? please do not forget that boots do not last forever, with that in mind a 1/4 inch Hex flat sunk into the bottom about a 1/2 inch in will provide great ice cutting ability

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

never used them unlikely you will need them just added weight

Journal Entries
    Images

I don't follow - a few ounces on a winter hike? vs a whole unit of equipment
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    So...the OP asked what occasion would he use them, and it being Winter and all, people need them. Kind of presumptuous stating they are unnecessary weight and to leave them at home. I was using Microspikes and snowshoes in May last year. It really depends on where you are located and where you are hiking. The White Mountains start icing up in September. It can snow any month of the year.
    I was speaking in regards to a typical thru hike on the AT. Nobody, well basically nobody, is starting their thru hike in the Whites in May. The mountains in Northern Georgia and up to the Smokies are not that bad March-April that you need spikes. I speak from experience.

You are nitpicking. It's added weight. I hiked the Northern Georgia mountains in mid March 2010 and there was maybe a few stray snowdrifts.... but the trails, even on Blood Mountain, Mt Albert.... even Rocky and Indian were clear. The smokies were completely passable late March/Early April.

If you wanna hike in the snow, by all means, take microspikes. If you wanna take hike Mt Washington in the winter.... please use real crampons. I'm hiking the John Muir Trail this year mid June and I will be taking my micros for higher altitudes..... but the Sierra Nevadas are a completely different beast than the AT.

Also.... don't let Microspikes give you a false sense of security....

Microspikes will not save your ass on rocks with sheer ice.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I live Up North. In a typical winter (this year has been atypically warm) I just LIVE in microspikes. I'm using them whenever I'm not using other traction gear (snowshoes or crampons), and often carry them from mid-October to mid-May. I even wear them in town on bad-weather days.

Also.... don't let Microspikes give you a false sense of security....

Microspikes will not save your ass on rocks with sheer ice.
    No. If you're going to tackle a scrambly trail in serious ice, you need ice axe and crampons.

Here's a post from an incident in the Catskills last weekend that the original poster (George Dagis) gave me permission to share:

Two days ago I climbed Blackhead Mountain from the BLUE trail on the north-eastern part of the mountain. I had my full crampons on as I was attempting the top 400 feet (I had been wearing microspikes before that but they were obviously insufficient for this section). As it began to get really very steep I edged toward the side of the icy gully when the root I was holding on to broke. I slipped out onto the 40 degree solid ice and luckily grabbed onto a small rock before I flew down the icy slope and off of the cliff. I was in SERIOUS trouble because there was NO way to stand up and get my spikes into the ice. I couldn't kneel since the ice was too slippery. I couldn't ROLL because of the same reason. I had no ice ax with me so I couldn't get up using that. Only the SIDE of my boots were meeting the ice which did me absolutely no good. It looked like I was doomed for sure.

The ONLY way I was able to actually make it out alive was to literally PULL my entire body (And pack . . . I couldn't get it OFF of me without letting go of that rock) about 5 or 6 feet to a safe area with the two points of one of my crampons as I anchored alternately with the two points on the other foot's toes. How I managed the strength to do THAT is beyond me. If I would have lost contact with the points on either crampon it was over. I am so fortunate.

What I am trying to say is that I wouldn't attempt Blackhead from this side at this time. The other side was FINE. Black Dome was totally clean! No problems ANYWHERE in the range except here and BOY was it problematic. Secondly, whenever I think I may need crampons I will ALWAYS carry an ice ax with me. I suggest you consider doing the same thing. Please don't ever put yourself through the abject terror that I found myself in. Be safe!
    For what it's worth, the ledge on that mountain where where everyone changes from snowshoes to crampons looks like this. If you click through to the full size image and zoom in, you can see that I have an ice axe on my pack. The crampon bag is on the other side. That's what those little loops of webbing that almost every pack has at the bottom are for, by the way.

The Southerners just don't quite grasp that that the picture was taken on a day of GOOD weather. The ridge falls off VERY steeply to the one side, and there are spots where it's two thousand feet down. There was about a five foot snowpack before we got up to that wind-swept knife edge. This was a little over a year ago. There hasn't been any snow like that this winter - we've hardly had any winter to speak of this year. But there's been a lot of rain, and a lot of ice as a result.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I was speaking in regards to a typical thru hike on the AT. Nobody, well basically nobody, is starting their thru hike in the Whites in May. The mountains in Northern Georgia and up to the Smokies are not that bad March-April that you need spikes. I speak from experience.

You are nitpicking. It's added weight. I hiked the Northern Georgia mountains in mid March 2010 and there was maybe a few stray snowdrifts.... but the trails, even on Blood Mountain, Mt Albert.... even Rocky and Indian were clear. The smokies were completely passable late March/Early April.

If you wanna hike in the snow, by all means, take microspikes. If you wanna take hike Mt Washington in the winter.... please use real crampons. I'm hiking the John Muir Trail this year mid June and I will be taking my micros for higher altitudes..... but the Sierra Nevadas are a completely different beast than the AT.
    You see, its useful added weight. A sleeping bag and quilt are added weight. You don't propose leaving those behind, do you? Tent? Cookpot? Stove? Its all added weight.

As far as someone not doing a through hike in the Whites in Winter, there is someone doing that right now. In the Winter, but he's probably wearing full on Crampons at this point. So just to discount something because its added weight is foolishness.

I wonder how those mountains will look in the next few days? Think they might be a tad icy? There are people who have already hiked through GA this year. Im sure a few of them had wished they were wearing microspikes.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    . . . the Whites in Winter, there is someone doing that right now. In the Winter, but he's probably wearing full on Crampons at this point. . .
    I'll take that bet. I'll bet the Real Hiking Viking made it through the Whites with snowshoes and micro-spikes, no real crampons. I wonder if we'd get an answer if we asked him on his facebook feed? There are definitely a few sketchy places along the AT in the Whites, but I doubt they really pose much of a serious problem for micro-spikes on the feet of someone with quite a bit of winter trail experience.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++