WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Shenendoah NP in mid april?

I'm thinking about a 7-10 day AT hike, perhaps starting at Front Royal (easy access from Dulles airport), heading south down thru SNP this April, somewhere around the middle of the month. I found an ancient 2008 thread that claims this is an excellent time of year, thought I'd double check. I definitely want to be well ahead of any AT "bubble", and April should fit this bill easily this far north.

Any opinions by locals? SNP and south for maybe 150 total miles starting mid-April?

Thanks in advance....

Images

PS: I'm asking mostly about typical April weather, and potential for leftover snow conditions.

I'd say no snow. Wet weather. Muddy.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    PS: I'm asking mostly about typical April weather, and potential for leftover snow conditions.
    Rob,

To return the favor, April is an awesome time to hike SNP (maybe one of the best months excluding maybe October but too crowded). You most likely won't have snow in April but it is possible. March 29, 2014 I was on a 2 night trip and had enough snow to close down Skyline Drive. The day before was freezing rain (Sat) but I hiked in Friday night with 60 degree weather in shorts and a T-shirt.

160 miles would put you right around Buena Vista. There isn't transportation there as far as I know. Amtrak does run to Staunton, VA which is about 40 miles north of there (closer to Waynesboro). Another option would be to start in HF and head south to Waynesboro where you can easily get to Amtrak. This is also 160 miles and you can get to HF via an Amtrak train out of DC.

For a shuttle, I would recommend Sharon from the ATC Shuttle List if you start in Front Royal. She also has a bunk room you can stay in the night before for a donation. I am working full-time and in an MBA program but if you keep me posted on dates when you get closer, I might be able to help you out with a ride to Front Royal. I am about 40 miles form there but could maybe turn it into an opportunity to spend a night in the tent.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I will do my best to help out.

And hopefully Coffee from here will chime in. He hiked the entire park north bound in April a few years ago. You may want to search for that.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    Rob,

To return the favor, April is an awesome time to hike SNP (maybe one of the best months excluding maybe October but too crowded). You most likely won't have snow in April but it is possible. March 29, 2014 I was on a 2 night trip and had enough snow to close down Skyline Drive. The day before was freezing rain (Sat) but I hiked in Friday night with 60 degree weather in shorts and a T-shirt.

160 miles would put you right around Buena Vista. There isn't transportation there as far as I know. Amtrak does run to Staunton, VA which is about 40 miles north of there (closer to Waynesboro). Another option would be to start in HF and head south to Waynesboro where you can easily get to Amtrak. This is also 160 miles and you can get to HF via an Amtrak train out of DC.

For a shuttle, I would recommend Sharon from the ATC Shuttle List if you start in Front Royal. She also has a bunk room you can stay in the night before for a donation. I am working full-time and in an MBA program but if you keep me posted on dates when you get closer, I might be able to help you out with a ride to Front Royal. I am about 40 miles form there but could maybe turn it into an opportunity to spend a night in the tent.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I will do my best to help out.
    Thanks for the great info! I actually did use Sharon twice now, I stopped at FR, used her to get to Dulles, then again to get from Dulles back to her place, spent the night, headed north. Sweet lady, made me a killer breakfast. I was planning the same thing this time, except heading south. But heck, starting at Harpers works too.... cool little town to visit again. I'll look at the mileages, 120 minimum, up to about 200, I just said "150" because I was thinking 8-9 days of hiking, but 10-12 works too. Just anxious to get out and stretch the legs in some spring air, after this long, cold winter we've had so far. Again, thanks!

Journal Entries

Weather permitting, we'll be hiking SOBO from FR in late February (just a 3-day weekend trip). I expect it's gonna be mighty chilly! I just hope the road is open so we can get to the Trail.

We did a weekend section in late winter last year, or was that 2014....? I don't recall that there was snow on the ground (though that's certainly possible in winter). The ice we saw was mostly limited to standing water (puddles not lakes) and water dripping from rocks.

Thanks for the great info! I actually did use Sharon twice now, I stopped at FR, used her to get to Dulles, then again to get from Dulles back to her place, spent the night, headed north. Sweet lady, made me a killer breakfast. I was planning the same thing this time, except heading south. But heck, starting at Harpers works too.... cool little town to visit again. I'll look at the mileages, 120 minimum, up to about 200, I just said "150" because I was thinking 8-9 days of hiking, but 10-12 works too. Just anxious to get out and stretch the legs in some spring air, after this long, cold winter we've had so far. Again, thanks!

You're welcome and like I said, keep me updated and if it is Friday- Sun and I am free, I would be glad to help out to save you a few $$ (and have an excuse to get out).

Since I'll be heading north from Harper's Ferry mid April, I hope the weather isn't too bad. April showers brings May flowers, so expect some rain and cool temps. Which would be much nicer then the heat I suffered through down there in early May last year.

Consider going to Daleville, which is not far from Roanoke, a major transportation hub. It took me just over 3 weeks to go from HF to Daleville last spring, starting on May 1st for a modest average of 12 miles a day. My longest day was a bit over 20 miles.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

I'm thinking about a 7-10 day AT hike, perhaps starting at Front Royal (easy access from Dulles airport), heading south down thru SNP this April, somewhere around the middle of the month. I found an ancient 2008 thread that claims this is an excellent time of year, thought I'd double check. I definitely want to be well ahead of any AT "bubble", and April should fit this bill easily this far north.

Any opinions by locals? SNP and south for maybe 150 total miles starting mid-April?

Thanks in advance....
    I'll be hiking sobo from Harpers Ferry thru the SNP mid April with at least one other person. I'm "local" to the SNP and have hiked most of it multiple times. Mid April will be a great time to hike it; the waysides, campgrounds and stores will be open and crowds will be a minimum. Weather will be likely be cool but not what I would call cold. Snow is unlikely. You can take a train from DC straight to HF.
    Send me a PM if you think you might be interested in hiking with us.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    I'll be hiking sobo from Harpers Ferry thru the SNP mid April with at least one other person. I'm "local" to the SNP and have hiked most of it multiple times. Mid April will be a great time to hike it; the waysides, campgrounds and stores will be open and crowds will be a minimum. Weather will be likely be cool but not what I would call cold. Snow is unlikely. You can take a train from DC straight to HF.
    Send me a PM if you think you might be interested in hiking with us.
    Wow, all sounds great, I was wondering if those waysides would be open, now that's an offer... We (my wife might join me for a few days) might just consider that, I'll let you know.

I just checked: DIRECT flights on SW airlines Denver to Wash-Dulles, 89 bucks, each way. No baggage or change fees. Hard to resist.

And thanks again Studlintsean (and others).

Perfect time of year!

I think mid-April is an ideal time to hike SNP. Yes, you might have cold rain as a worst-case scenario, but you'll also enjoy sunshine and early wildflowers. Trees don't leaf out until the second week in May, so you'll have near-constant views. Park shouldn't be too crowded.

Check the SNP website for seasonal hours of the facilities.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Weather permitting, we'll be hiking SOBO from FR in late February (just a 3-day weekend trip). I expect it's gonna be mighty chilly! I just hope the road is open so we can get to the Trail.

We did a weekend section in late winter last year, or was that 2014....? I don't recall that there was snow on the ground (though that's certainly possible in winter). The ice we saw was mostly limited to standing water (puddles not lakes) and water dripping from rocks.
    You didn't say how many miles you plan on doing per day, but this looks like Rt. 522 to US211. You should not have any issues with trail access.

Mid April was a great time to hike through the park in 2014. I started on April 15 at Rockfish Gap and hiked northbound reaching Boiling Springs, PA in about two weeks. There were a couple of cold nights at the start with my water bottles freezing on the first night but the temperatures warmed up quickly. There was no snow and no precipitation at all until the final couple of days of the hike. In SNP, the leaves are not yet on trees in mid April so the views are excellent. I only met a couple of early season thru hikers and the trail was not at all crowded. I am thinking about doing another AT section this April but I haven't settled on the exact location yet. Starting at Rockfish Gap and heading SOBO might be an option but I suspect the trail will get more crowded heading south into the bubble.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Weather can be decent by mid-April. But you should be prepared, mentally and gear-wise, for winter to reappear as it does some years. More likely you would experience cold rains, cold nights, and mud if you didn't actually have good weather.

Most facilities will be open by then, but not all. Here is the official word:

http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisi...g-schedule.htm

Images

Watch for sunburn. Last time I was there in April, the trees had no leaves yet...

When I lived in Virginia I used to go to SNP every year in April to see spring come to park. Mid April it will be full up spring at the base of the mountains and the trees will have leaves but at the top of the mountains spring will just be beginning to arrive and the trees will still be in buds or leaves just beginning to come out. You can sit at an overlook and see how far spring has progressed up the mountains by the gradual transition from trees with leaves to trees that are still bare as the elevation increases. It was interesting to watch the park wake up after a long winter nap.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

I'm headed South bound from H.F. First week of April.

Thom

I'll be doing a similar trip the last week of March into first week of April, will be able to report on conditions then

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++