WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question NOBO from CT to ME in June

Still researching and planning! My guy and I are first-time Thru-Hikers wondering if sharing a hammock and skipping the tent is do-able for a NOBO from CT to ME? Or is the weather just too cold and/or unpredictable and we should skip the hammock and just invest in a lightweight tent?

You had best really, really, really like each other to share a hammock. Hammocks have other issues (like keeping warm in them) and unless your experienced with them and have the proper under quilt, big enough tarp and strong enough straps, you'd be best to avoid them.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

^^^ Yeah, even though you're young, and really, REALLY LIKE each other, sharing a hammock like an Eno Double Nest or similar for 2 months or so (assuming you are thru to Katahdin?) is probably going to prove to be less than ideal. Even if you get the under quilt or bottom insulation and top quilt and bug net and rain fly right and learn all the ins and outs of using it. Hammocks are probably a much better option for those sleeping alone. A double hammock or two singles with all the necessary insulation will also likely be as expensive or more than a tent, pad(s), and mating sleeping bags or big two person quilt. There's also the issue of what to do if you decide to sleep in a shelter once in a while and then have no sleeping pad(s). Lots of people try to avoid shelters, and swear they'll never stay in one, but in a severe storm, people often decide otherwise. IMO, a 3 person tent is a much better option for two people that actually sleep together. They're easier to get in to, a lot harder to fall out of, and if you do the ground is much closer too. Preferably one with doors on both sides - ones that come to mind if quality is more a concern than price are the Big Agnes Copper Spur 3, or at minimum a larger 2 person like a Lightheart Gear Duo. Or similar - do some research. I always think a 3 person tent is better because most 2 person tents are more often what I'd call 1 1/2 person tents and the extra 6 to 8 ounces or so for a 3 person will be well worth carrying for the extra room for gear, escaping bad weather or bad bugs, sitting out a storm, reading, playing cards/hanging out, and . . .
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 02-09-2016 at 04:16.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

TarpTent Double Rainbow or StratoSpire 2. Light. Lots of room. 2 side doors/vestibules-no crawling over each other to get out at 2 am. Dry. Stable in a breeze. Pack small. Good company.
    Less expensive than the under quilts to keep you warm while hanging.
    http://www.tarptent.com/double-rainbow.html
    https://www.tarptent.com/stratospire2.html
    http://www.anywhereathome.com/the-hu...fect-tarptent/

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Still researching and planning! My guy and I are first-time Thru-Hikers wondering if sharing a hammock and skipping the tent is do-able for a NOBO from CT to ME? Or is the weather just too cold and/or unpredictable and we should skip the hammock and just invest in a lightweight tent?
    It's almost impossible to have sex in a hammock. Unless you are both under 45kg. Then it might be possible but hardly worth it considering the alternatives available.

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

Never share the hammock...you won't sleep at all! I only use a hammock when I backpack...especially on the AT...so nice not to need flat ground

I'm doing a NOBO from NY-ME in Late may/june, hope to see you out there. I'm bringing a tarp tent, just personal preference though

++ New Posts ++