WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Looking for info on CS #46 (Estes Branch) and CS #51 (Georges Branch)

A small group (4) of us are making our first trip down to the Smokies in April. Looking for updated info on campsites #46 & #51. Everything I've found so far is from about 3 years ago. We're all hammock campers, so I need to know if there are enough trees to hook up to. From the topo maps i have, it looks like water sources shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for any info y'all can provide!

I stayed at #46 a few years ago and didn't have any problem hooking up my hammock, though I wasn't looking for multiple hang spots. The campsite is on sloped ground with a few flattish areas for firepits and tent setup.

There are creeks on both the east and west side of the campsite, but access is much easier to the one on the east side. You shouldn't have any problems with water here.

I hiked by #51. It offers a much flatter campsite area. I didn't think I would have any trouble finding trees to hang from, but again I wasn't looking to find 4 hang locations. I think #51 might be a nicer campsite for a group. #46 might be a better site if you are looking for seclusion though, since the flat spots are separated somewhat.

Thanks for the info. Therein lies the problem we're having with planning this trip. This is the first place we've been to that you have to reserve campsites sight unseen. Everywhere else we've gone, we just find a spot in the woods with enough trees to hook up to, and we set up camp, leaving as minimal footprint as we can. Two of us do have one-man tents I reckon we could bring in lieu of hammocks.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Trees are plentiful enough that you shouldn't have any problems finding a spot to hang... especially since I would assume you have a little extra to deal with hanging hammocks when the tree spacing isn't perfect.

About the only issue you would have with hammocks is that they are basically not allowed at shelters.
    The GSMNP rules regarding hammocks is that they are treated like a tent, and tents are not allowed at shelters (except for those travelling on a thru hiker permit AND the shelter fills up).
    Beyond that, the rules regarding hammocks is that they can not be attached to any part of a structure and the straps must be of sufficient width to avoid harming the tree it is tied to.

I stayed at 46 last summer, and it's a big site with two firepit areas. It's not very flat, but there are certainly a lot of trees for hanging. For the most part, the Smokies has so many trees that you'll find a way to hang. You might have to wander off the main site a bit, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Campsite46_DSC05596.JPG

The only site I have had real trouble finding a spot for my hammock was campsite #10 on the Southeast side of Cades Cove. There weren't suitable trees within the campsite, and the thick rhododendron in that area made it very difficult to find a good spot. I ended up tying one end to a tree in the campsite, and the other end to a very small tree set back in the rhodo.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by madgoat View Post
    The only site I have had real trouble finding a spot for my hammock was campsite #10 on the Southeast side of Cades Cove. There weren't suitable trees within the campsite, and the thick rhododendron in that area made it very difficult to find a good spot. I ended up tying one end to a tree in the campsite, and the other end to a very small tree set back in the rhodo.

yeah....imo, campsite 10 is not one of the better sites in the Park....

ive stayed at both 46 and 51.....

both sites have plenty of trees to hang hammocks....

at 46 years ago, when it was newly opened, had a few different stacks of cut up logs, from the trees they cleared to make the site...

not sure how much of that firewood still exists (as i know i was burning some of the logs, and sure others have as well)...

also, 46 has a small little water source that one can draw from, and if thats not running, the bigger stream is just a short walk away...

from my memory---for 51, had to walk out of campsite a little down to the stream................that could be wrong as it was 5 years ago i stayed there....

when i stayed at 51, it was also brand new and still had that "virgin" feel to it...........nice and clean and not stomped down.....

Images

if theres a choice of either staying at 46 or 51----i would take 51......

but im in a tent and 51 is a little easier for tent camping....

I will second what TNhiker said about 51. If I were in a tent, I would prefer 51. I think I would prefer 51 if I was with a 4 person hammocking group as well. I chose #46 when I hiked through that area since 51 allows horses, but after staying at 46, I think I would be willing to roll the dice for 51 instead.

When I stayed at #46, I was the only one there, so I got to pick my choice of fire rings. Even with getting my choice, the fire rings were less than ideal. With so little flat ground, I recall that I didn't really enjoy this campsite. That would have been even more pronounced if I was with a group of 4.

TNhiker says there are plenty of trees at 51 for hammocking, so I would go with 51. And even if you are forced to go to ground for whatever reason, at least you will have flatter ground. But on the other side, 46 will give you more seclusion since the available campsites are separated a bit from each other, and the campsite isn't built right next to the trail like 51. Also, 46 doesnt allow horses.

46 was an unattractive site when I was there 2 years ago. Looked like a lumber yard with all those logs laying around.

++ New Posts ++