WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Phone Service suggestions

I am coming from Latvia to hike the trail. I am looking for advice on what phone service to use? I will only need data so that i can message my friends on whats app and upload photos. Can anyone advise what the best data plan available is for someone with a GSM phone?

Your best deal is to buy a cheap smart phone and pre-paid service card. A serviceable phone can be had for as little as $20.00. There are various service plans, typically a 60 day plan with voice/text/data will run between $20 and $45 depending on options with many having international calling included. You would have to get someone to take you to a Walmart store to get one though.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

The main US carriers using GMS are T-Mobile and AT&T. Reception for both of them is spotty in the backcountry. You're better off following slo-go-en's advice.

Journal Entries

Get a $15 prepaid flip phone on Verizon and use to communicate with texts while on the trail. $10per month is more than enough for a couple texts a day.

You can get a StraightTalk sim for your GSM phone (assuming its the right frequencies, different countries use different frequencies) and use in towns with ATT service to do internet, etc. $45/mo , or just do wifi in town.

I have always had signal enough to get at least a text out..............using Verizon.
    There are wonders out there, now to find them.

Check out PagePlus. $10/120 days. I use that as our hiking phone since its on Verizon and can sometimes get out when ATT can't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

http://sectionhiker.com/appalachian-...l-phone-guide/ someone shared this link with me on face book. looks like ill be getting a straight talk sim and their $45 plan. It is a hard pill to swallow on a budget because my mobile in Latvia is $5 euro a month unlimited text and data. thanks all for the advice.

Have you looked into PagePlus cellular?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My step-mom can use her UK phone here in the US. Check to see if you can use your phone here before you spend money on something you don't need, especially in the eastern US. It will cost you more money than you currently pay, but would probably still be cheaper than doing the StraightTalk thing (which I have and like).

Welcome to the third world of cellular and internet communications.

++ New Posts ++