Thread: Rain Gear

Default Rain Gear

I'm planning to pack lightweight (duh) rain gear - pants and jacket. But I have some questions/uncertainties.
    1) Do I need them through SoCal?
    2) Why do people also bring an umbrella? I only find umbrellas useful when walking short distances in rain that's falling straight down. If it's windy, an umbrella is useless. If there's lightning, it's dangerous. Not something I was even considering until I saw others talking about it.
    3) What about a poncho?

Images

If I were hiking a traditional NoBo PCT hike I would take an umbrella, wind shirt and rain skirt. At Cascade locks I might reevaluate and go more robust. This is what I have been hiking with all fall and winter so far as I have seen a lot of rain. High winds would be my only concern with an umbrella but there are creative ways to latch the umbrella to your pack to deal with that.

One other factor is your start date and projected end date. I did a May 21st start date and only hiked in rain once in Ca and once briefly in Wa. The earlier you start the better chance you see rain. The later you end, same thing. I hit Canada in late August so I also missed out on the wet season up north.

Finally, do you hike warm? I tend to hike very warm and can get by with a lightweight base layer and wind shirt, wet or dry, down to about freezing. If you hike cold then a rain suit may make sense. I would sweat out a gallon of sweat if I wore one with temperature over freezing.

The umbrella is primarily for the sun, not the rain
    AT2015 GA-ME

Big poncho fan here. They are (or at least can be) extremely light, extremely versatile (ground sheet, shelter, rain-gear, etc), protect your pack as well as your core from rain, allow for good ventilation when working hard, allow you to do things like read maps and operate cell phones under shelter while it's raining by looking back down the neck hole. When I don't expect lots of rain or bugs (most but not all of the PCT) a poncho is all I carry for both rain-gear and shelter, so it can save a great deal of weight. It does take some practice to become super effective and relaxed using a poncho in marginal conditions, but they work surprisingly well.

A poncho is such pure blissful minimalism. They work wonderfully in most conditions and at least adequately when it gets marginal.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pajj View Post
    The umbrella is primarily for the sun, not the rain
    Why?.????.

I should rephrase that, I'M planning on using it primarily for the sun, not rain, because as said above it would be ineffective in slanted rain, lightning, and wind. I suspect it will provide a little cover from the rain but not completely. Against the sun it should provide excellent shade though and I expect it to be one of my most essential pieces of gear, at least until Kennedy Meadows
    AT2015 GA-ME

Quote Originally Posted by Pajj View Post
    I should rephrase that, I'M planning on using it primarily for the sun, not rain, because as said above it would be ineffective in slanted rain, lightning, and wind. I suspect it will provide a little cover from the rain but not completely. Against the sun it should provide excellent shade though and I expect it to be one of my most essential pieces of gear, at least until Kennedy Meadows
    My hiking umbrella does not have any metal parts to it. I use it in sun or rain, wind lighting but still a little scary. It helps.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by KathyD View Post
    I'm planning to pack lightweight (duh) rain gear - pants and jacket. But I have some questions/uncertainties.
    ... If there's lightning, it's dangerous. Not something I was even considering until I saw others talking about it...
    Quote Originally Posted by mtntopper View Post
    My hiking umbrella does not have any metal parts to it. I use it in sun or rain, wind lighting but still a little scary. It helps.
    Lots of lightning myths out there. Carrying an umbrella, whether metal or not, has no impact on your probability of getting hit by lightning. Nor does holding a trekking pole, or a golf club, or wearing metal golf spikes (though virtually no one wears these anymore anyway).

http://stormhighway.com/small_metal_...tning_myth.php

http://lightninginjury.lab.uic.edu/ltnfacts.htm

https://sciencebasedlife.wordpress.c...tning-strikes/
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Lots of lightning myths out there. Carrying an umbrella, whether metal or not, has no impact on your probability of getting hit by lightning. Nor does holding a trekking pole, or a golf club, or wearing metal golf spikes (though virtually no one wears these anymore anyway).

http://stormhighway.com/small_metal_...tning_myth.php

http://lightninginjury.lab.uic.edu/ltnfacts.htm

https://sciencebasedlife.wordpress.c...tning-strikes/
    Not trying to be snarky but from your second web link:
    "Carrying an umbrella increases my risk of being hit. "

True. Increasing your height by any amount increases your chances of being hit by a calculable amount, although a prospective, population-based, double-blind, randomized study has not been done to prove this, nor has the composition (metal versus composite or plastic) of the umbrella or one-iron been studied. Other dangerous things to avoid: avoid being the highest object anywhere, be it a beach, small open boat, pier, meadow, or ridge. Avoid being under a lightning rod (except when inside a substantial habitable building that is protected) or standing near a metal fence, underground pipes, or other metallic paths that can transmit lightning energy from a nearby strike. Avoid swimming, because lightning energy can be transmitted through the water to you. Sailboats should be equipped with adequate lightning protection systems.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    Not trying to be snarky but from your second web link:
    "Carrying an umbrella increases my risk of being hit. "

True. Increasing your height by any amount increases your chances of being hit by a calculable amount, although a prospective, population-based, double-blind, randomized study has not been done to prove this, nor has the composition (metal versus composite or plastic) of the umbrella or one-iron been studied. Other dangerous things to avoid: avoid being the highest object anywhere, be it a beach, small open boat, pier, meadow, or ridge. Avoid being under a lightning rod (except when inside a substantial habitable building that is protected) or standing near a metal fence, underground pipes, or other metallic paths that can transmit lightning energy from a nearby strike. Avoid swimming, because lightning energy can be transmitted through the water to you. Sailboats should be equipped with adequate lightning protection systems.
    To a minute degree it may have a very small effect. The tip of an umbrella, being a few inches higher, might attract the lightning bolt that was otherwise going to hit you in the head.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 01-06-2016 at 23:04.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Rain gear (jacket, pants, skirt) is really more about keeping you warm when it's a cold rain than keeping you dry. you will get wet no matter what. It may be from sweating inside the rain gear or from the rain itself, a 'plastic' wrap ( your rain jacket) will keep a lot of body warmth in.

The last 2 years it has been very cold, rainy and nasty at the ADZPCTKO. It can be very cold & wet in the desert.

I'll be bringing my umbrella, rain kilt, and OR helium II. I've heard that El Nino may bring a rainy spring (even in the desert). Probably packing rain pants once I get to WA.

Journal Entries

I use my rain jacket as an all purpose layer so I'll be taking it (mountain Hardwear stretch Ozonic) I'll be bringing umbrella as well. Rain pants later in pnw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

The storms can be pretty windy. I used a lightweight eVent shell and a long rain skirt. Would do the same again.

We had rain on our first day on the trail in 2010. It was cold. We had rain a few other times in southern California. Then we got snowed on in the Sierras.

I wouldn't bother with rain pants, at least until Washington or if you're wearing them for camp in lieu of long pants, but some sort of jacket to keep you warm and dry is a good idea.

SoCal can be really windy, so an umbrella is often impractical.

As far as rain gear/wind gear I like zpacks cuben fiber rain gear a lot.

For sun protection I wear the following:

OR Sunrunner cap
    Patagonia Sun Mask
    Sunglasses
    Beko Nose Sun Guard
    Long Sleeve Patagonia Sun Shirt
    Patagonia Sun Gloves(Your hands will fry without these)
    Gym Shorts
    Smartwool or Icebreaker micro light colored wool leggings

With all of this I'm completely covered from the sun. I'm always comfortable, and I never need sunscreen. Everything is white, or lightly colored, so it stays cool in the sun.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KathyD View Post
    1) Do I need them through SoCal?
    2) Why do people also bring an umbrella? I only find umbrellas useful when walking short distances in rain that's falling straight down. If it's windy, an umbrella is useless. If there's lightning, it's dangerous. Not something I was even considering until I saw others talking about it.
    3) What about a poncho?
    What other people's experience was could be irrelevant to your situation. Hiking in 2011 was a totally different situation than the last 4 years. Snow was a huge issue and much fewer people were able to finish the trail. This year is shaping up to be like 2011. That means plenty of snow and possibly lots of microspikes, glissading and possibly ice axe, in the Sierra. They'll likely be a much smaller weather window to hike in this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

LW rain jacket and rain kilt worked great for me. Switch to pants in Washington for warmth.

++ New Posts ++