WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default compression top base layer or other choice

I have been trying to test what works well for me and have a questions on what everyone else is wearing. I live in Chicago and the temps have been in the teens - 30. I have tried to wear compression base layer and a synthetic top and wind break for hiking but my chest gets cool. I still sweat. I have also tried to wear my smartwool shirt and a synthetic shirt over that with my wind break and this works better but still cool on top. The rest of my body is warm so I do not have a problem with being too cold. What is everyone else doing for there tops.

Journal Entries

Compression doesnt wick good, and restricts circulation, both bad.

150wt long sleeve merino baselayer, Patagonia R1 hoody and either a fleece vest and/or nylon anorak. Depending on wind and temperature. Can swap out a cap 4 hoody for the R1.

I understand your chest getting cool. Hate when the straps rub across the nips!
    Make sure you zip up a layer to the chin to create a microclimate; while loosening the chest strap. I am looking into a neck gaiter/buff that I asked about in another thread. Maybe a possibility for you.

Finally, I solve many cold/sweat problems of the upper body by switching headwear. The choice of what is on my head can improve the effeciency of my layering system tremendously.

Enjoy the tests hikes. I try to do the same thing once a week.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

I use long sleeve 50/50 merino wool/primaloft shirt by sherpa equipment with the rab xenon x hoodie. Keeps me warm down to about 25 comfortably

Cheep 100w fleece. Or a nice one if u prefer and afford ! Any color but I am sure green is warmest ;0) and coolest

thom

++ New Posts ++