WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Lifetime Section Hiker Berry Belle's Avatar

Default Recommendations for Room and Shuttle in Erwin, TN?

My husband and I will be spending a night in Erwin and will need a shuttle to Hot Springs. We will need a safe place to park in Erwin. Before deciding on a room and shuttle provider, I would like to hear from folks who have stayed in Erwin and who have used shuttles in that area.

Thanks!
    "Are we there yet?"

the best service in Erwin

http://www.hikershuttles.com/

http://www.cantarrosofarm.com/home.html - five stars!

I stayed at Cantarroso Farm last spring and really enjoyed the experience. It's a very artistic organic farm (with beehives) sited along the Nolichucky River, and you can get a shuttle into the center of town for errands and meals. Owners Mike and Peg do longer shuttles, but Hot Springs is not among the destinations listed on their website. You could inquire, of course, or just stay there and get a shuttle from 10-K.

There's Uncle Johnnies too.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

You can stay at Uncle Johnnys. It on the trail.
    Its not somewhere I would stay with my wife though.
    Or maybe I should just say, my wife wouldnt stay there with me. Or anyone else. Even some hollywood hunk.

If it were me, Id stay night before at the Mountain Inn in erwin, eat breakfast at the Huddle House at the gas station, then park at Uncle Johnnys next morning. Get them to set up a shuttle for you. When you get back to your car, you can shower at Johnnys and get clean before going home. If you used them for parking, they wont charge you or anything. If you used them for shuttle, they wont charge you for parking either.

Nothing easier. What Johnnys lacks in other areas, it makes up for in location.

The first day out of Hot Springs is surprisingly taxing. Some parts of trail between Hot Springs and Big Bald are surprisingly infrequently blazed as well, especially between Shelton graves and Big Bald. A few have complained of this over the years. Most disconcerting in fall when leaves are down and trail is obscured. One poster several years ago said he didnt know if he was on the AT or a pig trail. There is a part that is narrow and winding thru tight trees just below ridgeline which that could really be said of. I think it has one blaze in 1/4 mile or more, and that blaze appears to be original. Hard to tell if its a blaze or a blotch on tree bark.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-04-2016 at 21:27.

+1 on hiker shuttles.com. The best shuttle in the area. On time, insured and super people! I had a water bladder soak his trunk on it was like it never happened. They know the region and are hikers themselves.

I would vouch for all with a double thumbs up except Uncle Johnny's. It is not somewhere I would take a lady friend of any sorts.. I have stayed overnight once, and used their shuttle twice. Given them feedback and heard others agree, one of my worst trail service experiences all the way around.

On a much more positive note:

Both of LoneWolf's suggestions are excellent. 10-K (hikershuttles.com) is extremely flexible and reasonable. very knowledgeable on the area and for "Older quieter" hikers, they offer a room in their home as a sort of B&B I am 90% sure, at least they did 2 years ago...

Havent stayed at the farm but have only heard good things!
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Anither for hikershuttles.com
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

I parked at Uncle Johnnies and used their shuttle. No problems what so ever. Stayed there at the end of the trip, and started my next trip there as well. In my experience, great place, great service, friendly folks.

Lifetime Section Hiker Berry Belle's Avatar

Thanks for all the very helpful suggestions! I think it's going to be hikershuttles.com and the Mountain Inn.
    "Are we there yet?"

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Another for hikershuttles.com and Mountainview Inn, free protected parking at Mountainview.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I am not young enough to know everything.

++ New Posts ++