WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default busy times in PA

This summer we are hiking the Susquehanna to Mason Dixon line section. Any good guesses, data based projections, or unfounded but strongly held opinions about the most crowded or least crowded weeks?

Thanks
    R Joints
    1200 miles down but running out of time

Your three day weekends will be the most popular, but after 1200 miles this should be coming routine eh? Ill be heading to Pen Mar NoBo late May for 10 days. I have hiked with the bubble, in the south, in GA, in the Smokies, and crowds just don't really bother me. The AT is a social trail, so I expect and look forward to people watching and or making new friends. The Summer is a large range of time. Could be intercepting the North bound or the south bound thrus depending on early or late summer.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

The northbound bubble is most significant from Memorial Day to 4th of July in this area. Water sources from Cumberland Valley south aren't as droughty as to the north, if you hike Duncannon south mid-July to August it will be hot but likely only Darlington Shelter (just north of Cumberland Valley) spring will be dry.

I hiked this section northbound the first week of September, 2015. Saw very few hikers on the trail except for a crew of eight to ten SOBO thru-hikers at Darlington Shelter the last night. Water was plentiful everywhere, including the spring at Darlington Shelter. Weather was hot a couple days but otherwise perfect.

GA-ME Feb. 27th–July 1st, 2016 lwhikerchris's Avatar

Here in southern PA we see a lot of people during the whole month of June and some into July.

I saw thru hikers passing through Harpers Ferry 4th of July weekend two years ago...... Penmar is like two days away realistically.

++ New Posts ++