Journal Entries
    Images

Default Anyone start their hike by taking a boat shuttle up Ross Lake?

I'm looking into this option for the sheer excitement about it, but I'm having trouble finding which TH I would need to connect to the PCT's N terminus? Anyone have any info on this or know where to find it? I'm also wondering, if Ross is only 10-15 miles off the PCT, can I leave a package there & use that as my 1st resupply? Thoughts & info is appreciated.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

the PNT runs pretty close. I have a good map of the park. Let me see if I can find it.

Images

See the map section. The castle pass trail runs to castle pass, 3.8 miles from border. It would be a total of 26 miles from the campsite at lightening creek. As of 2011 you could resupply at Ross lake. I was originally planning on doing the PNT west off the pCT but snow made that plan counterfeit.
    image.jpg

http://www.nps.gov/noca/index.htm

http://www.nps.gov/noca/planyourvisi...slake_6-08.pdf

Never used the ferry on Ross Lake but hitched a boat ride from two fisherman. Various trails to take if you're not gung ho on getting on the PCT as far north inside the U.S. via trails. Most of the trails in this area aren't greatly used. I always felt i was "out there" on the PCT, NC NP, PNT, Pasyaten Wilderness, outskirts of Ross Lake Nat Rec Area, etc. Beautiful hiking. Come ready to hike if starting a PCT SOBO from here.

Did a loop involving hiking from Rainy Pass on the PCT north to Holman Pass veering off the PCT onto Devils Dome Tr into Ross Lake National Recreation Area to the East Bank Tr along scenic Ross Lake back to Hwy 20.

I haven't done it yet but you can mail a box to Ross lake Resort. I'll likely do that for my PNWT thru hike. http://www.rosslakeresort.com/faq.html

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    See the map section. The castle pass trail runs to castle pass, 3.8 miles from border. It would be a total of 26 miles from the campsite at lightening creek. As of 2011 you could resupply at Ross lake. I was originally planning on doing the PNT west off the pCT but snow made that plan counterfeit.
    image.jpg
    Thanks guys!! What map is this?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    Thanks guys!! What map is this?
    It is the NatGeo map for North Cascades NP.

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/n...l-map?npd&npd&

It's worth noting that the Castle Pass/Three Fools Trail is unmaintained. I found this trip report from 2013.

I've seen several recommendations to hike the PNT/Devil's Dome Trail from Devil's Junction to Holman Pass instead. Of course that's a boat ride plus 18 miles hiking to put you 17 miles from the border vs 30 miles from Hart's Pass.

I've looked at this as well as a possible way to start the PCT SOBO. One advantage seems to be that it should be easier to hitch from Concrete (where there is public transportation available from Seattle) to Ross Lake vs. hitching to Harts Pass. Shuttles to Harts Pass are $$$. Right now my strategy is to try to split a shuttle with a few other SOBOs to Harts Pass but I also will plan to look at the Ross Lake start as an alternate. Will post info here if I find anything interesting.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    It is the NatGeo map for North Cascades NP.

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/n...l-map?npd&npd&
    Thanks!! Ordered

++ New Posts ++