WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Memorial Day section hike - CT

Hi
    My buddy and I will be hiking the CT section of the AT over Memorial Day weekend. I have some questions:

Does anyone have a NOBO/SOBO elevation gain comparison for CT? I found one elsewhere on whiteblaze but it really didn't have state specific info...it was more shelter-to-shelter and the numbers didn't add up to what the numbers in AWOL's guidebook. I get the impression Southbound is less elevation; but northbound would get us on the trail faster since we'll be driving up from Maryland.

Is there a reliable shuttle to recommend?

Is it safe to leave the car near Hoyt Road (southern access points?)

The old mountain road that is on the West side of Bear Mtn...will shuttle drivers take hikes that way? This would cut off about 2-3 uphill miles vs. the Rt 7 access trails, but its a much longer drive.

Any other tips for CT in late May? Bad skeeters, crazy crowded?

thanks -
    james

Images

I did CT/MA and just into VT last May, perfect time IMHO. It was just starting to get a bit buggy in late May. I just starting hitting crowds in VT, long trail hikers. I practically owned CT and MA along the AT.

If the starting and ending points in CT are the same elevation, there would be zero difference, by definition, in elevation gain/loss going either direction. A quick glance shows that the elevation near the CT north end is a tad higher than the south end, but maybe 500 feet difference? Less than trivial.

Take CT from South to North, going the other way would be anticlimactic.

Several easy ways out to the road after Bear Mountain, and route 7 is definitely easier to get to by car.

Never left my car on Hoyt that long. Only a couple of spots in the woods there. Just around the corner is a bigger, busier lot.

I've parked at Hoyt Rd to day hike, but for multi-night parking you'd be safer parking at the next road crossing, which is Rte 55. Your car will be more visible. Park there and take the short .walk back to Hoyt Rd to start at the Ct border.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Images

The ATC website lists shuttlers for each state, if that helps.

I hiked to Kent from the Hudson River last May/June and plan to pick back up in Kent on May 16 this year and finish the state.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Good advice. that's exactly what i was wondering. thanks OG!
    james

Quote Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
    Take CT from South to North, going the other way would be anticlimactic.

Several easy ways out to the road after Bear Mountain, and route 7 is definitely easier to get to by car.

Never left my car on Hoyt that long. Only a couple of spots in the woods there. Just around the corner is a bigger, busier lot.

thanks Tom - i'm thinking NOBO is the way to go

Images

Look me up if you need a hand hand shuttling. I recently retired and live near the CT border, be happy to help out...
    “If there’s one thing the AT teaches, it is low-level ecstasy—something we could all do with more of in our lives.”

Images

The safest place to park is the Kent town hall,just about a mile from the rte 341 trail head,,,just fill out a form and tell them how long you plan to be there...the office for the resident state police is in the same building,,,,,,at least thats the way it was last year;;;

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hummy585 View Post
    Look me up if you need a hand hand shuttling. I recently retired and live near the CT border, be happy to help out...
    Sent you an email.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Hummy585 View Post
    Thanks Hummy. Yes, we could definitely use a shuttle from Paradise Lane Trailhead back down to Kent or Hoyt Rd/ Rt 55 (wherever we leave the car). Send me a direct msg if interested... AWOL also has some shuttles listed in his guide, and I'll check the ATC page too.

I'm also planning to do CT on Memorial Day Weekend, NOBO. I'm trying to find out where resupplies and stores are. When I did the second half of new york we ran into so many stores that we could have not packed any food and been fine. I don't want to over pack food again if I'm going to be finding stores every night. Anyone have any information on this?

Resupply is kind of a broad term, if you hitchhike or yogi rides from day hikers, nearly any road crossing or blue blaze access parking lot is a resupply jump off point. However there are a few along the way that are walkable.

I am drawing on memory, my AT maps and notes are at home, but Bulls Bridge at Rt 7 has a small store that may have things you are looking for and is close to the AT (don't take the sharp turn to the west and stay on the road running parallel to the river, then left on the first paved road, through the bridge to Rt 7. Kent center (east at the Rt 341 crossing) is not a bad walk and would have more selection of foods, both to eat there and take with you. Crossing Rt 4 at Cornwall Bridge, there is a small food mart at a Citgo station just south of the AT crossing (can't be seen from the crossing, but its about a half mile south along Rt 4). After that, there is a general store in Salisbury center that is within a reasonable walk of the AT crossing at Rt 41. I believe there is a larger grocery store further up Rt 44 in Lakeville, but thats more than a little walk. After that you won't hit any resupply points until Great Barrington (Sheffield?) MA along Rt 7.

Hope that helps!

The ATC' Data Book has basic supply info well worth the couple of bucks.

Images

traveler nailed it. all good suggestions. just to note when you come to bulls bridge road you just walk east on the road and through the bridge to the store. i can't think of a left turn anywhere to get there.
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

++ New Posts ++