WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: flip flop hikes

Default flip flop hikes

I just started contemplating a hike south from Harper's Ferry to Springer and then north from Harper's Ferry to Katahdin.
    I have a pretty fixed start date of the first week of March. I am coming from Latvia and tickets are already purchased as well as time off from life and family, so rescheduling is not an option.

Anyone know if it is possible to hike south from Harper's ferry as early as March 5th?

Will the trail conditions be to bad in March that far north? Maybe it will be to cold.

I am researching this but thought maybe someone here would already know.

my goal of course is to avoid the large crowds expected at Springer in early March.

any advice would be appreciated.

thank you

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

It is likely to be very cold and you will probably be postholing. Big snow storms roll through the mid-Atlantic in late Feb / early March, but the region is definitely hikeable by mid-to-late April.

At the very least, keep a list of shuttle services in the event you want to grab a rental car and relocate south. There are enough resources out there that a weather snafu shouldn't send you home. If you want it, you will make it happen.

It's really hard to say as this is not a normal winter. When it's in the 40's here in northern NH the first week of Feb, that just ain't natural. But March is still winter so anything can happen. My guess is you'll mostly have to deal with cold rain. While snow is possible, it's not overly likely or would be very long lasting. Always have an extra day or two of food with you just in case.

You'll be going through SNP while everything is still shut down so that section will be more difficult then usual, then south of there you run into some pretty big hills to climb over in quick succession. I hope your in really, really good shape right off the bat since your going to run into some good obstacles right off and the weather may or may not be on your side.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

What if you started further south in VA, headed south, then flipped back to where you started? There is nothing magical about using Harpers Ferry for the flip point. You might do slightly better weather/temperature wise starting further south. Trouble is that you'll hit the "bubble" head on in eventually, somewhere in TN or NC, and it will be less thinned out then if you started in Harpers. Shouldn't make that much difference though. At least if you started south of SNP and headed south and flipped back heading NOBO into SNP, the park services would be open by then.

Just thinking outloud.... Might be overall better to just start NOBO from springer since you have to start that early. Tough call.

Can the tickets be adjusted??

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Can the tickets be adjusted??
    no, but even if i could I still have commitments after my hike that are fixed.

I live not too far from Harper's, and have gone out in March and enjoyed the trail. There can be snow, and cold wind at times. There's no place to start on the AT in March that you won't need to expect this though. You planned hike is completely do-able, and sounds great to me! Enjoy!

Journal Entries

I'm starting a flip flop from Harper's Ferry in May - terminating my contract as well, departing from Bavaria. Congrats on your emancipation - and regards to one of my favorite cities.

How do you plan to resource food and supplies along your hike?

I have hiked in SNP in March before and it is still firmly winter there... Can be very cold. No hiker or tourist services. Snow storms are still very possible. I'm sure some people can start a SOBO hike from HF in early March but be prepared for winter conditions with little support or bailout options in the more remote areas. Personally I'd want a zero degree bag and a good sleeping pad with a high r value. Lacking both of these expensive items (and truthfully, lacking the interest in hiking in extreme cold and dealing with long long nights), I tend to not go on winter backpacking trips in the midatlantic area although I'll do short trips if the forecast is favorable. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I have hiked in SNP in March before and it is still firmly winter there... Can be very cold. No hiker or tourist services. Snow storms are still very possible. I'm sure some people can start a SOBO hike from HF in early March but be prepared for winter conditions with little support or bailout options in the more remote areas. Personally I'd want a zero degree bag and a good sleeping pad with a high r value. Lacking both of these expensive items (and truthfully, lacking the interest in hiking in extreme cold and dealing with long long nights), I tend to not go on winter backpacking trips in the midatlantic area although I'll do short trips if the forecast is favorable. Good luck.
    Sounds pretty dire. I guess ill put that idea aside and just start in the south. thank you for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by ajcajonel View Post
    I'm starting a flip flop from Harper's Ferry in May - terminating my contract as well, departing from Bavaria. Congrats on your emancipation - and regards to one of my favorite cities.

How do you plan to resource food and supplies along your hike?
    I will be resupplying in route with cash. Living in Latvia does not give me the luxury of having someone at home ship things to me as I go. I do have a few contacts in the states and will give them some likely addresses to mail stuff but I wont depend on it. I do plan to have some one ship my summer sleeping bag to Damascus so i can switch it out with my Marmot Never Winter. If they fail Ill just have to buy one at an outfitter.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    What if you started further south in VA, headed south, then flipped back to where you started? There is nothing magical about using Harpers Ferry for the flip point. You might do slightly better weather/temperature wise starting further south. ....
    Very unlikely because the southern sections of Virginia are at higher elevations, certainly compared to the first 50 miles out of Harpers Ferry. Altitude is more significant than latitude. If I were bound by the March 5 start date, I'd start further north, ideally Duncannon. That gives 2 weeks of hiking at lower elevations with more bailout points.

Quote Originally Posted by bugeyemonster View Post
    ... I do plan to have some one ship my summer sleeping bag to Damascus so i can switch it out with my Marmot Never Winter. If they fail Ill just have to buy one at an outfitter.
    If you start March 5, you'll reach Damascus in the first half of April - too early for your summer bag with the Southern high peaks coming up.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Very unlikely because the southern sections of Virginia are at higher elevations, certainly compared to the first 50 miles out of Harpers Ferry. Altitude is more significant than latitude. If I were bound by the March 5 start date, I'd start further north, ideally Duncannon. That gives 2 weeks of hiking at lower elevations with more bailout points.
    There ya go Bugeye.... have you thought about this? (starting at duncannon or so, heading south...)

Probably best just to start at Springer and deal with the hordes, as it seems you're resigned now to do. But looking at those starting-time bar charts, you should be slightly ahead of the average, and if you move at a decent clip (without hurrying), you should stay in front of quite a bit of the pack.

But overall, stay flexible and see what the actual conditions are and adjust. Just over four weeks to go! Enjoy this fantastic experience.

I would guess your flying into DC and from there you do have the option to travel to other parts of the trail.

There really isn't any good place to start in early March, but Springer would be better then most. At least there would be a lot of other hikers about and all the services you need like hostels and resupply places are open.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++