WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default MAPS/ Guthook/ Juice/ bounce box/ time is running out.

I purchased the "all maps" supposed special at the AT Conservancy - very expensive "special." It is a whole box of maps, maybe they are all useful. Maybe not. I am trying to heed the advice to not rely on just Guthook which we have downloaded and purchased his maps. I would like to be able to have a map and compass in case my electronics are not working. If I am lost where there is no signal or my phone is dead.....
    I guess I should have purchased the guidebooks with maps and perhaps then I would know what I had. I thought this package was the maps without the guide books. With the AT Guide (even though it is last years), I thought I could get by without guide books.

Has anyone order this box of maps and been able to make sense of them?
    For instance, they sent four maps of Pennsylvania. Sections 1-6, Sections 7-8, Sections 9-11(labeled Map 1) and Section 14 (labeled Map 4) . Are map 2 and 3 for the trail contained in some other map that isn't labeled Pennsylvania. If I get these all out and spread them out, perhaps I can tell but then I would not be able to return them and I am thinking that is what I need to do.
    they sent Map 9, 10 and 11 of the Potomic Trail Club maps for Shenandoah National Park. Do I not need Maps 1-8.
    They sent ATC maps 1-2 and 3-4 for The Great Smoky Mountains but also a National Geographic Great Smoky Mountains.
    Which do I use. Do I need all 3. I guess the ATC map is double sided.

While I was ranting I discovered that of the maps that go with the guide books, I am missing one Pennsylvania Map. I wonder if it is the section of the trail where someone was lost because they were missing that map?

Now comes the weight question? How do you handle all these maps without a bounce box or forwarding box.

We never really needed the maps for our Lone Star trail hike but they came in handy to follow ourselves along without using our Maprika and juice. We did have trouble keeping our phones juiced up even though we kept them on airplane mode most of the time.

I actually love maps. I am a little disjointed but so very excited! 61/2 weeks more of long hours at work, a month after that and we are on the trail.

Just looking at the website, it looks fairly simple from ME until the start of PA. At which point they include 5 maps that cover the entire state, then a bunch more maps that duplicate the state at different scale. Then I got bored trying to piece the bits together. I'd say there are duplicate maps you can leave at home, just choose the ones at the scale you like.

I already own the NH/VT maps. I read somewhere that the complete set typically goes on sale shortly before the spring. I plan on mail dropping map sections as well as guidebook fragments. Looking at the mess of mismatched maps they send you, I'm now tempted to buy maps as I go.

All I used was the ATGuide by David awol Miller . I had it loaded in my phone ,did not bring the book . Used a 10000 ma battery pack to charge my phone every few days . Keeping the phone on airplane mode the battery lasts much longer. Other hikers had maps and they were nice to look at .

Good luck with the maps thom

I just have the md and pa maps so far. I agree they are confusing, not sure how they came up with the numbers, but they do fit together. I am section hiking. I could not imagine trying to carry all the maps. even on a week long hike I just copy the maps, cutting them down to size I really need. likewise I copied the pages I needed from the thru hikers Companion guide and cut those down to minimal size. That packet went into a zip lock with current pages where I could see them without having to open the bag. This is fairly light. I think if doing a thru I would download the pdf of the book to my phone and leave it at home. I also have the Guthook maps for md/pa and I like those a lot, I still use the printed pages about as much as the app. If a did a thru, I'd have other things I would want to mail, so I'd probably include the appropriate maps in those boxes.

The PA maps are produced by different trail groups and have different numbering and style because of that. The southern pa sections are preduced by patc and have a style similar to maps for md and northern va.

Images

All the maps are produced by the local trail groups; that's why they are all so different. Some are much better than others.

You could get the National Geographic map set. This is new so I don't have any info on them. Looks like there are 13 maps, maybe. At least they would be consistent.

Or you could get the 3-book set of maps from Postholer. These are smaller, 6x9 pages, but they would be convenient.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Default MAPS/ Guthook/ Juice/ bounce box/ time is running out.

I understand why people like paper maps, but I've also heard that the majority of thru hikers don't rely on the paper maps. I took this for more of a section hiker thing, when you're truly out there to stop and smell the roses (although there are some thrus who use maps, yes, yea I know).

Obviously, it's too late now since you've spent the money, but my suggestion would be to use AWOL's guide as your primary, and Guthooks's as your secondary, practicing good battery management on your phone.

Since you're talking about forwarding maps to other parts of the trail I'm going to assume you're hiking a long distance (or perhaps a thru), so this problem could also be solved by starting with what you need and having someone mail you the sections as required.

Most folks don't use maps for the AT, but if you like maps...

As Bigcranky mentioned, we have the 6.x 9 Postholer Pocket Maps. But we also have 8.5x11, spiral-bound, a new edition this year. Both our sets are complete with section and individual elevation profiles, climate data, land data and tons of info not found elsewhere. The topo data is current, not 30-60 years old. You can also preview all of New Hampshire. They will cost you less than half of what you paid for maps. You may also find the online AT Data Book useful.

Postholer, I just clicked on your link to the data book. Sec 1 Springer to Hiawassee. It appears that there is an error reference next water. At mile 4.71 pond/lake it shows next water as 133.8 miles. I'm sure this is an error. Is it something you are aware of?
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    It appears that there is an error reference next water. At mile 4.71 pond/lake it shows next water as 133.8 miles. I'm sure this is an error. Is it something you are aware of?
    Yes, the 'next water' will be removed in the next iteration, as they are obviously wrong. Only the PCT should have that column!

Thanks for paying attention and pointing that out.

-postholer

relax. time does not actually run out. It's not a finite resource, it's like energy...there's the same amount of it that here has always been. The map stuff will work itself out, too. I carried them. get a friend to mail them to you as appropriate. For example,get your Pa & NJ maps just before you get there...not when you are in NC or Mass.And the people who tell you not to carry them? They won't but will want to look at yours. Have fun!

++ New Posts ++