WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    First off, let's not forget that this video is an advertisement for REI, period. And by the looks of it, it was professionally done, thus it's designed to give us that "feel good" feeling and to go out and buy more stuff...

Secondly, I don’t accept “trail magic” anymore. Actually I stopped after only a few times of participating in 2006, when I was first introduced to this practice. I refused to accept a ride to someone’s house that was serving everything a hiker could want -- eggs, pancakes, sweet buns, fruits, jucies, coffee… I just got sick of being interrupted in my hike; I really do believe “trail magic” is more for the giver than the recipient. It was not just a matter of saying, "No Thanks". I had to assure them that I really didn't want their "magic" -- PIA. I wish it were as easy as just saying NO.

I subsequently talked to a few of the hikers that accepted the ride/“trail magic” and it turns out that they had to listen to a sermon by some pretty serious holy rollers before being fed – I thought that was funny.

Like I said, I now do not participate in “trail magic”, but when I say, “no thanks”, that’s not the end of it. People ask me, “are you sure?”, “it’s free.”… It can be very annoying and it continues when I meet back up with the other hikers and they ask me more questions, trying to understand why I don’t want it. It’s kind of like the same experience when a drunk(s) wants you to drink with them, as if they can’t enjoy themselves unless you sit there and drink with them – freakin’ pathetic.

When you say, no, you’re looked at as some kind of freak, really annoying. However, I understand that this practice is here to stay and I’m a minority in the AT community WRT this issue, so I won’t really debate it anymore. I’ll just have to resign myself to appearing as a weirdo when I refuse “trail magic”. An example of AT’ers not accepting diversity in opinion when that opinion seems to be so strange, in their view, thus they treat minorities, such as me, with disdain.
    Pretty convincing post about why you don't like the hiker feed. I understand that. Being a minority has never been easy in life to be honest, most of the time one should pay the price or develop a thick skin.

I have a neighbor here that are a very nice couple . I like listening to their world war II stories(both their fathers have been in that war) but when they invite me for dinner I always find an excuse to decline because they have the sermon that is not compatible with my beliefs. I live in a small town of 2500 people with five active churches , but it is what it is and I am a minority who has to either pay the price or develop a thick skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Also curious about posters who declare what is and what is not trail magic.
    Trail magic happens every morning I'm backpacking - in a 6-8" deep well dug hole.

as someone who is on a tight budget, I'm super excited about the prospect of free food on the trail.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    What's your favorite angle? Mine is 90 degrees, but I'm partial to acute angles, too.

(Just a visit from the spelling police)
    Dont be obtuse. Not everyone can be right.

GET IT?
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

I am a Hanger... A 30º angle is the only angle for me. Perfect comfort angle.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AlyontheAT2016 View Post
    as someone who is on a tight budget, I'm super excited about the prospect of free food on the trail.
    Some of your prior posts indicate that you want to avoid the "NOBO bubble", aren't leaving until the end of April or even early May, that you try to only eat organic, free range meats, and quality foods. Honestly, good luck on free food that fits into that plan. The hiker feeds aren't going to feature premium grass fed beef and they are mostly timed to service "the bubble".
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

I am starting April 6th in Springer. Bring on the bubble! I will gladly accept any trail magic regardless of where the angel's awning is set up. The closer to the trail the better. Even if I have to listen to a time share salesman's pitch I probabally would be up for the eggs and bacon breakfast. Would I rely on Ponytail Paul's buckets to get me through any stretch of the trail, no! But what would be so wrong with noshing on one of his hot dogs?

If I was looking for a place to be alone the AT would not be it. I would kick it at my place in East Texas like I have for the last 10 summers fruitlessly trying to keep up with the grass that seems to grow as it is brush-hogged. In fact, if anyone here has had enough of the AT crowds and wants to spend a lonely summer by yourself, I am looking for someone to cut the grass. I have a big John Deere and it is fun to drive and I promise you there will be no pesky do gooders showing up asking if you need a wiener. I will leave a few cases of Ozarka water at the summer kitchen....trust me you will need it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    The trail angel said and I quote" I am helping them and they are helping me at the same time". What else do you expect him to say? Seems like genuine guy to me.

Although it is hard for some angels to deeply understand why a hiker my refuse their food , nobody would forcefully feed you. You don't appreciate the hiker feed? just move on . It is not like they are gonna run after you with a burger in their hand ups and down the trail.
    Kookork, thank you for the laugh. I hope to meet good humoured peeps like you on my journey. I mean, never mind a bear or a moose, being chased down the AT by a hamburger wielding trail angel is an image burned into my brain.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JaketheFake View Post
    Kookork, thank you for the laugh. I hope to meet good humoured peeps like you on my journey. I mean, never mind a bear or a moose, being chased down the AT by a hamburger wielding trail angel is an image burned into my brain.
    Thank you for your kind comment. I am going to measure the length of PCT in 2016!!!. After hiking so many trails , long and short, all solo( with my dog so really kind of solo) and talking to myself for weeks, I love to experience a social trail like AT or in some degrees PCT. We have a saying in Persian : Talk while hiking and you make the trail shorter. (or something like that).

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Some of your prior posts indicate that you want to avoid the "NOBO bubble", aren't leaving until the end of April or even early May, that you try to only eat organic, free range meats, and quality foods. Honestly, good luck on free food that fits into that plan. The hiker feeds aren't going to feature premium grass fed beef and they are mostly timed to service "the bubble".
    I never said I was expecting what you describe above. However, now you apparently have a complete understanding of my daily never changing eating habits based on a few posts I made on the internet. I don't have a prescribed food plan, never said I did. In fact it's the last thing I want to be worrying about. If given a choice, however, bla bla bla... you get the picture.

Free food is free food.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    What happened to HYOH philosophy of each decides for himself or herself what hiking the trail is all about and what is right or wrong for him/her?

Also curious about posters who declare what is and what is not trail magic.
    Trail Angels have been around for a very long time.

One thing that has changed is where they interact with hikers. It used to be (for the most part) hikers passed thier homes or businesses, or made themselves known thru the trail grapevine or with note posted in shelters and signs.

Big difference now-- today's Angels (in large measure) actively seek out hikers on trail Trail itself.

That changes everyone's hike.

Its OK to have an opinion regarding the actions of others that change everyone's hike.

i value Peddling Fool's opinion on this.

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    What's your favorite angle? Mine is 90 degrees, but I'm partial to acute angles, too.

(Just a visit from the spelling police)
    I haven't any inclination.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    I just got sick of being interrupted in my hike; I really do believe “trail magic” is more for the giver than the recipient.
    I have thought this same thing for a few years now.

I think there needs to be a distinct separation between trail magic and hiker feeds. The recent article in AT Journeys discusses this very same topic.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Trail Angels have been around for a very long time.

One thing that has changed is where they interact with hikers. It used to be (for the most part) hikers passed thier homes or businesses, or made themselves known thru the trail grapevine or with note posted in shelters and signs.

Big difference now-- today's Angels (in large measure) actively seek out hikers on trail Trail itself.

That changes everyone's hike.

Its OK to have an opinion regarding the actions of others that change everyone's hike.

i value Peddling Fool's opinion on this.
    And...you never met one of them and heard them say "Hello I'm your trail angel". You never heard one of them say "I'm going to go out and do magic today or this weekend if there are enough hikers to make it worth it"

They were titled angels by hikers and the word was passed.

Some things about the "good old days" made for pleasant surprises.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    This makes me second guess my decision to hike the trail. Seriously, I want get out in nature, not deal with annoyingly helpful people wanting to feel better about themselves by donating junk food to people on vacation.
    I don't think its a constant barrage of feeds and magic and if you want the solitude of nature, then the AT may not be the ideal trail for you. But you have a great point about donating food to people on vacation. With all the poverty-stricken areas that the trail winds through, I'd think the food donation would be better used at a local food bank or shelter for people that really need it, not someone on the AT that planned poorly (and is a hitchhike away from a resupply in most areas). I don't think many thru hikers find themselves out on the AT for months against their own will. The person in line at the food bank however...

I confess I don't understand the motivation but if anyone ever offered me free junk food after a week of living on freeze-dried noodles, I sure wouldn't turn them down. But since I tend to do my hiking outside the bubble, so far it's never happened to me. Maybe that's your solution, Peddling Fool.

However, I confess that I did get a free shuttle into Franklin from a fellow hiker's wife once and she brought enough Gatoraid for everyone who could fit in the truck. I even got a seat inside! Does that count? I guess it never occurred to me to snarl at her and complain that she was ruining my hike -- so I merely said thank you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++