WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Do you have a weird hiking quirk?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I tap nearly every over-hanging weed or long grass blade that juts out into the trail. Knowing ticks like to sit out on the ends of these things and latch onto you makes me want to knock off any that might be there. It's probably the one OCD compulsion I allow myself on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by denimlabels View Post
    I do this weird thing when Im alone in the woods and got nothing in particular going on in my mind which is the way I like it. I start talking back to the birds. You know....making human bird sounds back to birds that are communicating with one another. Its become a habit now for quite a while now. It may sound crazy, but some birds will answer you back, or at least TRY to communicate with you. I find it highly amusing.

It all started when I spent some time in Dutch Harbor Alaska. The first thing you will notice about that rock in the Pacific if you ever get there is that the Island has a huge population of large Ravens. I would be walking down the road to get somewhere and these Ravens would be sitting on the hills in the grass just squawking and squawking, barking at humans like dogs! Loudly! So I started squawking back just to block them out. Eventually this led me to understand that these Ravens really were trying to interact somehow. I thought Ravens, (Crows) were just as dumb as any other bird. They certainly are not!
    I do the same thing...the owls always seem to hoot back.

And ravens and crows are classes as some of the smartest birds, rivaling dogs in how they learn.

Quote Originally Posted by denimlabels View Post
    I do this weird thing when Im alone in the woods and got nothing in particular going on in my mind which is the way I like it. I start talking back to the birds. You know....making human bird sounds back to birds that are communicating with one another. Its become a habit now for quite a while now. It may sound crazy, but some birds will answer you back, or at least TRY to communicate with you. I find it highly amusing.

It all started when I spent some time in Dutch Harbor Alaska. The first thing you will notice about that rock in the Pacific if you ever get there is that the Island has a huge population of large Ravens. I would be walking down the road to get somewhere and these Ravens would be sitting on the hills in the grass just squawking and squawking, barking at humans like dogs! Loudly! So I started squawking back just to block them out. Eventually this led me to understand that these Ravens really were trying to interact somehow. I thought Ravens, (Crows) were just as dumb as any other bird. They certainly are not!

I whistle all the time, especially in periods of mindlessness. Often times I'll be whistling specific bird calls that I've heard, and I'll whistle back to the birds when I hear them.

Journal Entries
    Images

You're all weirdos and I love it.
    In addition to everything in my OP, including the blindfolded tent setup (IT'S SO HARD) i do this thing when i'm hiking or in any difficult situation really where i interview myself in the style of a late night tv host. We talk about how awesome i'm doing.
    Or sometimes I give Oscar acceptance speeches.
    You know, as one does.

Use to work with a guy that talked to dust bunny's in a real low monotone Bill Murray voice from caddy shack and then suck em up in a vacuum while cleaning our work space, use to get a real kick outta some of his dialog.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Use to work with a guy that talked to dust bunny's in a real low monotone Bill Murray voice from caddy shack and then suck em up in a vacuum while cleaning our work space, use to get a real kick outta some of his dialog.
    Just stopping by to say that mental image is hilarious!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++