WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sleeping Bag for AT Summer Section-Need Advice!

I need your advice before I spend $, White Blazers!
    I am planning on doing an extended section hike between Hot Springs, NC and Roanoke, VA starting the first of June and finishing by the first of August. I'd like to cut weight by carrying a lighter bag than my 15 degree Big Agnes Lost Ranger. I've been eyeing an Enlightened Equipment 40 degree quilt coupled with a silk sleeping liner. Will I be warm enough? Can I get away with a 50 degree or without a liner?
    Thanks in advance for your help!

First off, sounds like a great hike! As to the bag temp ratings, they are subjective and depend on how warm a sleeper you are. A 40 deg. bag would be fine for most folks from June to Aug, without liner. A 50 deg. bag would work for me for that time of year too.

So, its very possible for the temps in the high country between Hot Springs and Elk Park (your first week or so) to get fairly chilly at night - occasionally below freezing in early June. If you could manage it, I recommend a 30 degree bag for that section and have your 50 degree bag waiting for you at the Elk Park PO - you'll have way lower elevations and warmer temps after that. Best of luck, sounds like a great hike.
    Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

As mentioned, you may get some chilly nights the first part of that trip. I tend to sleep cold. If it was me, I'd bring a true 50 degree quilt but also carry some light insulation (like a 100 wt fleece) and a hat. You may appreciate the light insulation and hat after a late afternoon thunderstorm goes thru and drops the temp at night around camp.

Images

My summer bag is the Snugpak Jungle bag. LOVE it! THey also make a blanket/quilt version. Found out about it on a favorite hiking VLOG and at $58 its one of the best investments in hiking gear I've made. Check it out. With a liner I can get in to fall temps and use in early spring and its small and light.
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

A key thing to consider is how cold/warm you sleep! There are times when I am out with a friend who sleeps "warm" and is comfortable in just a fleece blanket, while I am freezing in a 50 degree bag.

It also matters what quality bag you get. The cheaper bags from big box stores are not as warm as they claim.... their 50 degree rating means you will not die in it at that temperature; whereas, a quality (more expensive bag) with a 50 degree rating means you may be comfortable at that rating.

Personally, I would not go in less than a 50 degree bag in the summer - and even then, I have been cold in it - wearing a fleece top and leggings.

++ New Posts ++