Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2016 Kit List

You've had some great advice here. If you are looking to cut weight without spending too much money then go over to Steepandcheap.com They are one of the best places I have found to buy good gear for reasonable prices. They have a Kelty down bag and a Marmot down bag for under $150. There are also several tent options for under $200, but at that point you may as well by a Lightheart SoLong for that price, or any of the silnylon tents by Six Moon Designs, Mountain Laurel Designs, Hyperlight Mountain Gear, Gossamer Gear etc

1) Good call with the scale, I'll grab one or borrow one and get my weights more accurate first thing because for many I am estimating and comparing to items that I know the weight of from the internet but I agree with what I think your point is, I can cut weight with accurate weighing methods and that will help me better understand where I can or should cut weight in the future. I have not weighed most items, most are weights from REI, MEC, and SAIL websites, or packages or estimated, for the record. So many items are over estimated.

2)Good call, Toiletries will be cut down to bare essential for resupply points are never more than 7 days away at most. Thanks for the tip on containers! I'm always looking for reusable ones for stuff like that! Yea thats the XL travel towel weight but it will get cut to less than half before its packed. Youre right a full towel is to much I might have been just babying it because I could have gotten a smaller one Good Idea in general though, I should get all the toiletries beside me and figure out how much I will really use between resupply points, and more accurately weigh each item like your first point said, and using smaller improvised containers.

3) I will definitely check for a smaller stuff sack to use for my food bag, I will see how small I can get away with. Also, I was considering using the bear canister for the whole trip, especially now since I plan on only getting rom mexico to tuolomne meadows. It will weigh more, weight I do not need, but with my osprey volt 75 it will easily fit and help make sure I do not over pack the back pack. Also osprey Volt 75L and Atmos 65L = the same weight, so I think I'll use my volt 75L because I lust over Osprey bags lol. I probably wont use the bear canister until I have to but I think it would fit, and be less of an impact on the environment, but maybe not enough to justify the weight you are right.

4) For the record the weight listed included a full resupply of water and a full resupply of the most amount of food that I will carry. 6 days of food and water =25 lbs approx. It will rarely weigh below 5 lbs but rarely will it add the full 25lbs of extra weight to my pack. Great cheap ideas though and some I definitely have not thought of or heard yet! thanks!

For spending money, these are great tips to!
    1) My osprey volt 75L weighs the same as the osprey atmos 65L which I have heard of many people using and enjoying on the PCT. So for how much I love it I will ditch the top pocket and use the Volt 75L. I will just have to make sure I do not try to over pack the bag since it is larger and I have been given that advice a lot, not to over pack and that you will try if your bag is too large. My second choice is your ZPacks arc haul zip dyneema though, I have been looking at it for some time now! It looks and reviews fantastic.
    2) I am for sure going to order some silnylon online and sew my own tent, or my aunt will see me try once on her machine I know she'll let me use, and then take over, she'll want it done super good once she learns what it is for, she is the biggest worry wort in the world. So I think that I can get a really nice tarp sewn up for about 70$ or less in materials I do not have, und use paracord I have enough of for guy lines and my MSR ground hog stakes, I would have to get trekking poles though($30-200), but I think will end up being worth it the more I think about it so might as well have them pull double duties. Or back up plan is if I find a one person tent, under 40 ounces total for under 175$ before tax I will buy that instead probably.
    3) I like the sierra designs zissou 23 sleeping bag from REI for 200$, I might go with that
    4) I personally have not liked the look of the sawyer squeeze since I first saw it, I don't like the bladder under pressure way it functions mostly. That being said based on recommendations it is what I'm going to get, everyone loves them so they must at least work and thats what I need. Light weight and working. I will carry back up water purification tabs though in case the sawyer freezes or breaks, off chance but still.
    5) Marmot Hangtime Down 700 fill with down defender mens jacket. 1lb 6.1oz, or 22.1 ounces, or 626.5 grams, thats what the Marmot website said. I like the jacket, nice and warm but not crazy hot, I wouldnt plan to wear it at 10F as my only warm layer but you could easily survive without much discomfort I've found.

Thanks for the ideas! they really help and I appreciate them! cheers!

I think I got the weight to a way more reasonable point, currently with a full supply of all consumables my pack weight 55lbs, thats with 14lbs or 7 days worth of food and 6L or over 12lbs of water and 2.5 pound bear can. Base weight is currently at 22lbs.

1) I have not changed my pack, as I feel the weight is reasonable as long as I am mindful of over packing.
    2) I have changed my sleeping bag and shelter system to much lighter and smaller versions, I think based on others points that it will be well worth it in the long haul.
    3) I also ditched the MSR filter and am going to get a sawyer squeeze. I keep the MSR stove with canister fuel as I find it easier and to be in the end, and not that much heavier than an alcohol stove, the fuel, heat reflector, pot, lid, and handle.
    4) items are more accurately weighed at the moment but some are still estimated or over shots, or recommendations of how much I will need for about 4-7 days at a time.

Http://lighterpack.com/r/1vxiyt

Other than in the desert and and occasional sections you won't need to carry nearly 6L of water, and the bear can is only necessary in the Sierras

Quote Originally Posted by ConnorAnderson View Post
    I think I got the weight to a way more reasonable point, currently with a full supply of all consumables my pack weight 55lbs, thats with 14lbs or 7 days worth of food and 6L or over 12lbs of water and 2.5 pound bear can. Base weight is currently at 22lbs.

1) I have not changed my pack, as I feel the weight is reasonable as long as I am mindful of over packing.
    2) I have changed my sleeping bag and shelter system to much lighter and smaller versions, I think based on others points that it will be well worth it in the long haul.
    3) I also ditched the MSR filter and am going to get a sawyer squeeze. I keep the MSR stove with canister fuel as I find it easier and to be in the end, and not that much heavier than an alcohol stove, the fuel, heat reflector, pot, lid, and handle.
    4) items are more accurately weighed at the moment but some are still estimated or over shots, or recommendations of how much I will need for about 4-7 days at a time.

Http://lighterpack.com/r/1vxiyt
    I would completely forget about computing your pack weight with food and water and solely focus on your base weight. You will figure out your food within a resupply or two and water is a moving target depending upon the water report etc. If you have your base weight to about 22 pounds, you are already in the ballpark. You do not need a base weight of 10 pounds to have a successful trip. In fact, you will find most on the trail are closer to your 22 pound base weight than to a 10 pound base weight. Obviously cut where you can but don't sweat it too much....
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

So if you can afford it, I'd get a lighter pack; could easily save 2 pounds there; that's a whole day of food or a liter of water. Some other ideas that are free or relatively cheap: take TP instead of the much heavier wet wipes; take only the Neosporin and not the Vaseline (Neosporin is in a vaseline base); no need for toothpaste; take zipoff pants instead of both pants and shorts; take a lighter stove (lighter canister system if you must have that, or Esbit or alcohol burner if you don't). Study others' PCT gear lists for ideas.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

22 pounds would have been considered a reasonable base weight 15-20 years ago, I think. I hiked the first 1/3 of the trail nobo last year and had a base weight of around 15 pounds and I think that I was fairly typical. There were definitely some hikers carrying heavier loads, although I think most of them had a slower pace (based on the people I passed vs. kept seeing on the trail).

If I had to choose between hiking with a 22 pounds base weight or not at all, I would absolutely go with the 22 pound base weight - no question at all. As it stands I'm heading SOBO on a thru hike with a base weight of around 13 pounds this year. I have a lighter sleeping bag and plan to go stoveless.

Good luck

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

I hope you're planning to pack out all of those wet wipes. They are not biodegradable and should not be buried anywhere on the trail.

http://www.sonorapassresupply.com/used-gear/

used gear ear might work for u

Connor,

The list looks lighter and lighter every time I open it. Very impressive weight loss since yesterday. I would reconsider the Lifestraw - it's light but you can't fill a clean water container with it; you can only use it for drinking. That makes it no good for filtering cooking water. Sawyer would be a better choice.

What do the asterisks and different star colors mean?

Quote Originally Posted by damskipi View Post
    Connor,

The list looks lighter and lighter every time I open it. Very impressive weight loss since yesterday. I would reconsider the Lifestraw - it's light but you can't fill a clean water container with it; you can only use it for drinking. That makes it no good for filtering cooking water. Sawyer would be a better choice.

What do the asterisks and different star colors mean?

Thanks! everyones tips are helping a lot! I plan on doing very little cooking on the trip so I think I can get away with using my aqua mira like solution I've seen others using, to treat my cooking water, as I will only be rehydrating food for dinner at most. What do you guys think?

I might have to fly to get there as I live in Toronto, stars indicate items I can carry on and therefore pretty much guarantee they wont get lost, items that I will purchase in California or mail to myself in California, and items that I will check for a flight or maybe mail to myself in California.

Asterisks indicate items that I already own and will most likely make the final cut, things like a tooth brush and my retainer are things that I cant see cutting, same with the bear vault, I might not always carry it but I am certain that I will at some point, other than things of that nature anything is subject to change at the last second or along the trail

If you're on a budget but need some new/different gear, I'd highly recommend keeping an eye on ebay or your local Craigslist for some used gear. I picked up a like new Osprey Exos on ebay for $135 plus free shipping. If you're patient, you should be able to find some great used gear at reasonable prices.

Also, I purchased a brand new Big Agnes Seedhouse from backcountry.com for $125. It's an older model, but I'm happy with it. I could have spent a few hundred more dollars and saved a few ounces, but being frugal is important to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ConnorAnderson View Post
    Its really discouraging that when I ask for advice, all I hear is that my kit is to heavy and to basically go home. None much of this equipment existed 15 years ago and people managed, and when it was available back then it was not nearly as light or available and people managed. As for 62.5 pounds, I didn't plan on carrying 6 litres of water 24/7 and could not find enough water to if i tried, based on water reports, so weight 62.5 lbs is skewed by at least 5 pounds. But I totally agree the pack is still to heavy in total....

-Thanks for the weights, mine were estimates, I wanted to over not under shoot the weight so cheers!
    !
    I struggle to get my weight under 24 lbs. without food or water. What you say about the cost of ultralight options is valid however. So is the tent issue (in my case I would be happy to do with a tarp-tent, but the skeeters in New England are horrendous.)
    I have already gone to an alcohol stove, a Chinese copy of a Trangia (although I may return to a multi-fuel or wood burner for up to 4 or 5 nights. I could always do a cat food stove (I have made dozens, but really do not like the lack of control.)
    I may go to a 1.5 man tent (actually a hooped bivy) to save another two or three lbs. over my extensively modified Appy Tent (actually a single wall tarp tent that I modified with storm flaps and mosquito netting. It works fine but is too large for my needs. A smaller model might work, but I dread having to modify another...the first was not easy.) Never I can sometimes find a friend deluded enough to accompany me, although never for 5 nights. On those occasions I obviously need room for two.
    I have two ultra light sleeping bags that can be used together as one colder temp bag, so I am good there, esp. when weather is warm and I only need one.
    Not sure where to go from here. I have got to get the weight down if I am to do 5 days without stopping for a store. I refuse to take less than about 2.3 lbs of food per day. Often 2.5 or a bit more to satisfy my gourmet side.

Lots of great ideas in this thread! perhaps this will help you some also...
    http://www.pmags.com/300-gear-challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmountainguy View Post
    I struggle to get my weight under 24 lbs. without food or water. What you say about the cost of ultralight options is valid however. So is the tent issue (in my case I would be happy to do with a tarp-tent, but the skeeters in New England are horrendous.)
    Quoting myself above since I cannot edit. I think the big issue is my tent. Actual weight of pack in temperate weather is at least 25 lbs. (I had forgotten to include a jacket and extra clothing, if any.) I
    Tent: I remember keeping dry in horrendous downpours under a plastic sheet when I began the sport more than 40 years ago. It was the bugs that drove me into a tent and honestly, while I have a huge tent tarp that I fitted with mosquito netting, I would like the weight down more. Maybe 3 lbs with netting.
    I could maybe reduce my canteens to two (with an empty bladder for backup) or maybe go to soda bottles. I carry three now, one with a quick opening sip option for night drinking. That might save another three ounces.
    I would like to get rid of my ensolite pad and maybe get something like the type that fold into a block, but as with anything, the cost. It might not save weight anyway.
    I guess in some ways it comes down to that. Money for an ultra light tent to replace other models I now own. It would help to have a companion to take part of the load for community stuff, but I mostly cannot find anyone to come along. The price of aging, I suppose.
    So, my poverty has me pretty much locked into the gear I have. Maybe I just have to do with carrying less. I do would love to get my pack down to 20 lbs. though. I have seen thru hikers with tiny stuff, with food at 15 lbs. It is to dream.

You can buy an Essentia 20 ounce bottle of water with a push-pull top for night use. The same top fits their 1 and 1.5 liter bottles. The 1.5 liter bottle is the best weight/volume deal at 34 grams.
    Ensolite is heavy as lead. Any foam pad made in the last 20-30 years will be lighter.
    You can buy any number of fully weather and bug proof tents at or below 2 pounds for less than $300. The TarpTent (company name) ProTrail is 26 ounces and closer to $200.
    Water bladders are heavy. Reusable super market water bottles are lighter and quite durable.
    Good luck.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++