WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by hepatica View Post
    Hmmm... The state park regulations say otherwise, unless you are privy to additional information that I don't have.
    Quote from the GMC guidebook: "Between Birch Glen Camp and the Winooski river, the Long Trail is, for the most part, in Camel's Hump State Park. The remainder is on Private lands. On both State and Private lands, camping anywhere but at the GMC shelters is Prohibited. In addition, on State land, tenting at a shelter is permitted only if the shelter is filled to capacity."
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Quote from the GMC guidebook: "Between Birch Glen Camp and the Winooski river, the Long Trail is, for the most part, in Camel's Hump State Park. The remainder is on Private lands. On both State and Private lands, camping anywhere but at the GMC shelters is Prohibited. In addition, on State land, tenting at a shelter is permitted only if the shelter is filled to capacity."
    I have read the guidebook. I also read the Camel's Hump State Park camping regulations which are posted at the trailhead, and which do seem to offer a small window for primitive camping. Specifically, the regulations state primitive camping is allowed below 2500 ft, away from trails, roads, etc., standard LNT rules. According to the Camels Hump trail map, the LT travels about a half mile to a mile through the lower elevations of the park before entering the wildlife management area where camping would be prohibited. So, perhaps this is a grey area, but I would read the regulations as allowing one to quietly set up out of site not to far from the trailhead for the State Park on the Jonesville side. Guess we all have to make our own choices about how to interpret conflicting information.

Quote Originally Posted by hepatica View Post
    So, perhaps this is a grey area, but I would read the regulations as allowing one to quietly set up out of site not to far from the trailhead for the State Park on the Jonesville side. Guess we all have to make our own choices about how to interpret conflicting information.
    Primitive camping is allowed at least 100 feet from water, 200 feet from a trail, 200 feet from a property line, 1000 feet from a traveled road and outside the wildlife management area. It's a little tough to tell from the pdf map of the park, but it doesn't look like there is a legal place between the parking lot and the wildlife management area which quite meets those requirements. If there is, you'd need a darn good GPS to find it.

As a former GMC caretaker, I'm a bit anal about these regulations.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Amtrak is always late, I'd say you'd be lucky to get in by 9. Then if you stop for a meal and arrange for a ride, it's going to be nearly 11. Then there is a couple mile road walk unless you get the ride to drive you to the trail head parking lot and don't mind skipping that part of the "trail". Now you got about a 3,000 foot climb ahead of you with a fully loaded pack, in the dark with the usual roots and rocks to trip over. You'll get to the shelter somewhere between 2 and 4 AM and piss off anyone who is already sleeping there. Then later that day after a few hours of sleep, you have a really strenuous hike up and over the hump. Really, not a good idea.
    I suppose my suggestion was based on best case scenario, which apparently is not likely at all. Idk what kind of hiker you are, Hang, but if in decent shape the climb up Camel's hump should not take as long as many say. In this case, I would shoot for a taxi/shuttle straight from amtrak to trailhead and hike up to shelter. Perhaps eat on amtrak so that you can get to shelter and crash without keeping everyone up by cooking dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by mark schofield View Post
    there use to be a family in Jonesville who would shuttle, camp in their yard, ect. I think they were in the E2E guide about 5 years ago. I tossed my guide and a quick search was unsuccessful. Maybe some others recall.
    i think I know who you are referring to. I left my car there when I hiked the northern section the other year. I have reached out to them and I am waiting to hear a reply. If I remember the last time it took a little bit to hear back from them.

Primitive camping is allowed at least 100 feet from water, 200 feet from a trail, 200 feet from a property line, 1000 feet from a traveled road and outside the wildlife management area. It's a little tough to tell from the pdf map of the park, but it doesn't look like there is a legal place between the parking lot and the wildlife management area which quite meets those requirements. If there is, you'd need a darn good GPS to find it.

As a former GMC caretaker, I'm a bit anal about these regulations.
    I appreciate all of your I site on where to and where not to camp. That is the one frustrating part that I remember about the northern section but one easily followed.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblanche View Post
    I suppose my suggestion was based on best case scenario, which apparently is not likely at all. Idk what kind of hiker you are, Hang, but if in decent shape the climb up Camel's hump should not take as long as many say. In this case, I would shoot for a taxi/shuttle straight from amtrak to trailhead and hike up to shelter. Perhaps eat on amtrak so that you can get to shelter and crash without keeping everyone up by cooking dinner.
    If I can avoid hiking into a shelter in the middle of the night I do. I will have to think about what will work best. I am a decent hiker who averaged 13-17 MPD in the northern half with taking some good breaks during the day. My time hiking is faster than the time in the guide.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++