WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Long Trail Questions-Vermonter

Can anyone give me any feedback on experiences taking the Vermonter train into Waterbury VT and getting to the trail near Jonesville. The train does not get there until almost 8pm with no delays. It is a little late in the night for me to want to spend a night in town just to hit the trail early in the morning. I don't mind setting up in the dark but not sure about how successful that I would be at hitch hiking at that time of the night. I know there are a couple of people who shuttle in the area. Has anyone done this before and what worked best for you.

I am planning on getting up there around September 1st and headed south until around Killington where I will be getting a ride home.

I took the train to Montpelier, and got a shuttle from John up to Journey's End from there. It was $150 I think.
    Got into town late and slept on the steps of the town hall.

That said- if that's not the kinda super fun overly entitled sleepover you're looking for; I'd check with a local cab company if you don't want to not so stealthily camp in town.
    Hopefully others know more- but the few shuttles I know of were on either end of the trail.

At that time of night and a halfway reasonable shuttle driver's charges to do it ($50-75)- I'd think you'd have better experience cabbing it. I don't think you're looking at a long ride IIRC.
    It's been a few years but I don't think that train line was too good at keeping it's schedule either which is another point in the cabs favor.

Find you one of them fine baars and get a bear while you wait.

Doug McKain – Doug [email protected], 802-388-5407

Doug shuttled me several times along this stretch (near Jonesville) of the Long Trail. The last time was two summers ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    I took the train to Montpelier, and got a shuttle from John up to Journey's End from there. It was $150 I think.
    Got into town late and slept on the steps of the town hall.

That said- if that's not the kinda super fun overly entitled sleepover you're looking for; I'd check with a local cab company if you don't want to not so stealthily camp in town.
    Hopefully others know more- but the few shuttles I know of were on either end of the trail.

At that time of night and a halfway reasonable shuttle driver's charges to do it ($50-75)- I'd think you'd have better experience cabbing it. I don't think you're looking at a long ride IIRC.
    It's been a few years but I don't think that train line was too good at keeping it's schedule either which is another point in the cabs favor.

Find you one of them fine baars and get a bear while you wait.
    Thanks for the suggestion of a cab Just Bill. I did not think about that as an option in this area. I did stop by the Prohibition Pig two summers ago after hiking the northern section for a sandwich and some good local beers.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Doug McKain – Doug [email protected], 802-388-5407

Doug shuttled me several times along this stretch (near Jonesville) of the Long Trail. The last time was two summers ago.
    Thanks for the recommendation Rafe.

Images

Pro Pig was darn good, especially after coming down from Camel's Hump that afternoon.

We took the Vermonter to the start at North Adams (well, with a shuttle), and back home from the northern terminus (with some creative hitching and a commuter bus to St. Albans). But we have no experience with the train in the middle. Good luck. It'll work out fine.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I think your best bet would be to arrange in advance for someone to meet you at the train in Waterbury and drive you to where ever you plan to start hiking. If it where me, arriving at 8 pm I'd want to be taken to the nearest hotel and then driven to trail head early in the am.

where the trail crosses in jonesville is 10-15 miles from the waterbury train station.

no need to overthink things- just take a cab from the train station to jonesville.

DavidNH has good advice. A cheap motel in Waterbury and then hitch or taxi to the trailhead the next morning. Unless you really enjoy hiking in the dark. Probably an hour from the trail head to the first south bound shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    I think your best bet would be to arrange in advance for someone to meet you at the train in Waterbury and drive you to where ever you plan to start hiking. If it where me, arriving at 8 pm I'd want to be taken to the nearest hotel and then driven to trail head early in the am.
    I have thought about arranging a shuttle but was wondering how difficult it would be at that time of the night. Anyone have experience with a shuttle at that time of the night? Call me cheap but I hate to pay for a hotel only to sleep a few hours. I tend not to sleep late which means that I would probably only spend 6 hours in the room.

Quote Originally Posted by hikeandbike5 View Post
    where the trail crosses in jonesville is 10-15 miles from the waterbury train station.

no need to overthink things- just take a cab from the train station to jonesville.
    I am familiar how far away it is. I ended the northern section in the fall of 2014 in Jonesville. Wasn't trying to overthink anything but was just interested in experiences people have had with taking this train to access the trailhead from there. Are the cabs reliable in this area? I know that I live in a more populated area than there and cabs here can be inconsistent and a challenge to arrange.

Quote Originally Posted by mark schofield View Post
    DavidNH has good advice. A cheap motel in Waterbury and then hitch or taxi to the trailhead the next morning. Unless you really enjoy hiking in the dark. Probably an hour from the trail head to the first south bound shelter.
    I am not opposed to hiking in the dark. Probably prefer that to a hotel. Can you let me know how well the trail is marked to that shelter for night hiking. I know there were sections up north of there that was not blazed as well as other sections but was easily followed during the daylight but would have been challenging at night.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Pro Pig was darn good, especially after coming down from Camel's Hump that afternoon.

We took the Vermonter to the start at North Adams (well, with a shuttle), and back home from the northern terminus (with some creative hitching and a commuter bus to St. Albans). But we have no experience with the train in the middle. Good luck. It'll work out fine.
    The Prohibition Pig was real good. I am seriously thinking about getting a good sandwich and beer here to start the hike this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hang R View Post
    I am not opposed to hiking in the dark. Probably prefer that to a hotel. Can you let me know how well the trail is marked to that shelter for night hiking. I know there were sections up north of there that was not blazed as well as other sections but was easily followed during the daylight but would have been challenging at night.
    Heading south it's a long a difficult hike to the shelter. I would not attempt it in the dark. The trail is on private and state land where camping is prohibited except at designated sites. Arriving at that time of night, you really need to bite the bullet and get a room for the night. That's an expense which just has to be factored into the price of the trip. As you might know, hiking in Vermont is expensive.

Route 2 is a busy highway and if you want to hitch, you will have to at least walk to the edge of town. Impossible to say how hard a hitch it would be. I had no trouble getting from the trail crossing to Richmond for resupply, but it was a Sunday morning so no one was in a rush to get to work or the like.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Agree with Slo about the terrain. Your first ascent is up Camel's Hump heading south, and that's a tough one.

Images

OK, I thought you were heading north. My mistake. Climbing up from Jonesville southbound will be difficult in the dark. That stretch was a real ^%&*.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

there use to be a family in Jonesville who would shuttle, camp in their yard, ect. I think they were in the E2E guide about 5 years ago. I tossed my guide and a quick search was unsuccessful. Maybe some others recall.

Isn't the first shelter going south half way up Camel's hump? That trail is pretty well marked from what I remember (I've done it several times including in the dark). Just remember to turn left at the junction to the shelter...lol

If the train gets there around 8pm, I'd go to Pro Pig and grab a bite to eat and try to finagle a ride from an employee with taxi as backup.

Quote Originally Posted by eblanche View Post
    Isn't the first shelter going south half way up Camel's hump? That trail is pretty well marked from what I remember (I've done it several times including in the dark). Just remember to turn left at the junction to the shelter...lol

If the train gets there around 8pm, I'd go to Pro Pig and grab a bite to eat and try to finagle a ride from an employee with taxi as backup.
    Amtrak is always late, I'd say you'd be lucky to get in by 9. Then if you stop for a meal and arrange for a ride, it's going to be nearly 11. Then there is a couple mile road walk unless you get the ride to drive you to the trail head parking lot and don't mind skipping that part of the "trail". Now you got about a 3,000 foot climb ahead of you with a fully loaded pack, in the dark with the usual roots and rocks to trip over. You'll get to the shelter somewhere between 2 and 4 AM and piss off anyone who is already sleeping there. Then later that day after a few hours of sleep, you have a really strenuous hike up and over the hump. Really, not a good idea.

If I remember correctly, primitive camping is allowed in Camel's Hump Park, away from the trail, at the lower elevations. So, if you could get a ride to the trailhead, I don't see why you couldn't tent off trail close to the trailhead. Bamforth Ridge shelter is about 3 miles up the LT, but the trail is nicely graded and on the dry side of the ridge. But, I remember thinking, as I hiked through SOBO, that the area just past the state park trailhead would be a nice place to camp. There is even a lovely stream which the trail crosses. Seems doable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by hepatica View Post
    If I remember correctly, primitive camping is allowed in Camel's Hump Park, away from the trail, at the lower elevations. So, if you could get a ride to the trailhead, I don't see why you couldn't tent off trail close to the trailhead. Bamforth Ridge shelter is about 3 miles up the LT, but the trail is nicely graded and on the dry side of the ridge. But, I remember thinking, as I hiked through SOBO, that the area just past the state park trailhead would be a nice place to camp. There is even a lovely stream which the trail crosses. Seems doable to me.
    Nope, that entire area is on private and state land and camping is only allowed at designated sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Nope, that entire area is on private and state land and camping is only allowed at designated sites.
    Oh dear me, I broke the law. I ran out of daylight coming off Camels Hump northbound. In the morning I discovered that I had camped maybe 1/4 mile uphill from the shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Hmmm... The state park regulations say otherwise, unless you are privy to additional information that I don't have.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++