WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

If you want to run around claiming records, you should be able to answer for your walk.
    Nean, maybe it's you not getting the answers you want to hear. Practically every thru-hiker takes liberties off the "official" trail on the PCT such as the rim trail on Crater Lake and the Eagle Creek Trail. Many do the road walk to Panther Creek, and all of these and many other alternates are in the guidebook. If you ask the PCTA, they don't care which route you take and consider "along the general crest" qualification for 2600-miler.

As far as the CDT is concerned, you know as well as anyone how many different routes there are. For those that don't know, there's 3 starting or ending trailheads in NM and atleast 2 in MT, plus a 100 different alternates to link them. No one hike is better than another.

A Triple Crowner doesn't have to thru-hike each, they just have to do the "trails" or in many cases road walks via section hike, day hike, flip-flop or thru-hike.

Personally, I think both accomplishments are awesome, but it's these type of self-proclaimed "records" that drive me nuts. End-to-end-to end calender year Triple Crown vs. Calender year Triple Crown.

IMO, there's no big diff. only in this case, the latter happend 1st.

GAME 2000
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by billdnc
    First of all congratulation to Squeaky.. an incredible accomplishment. My son also finished the AT SOBO this year in 106 days - and everyone thought that that was fast!
    It was fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Nean
    Sorry if I offended Teej, just tryin to clear up the confusion and explain the difference. If you want to run around claiming records, you should be able to answer for your walk.
    Nean, was it Squeaky, or YOU, who decided that starting rumors and spreading gossip about Brian's hike would make Squeaky's hike sound "better"? I think it's really sad that the end of Squeaky's hike has been tarnished by the poor sportsmanship of one of his fans. "Sorry if I offended Teej,"? That apology should've been addressed to Brian, Nean.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

You make some good points Sly and agree with most. I don't care how BR did his walk; just don't say I'm running him down when I truefully point out the difference in the 2. I don't mind answers, its BS that I don't care for. As you know, I've blued, white, slacked, flipped, hopped, thrued and sectioned my share- its all good! and it doesn't matter but is it the same? No one mentioned "better" though one was Much more difficult. Its like that Bung and Sven thing.... if you say you end to end to end and claim to be the 1st, don't let me find out you skipped and came back (or, like BR on the JMT, have someone pace you and claim to be unsupported). BR pieced together a calender triple and claims the cdt record and refers to himself as "the first and only Human being...." Good for him.
    If you think what he accomplished is just the same as what Squeaky accomplished, well then, IMHO, I disagree.

GAME 2000
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood
    I was on Springer for NYE. Several sobo's finished up and I took a look at Squeaky's last entry in the log book on Springer... took a picture of it by the plaque and the last white blaze.
    I'm susprised no one has asked me what it said.

What would you use as your last entry for a hike like that? How lengthy would it be? Would you create a personal mantra?

... details of that later after these words from the rest of the group...

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

Thumbs up

hey, i don't know much, but i think the debate should be another thread so as not to spoil a very happy thread of a guy who did something most of us can only wonder about in amazement. just a thought. sorry for the interuption!
    squeaky did it!!! congrats!!

I'm sorry if the truth offended BR, Teej. That BR is one heck of a hiker!! Please let me know what rumors and gossip I started as I would like to apologize. Don't be starting rumors and gossip Teej, if you dispute something I say, then please correct me or disagree.
    BTW, I AM a BIG Squeaky fan!!! That MH is one hell of a man!!

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

Thumbs up

What would you use as your last entry for a hike like that? How lengthy would it be? Would you create a personal mantra?
    in memory of.................
    that's all, no mantra

Gene Espy could claim he was the 1st to thru-hike since Earl bushwacked in and out of a couple towns, but it wouldn't be right, or better, even if it were faster.

I thought his parting words were rather fitting Yb...and thanks again for helping me find the Hiker Hostel, Josh and Leigh are wonderful folks!

I'm susprised no one has asked me what it said.

... details of that later after these words from the rest of the group...
    I guess that it should be Squeaky to say what it said, afterall it is his journal and personal to him.

As far as to what I'd write...will have to wait until I do it. It should be spontaneous and from the heart, not rehearsed.

thanks for keeping it that way yb :-)
    Namaste

Congratulations and happy new year Squeaky! Well Done!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by neighbor dave
    in memory of.................
    that's all, no mantra
    Perhaps just, "in memory of flyin brian."

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by neighbor dave
    I think the debate should be another thread so as not to spoil a very happy thread
    Remove the input from one poster, and the responses it required, and it's still a happy thread. I teach the children on my basketball teams that they should always cheer, and never boo. It's a shame some grown-ups can't understand why.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Cripe Nean! It is just friggin' hiking.

Yeah..I think CDT speed records are kind of silly myself. . If you want to start a different thread on the the purity (?!?!?!!?!?) of a PCT/CDT/AT triple crown hike than go for it.

But the topic of this thread is Squeaky. We should all offer our heartfelt congrats on *THIS* thread. To debate other people's hikes on this thread is just not doing Squeaky justice.

Basically, Nean, it would be nice of you to move the comments somewhere else.

I said it on PCT-L, and I'll say it again: I'd love to buy Squeaky a pint or two and talk to him for an hour or so. Seems like the cool, laidback guy who does some awesome things!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Let it go.

Congratulations Squeaky! I really enjoyed your message about challenging one's self.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

My buddy Jeff and I met Squeaky at Neel Gap. We were day one into a three day hike from Woody Gap to Unicoi Gap and decided to stay at the hostel in Neel Gap. Our original plans were to stay on top of Blood Mountain that first night for the view, but since the weather conditions (cold & freezing rain) prohibitted a view, we continued on into Neel Gap (darn, had to settle for a hot shower after hiking all day in the freezing rain). I am so glad we did -- Squeaky came in around 7:30 tired, cold and soaking wet. He was so nice to spend some time with us and answer a bunch of (i'm guessing from his perspective) dumb questions. After chatting for a while, he left to use the dryer to dry his clothes. He departed around 4:30 the next morning for his final 31 miles.

Congratulations Squeaky -- what a classy guy!

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej
    Remove the input from one poster, and the responses it required, and it's still a happy thread. I teach the children on my basketball teams that they should always cheer, and never boo. It's a shame some grown-ups can't understand why.
    To bad this wasn't your team. It just goes to show that not all kids (adults) play together. You seem to be a great mentor to your teams, we need more like you.

I was always taught to respect others; even though I'm 49 I still hold the door for anyone regardless of age and say yes instead of yeah.

Cheers to Squeaky
    Namaste

Default one more good stir

Sorry to get yall so riled Wonderful example of what you're talkin bout on that ATI thread Teej I was just trying to give some insight on why Squeaky, IMO, does not consider what did as the same as BR. Someone (?)had asked about the confusion, on this thread. To my knowledge I accurately, honestly discribed both hikes, thus pointing out the difference. You are Right Mags!! It sure is just hiking, this is just a website, we are just people and we just have opinions. I like the past hiker analogy Sly, only I look at it this way. BR is more like my hero, Myron Avery- 1st to piece the trail(s) together, where Squeaky is like the Crazy One, first to do it all in one go. Btw, BR has credited myself and Scott Williamson for inspiring his Triple. Squeaky was inspired to do something that had never been done and was thought to be impossible, but as he put it so well, #%& the impossible. It wasn't his journal Gumby.

Talked to Squeaky yesterday. He was feeling good and thinking about testing himself on the AT this year. He's confident that he can break 40 days. Told him I knew enough blue blazes, roadwalks and "cut-offs" that he'd be sending out framed autograghed photos declaring himself as: the First and Only HUMAN BEING (other than Ed & Dans friends) to hike the ENTIR trail in a calender month. Whatcha think?
    Last edited by Nean; 01-06-2006 at 02:05.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++