WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Zippos on the trail

I see many people bring to mini bics with them. Why not the zippo? its waterproof, you can use denatured alcohol with it (same as the UL stove kit), you can light it and set it down to use as a flame source, and a couple flints weigh nothing.

just curious, the weight vs the benefit seem inconsequential.

Probably no good reason other than that the brand "BIC" was more topical than "Zippo" when the US started swearing off cigarettes.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Garlic
    Images

It may be yet another sad chapter in our disposable culture, too. Throw it away rather than refuel and maintain it.

Initial cost is an issue for some, especially if you don't use it very often, like once a day during a hike. Disposable Bics cost about a buck each in a package. In fact, I don't remember ever actually buying one. I salvage them off the pavement in parking lots--it's amazing what you see when you walk a lot.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Garlic
    Images

A butane cartridge might be a better choice in a survival kit (as long as make sure the valve doesn't get depressed). Will a Zippo light if it's been ignored in a pack for months, or even years?
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

A mini bic weighs nothing and can last an entire Thru hike (Joe Brewer just finished his Triple Crown using the same Bic). There's no need to mess with replacing flints or finding fuel if you're not an alcohol fuel user. Personally, the Zippos I have are more momentos than for function so I wouldn't take one. That would mean I would have to buy a new Zippo, which would be pointless if I can buy a mini Bic and use it for the whole hike.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Will a Zippo light if it's been ignored in a pack for months, or even years?
    It will spark but you would need to refill it with fuel.

I only use the Bic in my hiker kit for lighting my stove 1 time a day. I had one last me the whole AT and probably 5 years after that. My Zippo I have at home hardly ever gets used. When I do try to use it most of the time the fuel has evaporated. Between me and my hiking partner we have 3 Bics between us on the trail. It's one of the most reliable pieces of gear in my pack

A fully fueled Zippo weighs about 2.8 oz. A Bic mini weighs 0.4 oz. Next question?

A butane canister stove can be lit with spark alone, so a Bic might still be useful even with no fuel. And the spark might also be able to light the dry cotton portion of a PJCB (petroleum jelly cotton ball), although I haven't actually tried that one because I've always used a firesteel for that job. So there's another little project.

Images

I had a big brass Zippo when I was in the Army. Carried it everywhere, and when I got out and started backpacking I kept carrying it. Then I realized it was heavy, needed regular maintenance, etc., and replaced it with a mini Bic. (I also quit smoking, so I didn't need a lighter in my pocket all the time.) I've had the same mini Mic in my ditty bag for probably ten years and it still has fuel and still lights.

If I could fine one of the piezo mini Bics I would buy one, since they can still light when wet (unlike the standard flint version).
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by snicklefitz View Post
    I see many people bring to mini bics with them. Why not the zippo? its waterproof, you can use denatured alcohol with it (same as the UL stove kit), you can light it and set it down to use as a flame source, and a couple flints weigh nothing.

just curious, the weight vs the benefit seem inconsequential.
    just take it if you want to. 50 experts on zippos will tell you not to because of weight. baltimore jack did 7 thru hikes with a zippo. he always carried a 50 lb pack

Journal Entries
    Images

Zippos are from Bradford, PA. Great product, I have a WWII era model that works fine. Great museum, also.

I do use a Bic when backpacking, tho.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

If you forget your Bic lighter, you can buy one in any convenience store (or find them on the ground). My two are so old, I can't remember where I bought or found them.

I associate zippos with smoking. Mine has been put away for over 20 years. I'd want to smoke if I carried one.

I remember the rash I got from the fuel when I carried the zippo in my pants pocket. I would also use it as a hand warmer while out hunting. Anyone remember jon-e hand warmers? I still have all this crap.
    I always preferred matches, they where cheep and free for the asking most of the time.

Not a rash. A chemical burn.

Just confirmed...we still have the same bic lighter in our kit that we carried on the AT in 2001...still going

I bought a mini Bic three pack in 2013 for the JMT. Still using the first of three now.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLEGHENY View Post
    I remember the rash I got from the fuel when I carried the zippo in my pants pocket. I would also use it as a hand warmer while out hunting. Anyone remember jon-e hand warmers? I still have all this crap.
    I always preferred matches, they where cheep and free for the asking most of the time.
    I have a dedicated zippo hand warmer, it's quite nice really, but uses a lot of fuel and leave you smelling like fuel. I can't see any reason to take a Zippo lighter out on the trail, other than nostalgia. The Bics have longer flints, are less finicky and overall more reliable. The zippo is pretty much an iconic stylish heavy fuel evaporator.

Much easier to strike with the index finger (handy when lighting a canister stove) if those little child resistant springy-thingys are removed. For the mini Bics, simply snip them at the base with some wire cutters. The regular Bics are even easier; just grab the springy at the base with some needlenose pliers and yank it out.

Apologies if everybody in the known Universe is already aware of this.

bic lighter child resistant strip.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Much easier to strike with the index finger (handy when lighting a canister stove) if those little child resistant springy-thingys are removed. For the mini Bics, simply snip them at the base with some wire cutters. The regular Bics are even easier; just grab the springy at the base with some needlenose pliers and yank it out.

Apologies if everybody in the known Universe is already aware of this.

bic lighter child resistant strip.jpg
    Thanks for reminding me of that trick. Going to do this to all the lighters in my kit tonight

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++