WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Winter storm

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by iAmKrzys View Post
    I wasn't quite so ambitious but I grabbed my snowshoes and did a 4-mile loop in our local county parks. It was so much fun!!!
    I took my dogs for a 15 minute walk in the woods next to my house and one of them managed to knock two of her teeth out. 3 hours at the emergency vet and $320 later she is okay, but I still have no idea what she did.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

We have a small hike planned for next weekend, testing new gear and UQ's but its planned to start at Port Clinton and head NE 4 miles Friday and then 4 miles Saturday and out couple miles Sunday. Now we are needing to consider extreme winter conditions and make necessary arrangements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Funny, my first thought was "Man, if I had a hillenberg and a free week I'd grab my snowshoes and 7 days of food and head for the hills!"*

*Don't do what "Donnie Don't" does...
    Perfect time to pitch a tent inside a shelter, hunker down with a weeks food and fuel , a - 15 F bag, and a couple good books.

A week in an AT shelter? You'd find me bonkers from cabin fever in 2 days.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    back in april of 87 a guy was stuck in spence field shelter in the smokys. they helicoptered food to him. that storm was much worse than this one

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    I'm stuck in my house for day #3 and I'm already pretty bonkers.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

No trace of any new snow from the storm in the whites. I did a hike today and the snow depth even up high is less than a foot. I brought the snowshoes on the pack mostly for training but so far its been lo snow winter in the whites.

Traditionally the coldest weather in the region is usually around the full moon of January and to date, we haven't gotten anywhere near close to really cold weather, which is normally a few stretches of -25 to -30 deg F. In general its been mild winter so far.

I took my dogs for a 15 minute walk in the woods next to my house and one of them managed to knock two of her teeth out. 3 hours at the emergency vet and $320 later she is okay, but I still have no idea what she did.
    yikes, glad sbe's ok Elf.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Traditionally the coldest weather in the region is usually around the full moon of January and to date, we haven't gotten anywhere near close to really cold weather, which is normally a few stretches of -25 to -30 deg F. In general its been mild winter so far.
    It did get to -5 this morning, but it warmed up to 30 at noon. With clear skies last night, the woods were really lit up with the full moon. I was tempted to for a little hike about midnight, but it was 0 and not enough snow for snowshoes, so went to bed instead.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Thats a deal.

I paid $300 at emergency vet a few yrs back when dog at bag of chocolate covered raisins. All they did was make her drink a syringe of hydrogen peroxide and throw up. I tucked that trick away, dont plan to make that trip again. I would have taken the chance with dog, but kids were crying, darn internet tells them too much.

Images

Years ago our first dog woke me up in the middle of the night while visiting our in-laws. He was in bad shape, throwing up blood. Took him to the 24 hour emergency vet, which happened to be in their town. They charged us $300 just to look at him, pay up front. This was back when we didn't have two nickels to rub together - paid it with a maxed out credit card. He died a couple of hours later, acute hemorrhagic pancreatitis. He'd gotten into something in the trash, never found out what. I remember sitting on the curb outside the clinic crying. He was a damn fine dog.

I guess we're getting off track on this thread, sorry. The last couple posts brought back that memory.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++