WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: my DIY tarp

Default my DIY tarp

This is my 4 season all weather tarp that I made. Purchased the kit from Ripstop by the Roll. I made it for using with my hammock(the sideways photo) is set up in my yard. The photo with it set up on the ground is at Lance Creek on the AT last October. It is larger than it appears. The ground set up, me and a buddy slept on the ground under it with our packs and everything with us. I don't have exact dimensions but I used the measurements that were along with the kit. It was time consuming considering at the start of the project I was less than proficient with a thread injector. Also made snake skins and a stuff sack, the total weight of tarp, guy lines, snake skins, and stuff sack comes in right at 12 ozs.

IMG_5706.JPGIMG_5705.JPG

Images

Thanks for sharing. I enjoy seeing gear people make themselves.
    "Är huvudet dumt får kroppen lida."

Translated - "If the head is dumb the body suffers."

Hi tacomakid01,
    I'm planning to make the same tarp. What fabric did you use? I trying to figure out how much mine will weigh using 1.9oz fabric. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by damskipi View Post
    Hi tacomakid01,
    I'm planning to make the same tarp. What fabric did you use? I trying to figure out how much mine will weigh using 1.9oz fabric. Thanks!
    damskipi, I used 1.1 oz silnylon. I weighed it again and got 22oz. I can't remember if I changed anything with my set up after I got the 12 oz weight, it's late and I'm tired. But I will weigh it again tomorrow just to make sure my scales were not off or I didn't write it down wrong.

++ New Posts ++