WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by -Rush- View Post
    I'm heading out in late October and have planned 8 days from Fontana to Standing Bear with a zero in Gatlinburg. It can certainly be done faster, but the point of this hike is smiles.. not miles.
    A day in gatlinburg would not leave me smiling. Its not a trail town, its a spectacle of all that is wrong with americans , imo. It depresses me. If I had been on trail 2 weeks, maybe id look forward to it, 2 days? No.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-23-2016 at 03:47.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    A day in gatlinburg would not leave me smiling. Its not a trail town, its a spectacle of all that is wrong with americans , imo. It depresses me. If I had been on trail 2 weeks, maybe id look forward to it, 2 days? No.
    +1!!! When my kids were little we occasionally stayed in G-burg and they had fun, but I kind of hated it. I just don't see the attraction when you can rent a cabin 20 miles West in Townsend and spend days tubing the river in a quiet spot without all the hoopla.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I know what you mean, but I'm headed there to meet some friends, grab a steak, and enjoy some fine spirits.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FL Grandma View Post
    We just did it in 6 days (four women ages 55-70). We thought we would have enjoyed it more with one more day, but it was definitely doable in that time.
    You guys inspired me to do the Smokies this year.

one day. run it. water break at Newfound gap. go sul. take the 4 state challenge a bit further.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++