WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: SteriPen

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Freezing Temperatures

One of the great benefits of the SteriPen is that it doesn't break if the device experiences freezing temperatures.
    That's a good point. Though it doesn't actually work when it's cold either.

Unfortunately, you have no way of knowing if the Sawyer has been compromised. There is no way to test the device in the field.
    That isn't actually the case. If air passes through the filter, it's no good.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
    That isn't actually the case. If air passes through the filter, it's no good.
    What gives you that idea?

For starters, I find that I routinely get air passing thru my filters even when I KNOW they have not been compromised. I filter using a closed system... dirty water bag screwed onto a Sawyer mini, with a hose over the output nipple screwed onto a clean water bag (I turn the mini into a gravity system). Apparently the holes in filter are so fine that it causes some of the dissolved air in the dirty water to separate out as I frequently get a pocket of air in my clean water bag.

Second of all, Sawyer's own website is the source of the claim that you can't know if the Sawyer has been compromised:
    From Sawyer's FAQ page:
    While there is no definitive way to tell if a filter has been damaged due to freezing, Sawyer recommends replacing your filter if you suspect that it has been frozen.

What gives you that idea?
    The gravity works manual gives me that idea:
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.cascadedesigns.com/platypus/faq
    What about freezing?

Once you have used your GravityWorks™ filter and wet the Hollow Fiber filter media, the fibers will still be wet. Therefore, it is important to prevent it from freezing, which can permanently damage the filter media. If you are traveling in areas where you are expecting freezing or near freezing temperatures, bring the filter into your tent, or even your sleeping bag. (Be sure to put the filter in a water tight bag to prevent leaks in your sleeping bag.) If you think your filter may have been damaged by freezing, perform a Filter Test before the next use.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++