WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Any one hiked in Northern Idaho?

I'll be making a trip to the panhandle in northern Idaho in the spring early summer to visit family. Would love to get an overnight hike or two in. Any one have any experience up there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't done any hiking in Idaho, but have camped quite a lot in the panhandle. I love the area around Sandpoint, and there seemed to be a lot of signs for trails off the main hwy.

Several years ago, my company built a submarine base in Idaho -- http://www.ss563.org/idahoss.html

I didn't have a lot of time to hike while I was there, but can affirm that the area is beautiful. You will have a lot of choices for places to hike. Here is a site that lists some of the possibilities.
    Shutterbug

I hike in Northern Idaho often. What's your time frame? It will be snowy at high elevations, but there will be a doable, nice trip to be had. Where depends on conditions. Let me know moee about what you are interested and I'll be glad to help.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I did a 4 day hike in the saw tooth area back in 1982. I forget the name of the place, a collage buddy was from Idaho and we did it in late May. there was some snow up high. I did not own a camera then so I have no pics.
    There are wonders out there, now to find them.

Garlic
    Images

I hiked the Pacific Northwest Trail a few years ago, and just spent a few days on the Idaho portion just south of Canada. The route was largely a combination of very difficult bushwhacking and road walking and I wouldn't do it again or recommend it. But if you can find a trail in the Selkirks, they were certainly impressive.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I hike in Northern Idaho often. What's your time frame? It will be snowy at high elevations, but there will be a doable, nice trip to be had. Where depends on conditions. Let me know moee about what you are interested and I'll be glad to help.
    Nothing is set in stone right now. But I am thinking around Memorial Day. So the end of May, beginning of June. Not sure if I will have a car, so the closer to Sandpoint the better as my family will have to shuttle me there and pick me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    Several years ago, my company built a submarine base in Idaho -- http://www.ss563.org/idahoss.html

I didn't have a lot of time to hike while I was there, but can affirm that the area is beautiful. You will have a lot of choices for places to hike. Here is a site that lists some of the possibilities.
    http://www.sandpointonline.com/rec/lakeguide/walks.html
    This link didn't make my last post --
    Shutterbug

Expect snow in the mountains, likely a lot of snow. There are a number of places around Sandpoint you might like. 101 Hikes in the Inland Northwest has plenty of ideas. Access at that time of year is iffy due to road conditions. The Sandpoint Ranger District of the Forest Service can advise as the time nears. If you have a car to use, a low elevation hike to Upper Priest Lake is easy and pretty, but may be muddy. Avoid anything with unbridged stream crossings, due too runoff. Let me know if i can be of help.

FB

Expect snow in the mountains, likely a lot of snow. There are a number of places around Sandpoint you might like. 101 Hikes in the Inland Northwest has plenty of ideas. Access at that time of year is iffy due to road conditions. The Sandpoint Ranger District of the Forest Service can advise as the time nears. If you have a car to use, a low elevation hike to Upper Priest Lake is easy and pretty, but may be muddy. Avoid anything with unbridged stream crossings, due too runoff. Let me know if i can be of help.

FB
    Thanks, I will look into getting that book. I did go to the Idaho National Panhandle Forest website and found quite a bit of info on trails and hiking in the area. I learned that I will have to have a bear canister.

Quote Originally Posted by kimbur96 View Post
    I learned that I will have to have a bear canister.
    You will surely be the only one. At Upper Priest Lake and perhaps other spots there are fixed food storage units to use. Most of the areas you might go lack problem bears, and most people do not even hang. I believe you can get bear spray, if you want it, at Outdoor Connection in Sandpoint.

You will surely be the only one. At Upper Priest Lake and perhaps other spots there are fixed food storage units to use. Most of the areas you might go lack problem bears, and most people do not even hang. I believe you can get bear spray, if you want it, at Outdoor Connection in Sandpoint.
    Ok, that's kind of funny, but i believe you. Priest Lake is one of the areas I was considering so maybe I will look more into that. And thank you for the info on where to get spray up there. I will probably buy some, although my dad is in favor of more lethal means.

you have been a great help already, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by kimbur96 View Post
    Ok, that's kind of funny, but i believe you. Priest Lake is one of the areas I was considering so maybe I will look more into that. And thank you for the info on where to get spray up there. I will probably buy some, although my dad is in favor of more lethal means.

you have been a great help already, thank you
    Experts seem to agree that more lethal means are less effective than pepper spray. Keep in mind there is now history of bears attacking people in the area, although I have shooed away a few black bears.

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post

I would have never believed a sub base in Idaho. Thanks for that link very interesting.

FB
    i bought the book and have been doing some research. Pretty interested in doing the Upper Priest Lake Navigation trail (trail 291 I believe it is referred to as plowboy trail also) says it's about 11 miles round trip and not much elevation gain, but should be pretty as much of it follows the lake shore. Have you ever done this trail?

I've hiked the part to the first campsite. It's very easy. Further along I have kayaked, several times. You will be impressed. I expect. There are bear boxes at the established campsites. Don't be surprised to see snow along the way. We're about average for the year at this point. The lake may be frozen. I'd definitely stay off at that time. I'm assuming the road (it's paved) will be plowed. Best to check. You may have it all to yourself if frozen. It's a great place to sit around taking in nature. Watch for moose. Apologies for choppy sentence structure.

I see the OP is from Florida, and once to go hike near the Canadian border in May?
    I hiked in northern Idaho in August and had many snow patches.
    I would think skis or snowshoes would be better than hiking.
    I would definitely recommend taking an ice ax and know how to self arrest (as well as just use it as a safety handle while traversing steep slopes)
    Not sure how you would practice that anywhere in Florida.
    I learned on the ski slopes of VT in the winter.
    But good luck anyway.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    I see the OP is from Florida, and once to go hike near the Canadian border in May?
    I hiked in northern Idaho in August and had many snow patches.
    I would think skis or snowshoes would be better than hiking.
    I would definitely recommend taking an ice ax and know how to self arrest (as well as just use it as a safety handle while traversing steep slopes)
    Not sure how you would practice that anywhere in Florida.
    I learned on the ski slopes of VT in the winter.
    But good luck anyway.
    The trail we are discussing is flat and at low elevation. Yes, there are places in the area needing technical skills, but not all.

North Idaho (never northern Idaho) is incredibly ugly and you shouldn't hike there. You definitely shouldn't explore the Selkirks. There is absolutely nothing scenic of note and you should just limit yourself to shopping in Sandpoint. I am most certainly not saying this to keep people away from something amazing.

Had an amazing trip to Idaho. Here's a couple of pictures:

IMG_5258.jpgIMG_5239.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++