Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Another great book is "In Beauty May She Walk," by Leslie Mass. She hiked the trail at the age of 59.

http://www.amazon.com/Beauty-May-She...y+may+she+walk

Quote Originally Posted by ~Dynamite~ View Post
    I'm 60 now and plan to thruhike in 2017. I have no backpacking experience but have done a lot of camping. Also, I think of myself as very tough. I have a farm and have done really grueling work in all kinds of weather. I am not delicate. Also, I dream big and once I set a goal, I make it happen. Physically, I am not in as good a shape as I was when I was younger. I have had both knees replaced and have had some back issues (which are resolved) but mentally, I am tough as nails. I plan to take it slow and not injure myself by doing more than I am capable of. I have been planning for years and can't wait to step on a plane bound for Atlanta!...~Dynamite~
    I have been hiking for almost 40 years, but will be 61 (if not somewhat older) when I do my first thru-hike. I want child to be finished with college first (in case she needs me), and need to get in more shape for a thru-hike, and to save money, and raise money for NGOs that promote the welfare of a certain animal. As time gets closer to the hike, I'll also need to work things out with physician and pharmacies along the way for diabetes and other meds. Right now, back home, I can only get a three-month subscription, and I guarantee you it will take me more than three months to do the thru-hike. (I don't want to leave the trail, fly home for an appointment, fly back in the middle of the hike).

thats awesome! I have been backpacking for awhile now but I like you am having a NEW CHAPTER ... and honestly my kids, friends and backpacking it what is keeping me strong. grandma gatewood is who a movie SHOULD be made after she Finished the Trail a few times (not to dog the others who have movies made after them but it is funny that neither of the people who have movies made after them finished there trail) if you haven't read the book please do you will enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by brendathompson71 View Post
    thats awesome! I have been backpacking for awhile now but I like you am having a NEW CHAPTER ... and honestly my kids, friends and backpacking it what is keeping me strong. grandma gatewood is who a movie SHOULD be made after she Finished the Trail a few times (not to dog the others who have movies made after them but it is funny that neither of the people who have movies made after them finished there trail) if you haven't read the book please do you will enjoy it!
    I think that would be a great movies, but in defense of Cheryl Strayed, she did complete the section she set out to do...she never intended to hike the entire thing from end to end.

That is true, and point taken ...

Quote Originally Posted by brendathompson71 View Post
    Well, we DID do a documentary about Grandma Gatewood! Check out the schedule of where you can see one of our programs about her at http://www.edenvalleyenterprises.org...odcalendar.htm -- Hope you can catch it!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Y'all need to google Grandma Gatewood.
    First off, your post comes of as pretty dismissive and demeaning. Do you hike with the same gear Earl Shaffer & Myron Avery and all the other old timers from the 70s hiked with?

Secondly, (and most importantly) why do you feel compelled to comment on a question on the Female Hiking Forum? That, and your tone, is not helpful at all.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Hey Kimbur,

Welcome to backpacking. I see we both have a love for running and being in nature. I just starting backpacking the end of 2014 after coming back from a family reunion in Vermont where my Aunt introduced me to hiking. I was immediately hooked. I see that we both live in Florida maybe you would like to do some hiking on the Florida trail together.

Trail Dames are a great group with several chapters. You also might check out meetup.com to see if there are other outdoors groups in your area. My first couple backpacking trips were with a local adventuring group, so I had the security of having some folks there while I tried out all my gear.

It turns out I'd managed to self-teach most of the skills I needed, so I didn't learn that much from the group, but it was good training wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Little View Post
    Hey Kimbur,

Welcome to backpacking. I see we both have a love for running and being in nature. I just starting backpacking the end of 2014 after coming back from a family reunion in Vermont where my Aunt introduced me to hiking. I was immediately hooked. I see that we both live in Florida maybe you would like to do some hiking on the Florida trail together.
    Hi Little, That would be great. I just spent the weekend up at Dupuis Preserve. Did about 10 miles (out and back) on the Florida Scenic Trail as it goes right through the Dupuis area in Indiantown.

Journal Entries

I'm doing my first AT hike the last weekend in April. I've done a lot of camping over night and a lot of hike but never the two together. I am 49 and am doing this right before my 50th birthday. I am looking forward to this. Learn as much as you can before heading out especially how you will sleep. I need some comfort and have paired down my pack accordingly so I can sleep comfortable.

Hi- I hiked the trail last year, started at age 51 and celebrated my 52 birthday on the trail. People keep referring to me as an "older" hiker, which always surprises me. I'm old? Wow. When did that happen! There are many benefits to being young and strong- you hike fast, you have lots more people your age to hang out with, etc. But the advantage of being an "older" hiker is that we can afford more luxury in town more often, if we decide we need that. No apology or shame for wanting a real bed every 10 days or so.Also, "older" hikers tend to wash our backpacks more often. That really helps keep the stank down. "Older" hikers have a much longer playlist of memories in our heads and never have to go into reverie reruns. When hiking, you will remember almost everything you ever forgot. I never felt old on the trail. I always felt young and free!

Images

I just found out this was a ladies forum when I clicked the thread, but since I clicked in, I'll put in my 2 cents since this sounds like my wife, and she won't post on here....
    She (my wife) and I are both on 2nd marriages, and she started into this stuff right about at your age (48) ten years ago, and totally fell in love with it, and has never looked back.
    At 58, she simply cannot get enough of it. She grew up in CO, but basically raised her two daughters by herself and didn't have spare time so previously never got into this kind of stuff. When her kids were through college and independent, that's when she "discovered" hiking and backpacking (and climbing, and kayaking and canyoneering, etc, etc). We basically met "on the trail" (a climb actually, but same thing) and now this stuff is our primary activity, and will be until we physically can't.
    BTW: we swapped a couple PM's a while ago because you are looking at moving to the CO springs area... If you do move out here, anywhere in the state, check out the Colorado Mountain Club. they are very active all along the front range, including CO Springs. Go to "cmc.org" and poke around.
    Tons of outdoor courses from basic trekking and backpacking to high altitude mountaineering and ice climbing, you name it, even fly fishing and outdoor photography. Every day will have multiple outings somewhere, year 'round, weekends in prime season will have a couple dozen outings. But the main benefit of being active in the CMC is all the like-minded folks you'd meet. The total state-wide club membership is pushing 10,000. And finally, FWIW, my wife and I met in the CMC (on a Kilimanjaro climb; the club also leads dozens of international trips a year). Some call the CMC the Colorado Mating Club....

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I just found out this was a ladies forum when I clicked the thread, but since I clicked in, I'll put in my 2 cents since this sounds like my wife, and she won't post on here....
    She (my wife) and I are both on 2nd marriages, and she started into this stuff right about at your age (48) ten years ago, and totally fell in love with it, and has never looked back.
    At 58, she simply cannot get enough of it. She grew up in CO, but basically raised her two daughters by herself and didn't have spare time so previously never got into this kind of stuff. When her kids were through college and independent, that's when she "discovered" hiking and backpacking (and climbing, and kayaking and canyoneering, etc, etc). We basically met "on the trail" (a climb actually, but same thing) and now this stuff is our primary activity, and will be until we physically can't.
    BTW: we swapped a couple PM's a while ago because you are looking at moving to the CO springs area... If you do move out here, anywhere in the state, check out the Colorado Mountain Club. they are very active all along the front range, including CO Springs. Go to "cmc.org" and poke around.
    Tons of outdoor courses from basic trekking and backpacking to high altitude mountaineering and ice climbing, you name it, even fly fishing and outdoor photography. Every day will have multiple outings somewhere, year 'round, weekends in prime season will have a couple dozen outings. But the main benefit of being active in the CMC is all the like-minded folks you'd meet. The total state-wide club membership is pushing 10,000. And finally, FWIW, my wife and I met in the CMC (on a Kilimanjaro climb; the club also leads dozens of international trips a year). Some call the CMC the Colorado Mating Club....
    Thank you for the insight and tips. I'm still looking to relocate only now there is a possibility of doing it this summer instead of next. Very exciting. I will definitely look up the CMC sounds like a great way to meet people sine I won't know anyone there. Thanks Bob!

Journal Entries

I am 43 and my husband is retired Army. He has had roadmarch experience, which he deems even harder than backpacking, with all the new gear options and stuff. I had never so much as slept in a tent in my life until about 2 years ago, but once I was out in the woods, I was addicted. Now I spend every weekend I can on a trail somewhere "in training". My husband and I will be section hiking, as we cannot take enough time off to do a full thru. We plan to start the GA section SOBO at the end of May. The more I study, the more I am sure we will not make it to Amicalola in the 9 days we are giving ourselves, but no matter. We will go slow and do what we can do each day and get as far as we can get, but most importantly, we will be out there doing it and having a blast! Can't wait.

I have found that the age range of AT hikers seems to be the high school/college/first time real job age of early to mid 20s and then retirement age. Not too terribly many people out there that are in the life building/family starting/mortgage and career responsibilities age range at all. So it seems if you missed the early shift (like I did), then you are just in time for the late shift.

Do your homework, be careful and have fun. Nothing will make you feel like the rock star you are more than when you make your fears shut up and sit down.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Quote Originally Posted by Lnj View Post

I have found that the age range of AT hikers seems to be the high school/college/first time real job age of early to mid 20s and then retirement age. Not too terribly many people out there that are in the life building/family starting/mortgage and career responsibilities age range at all. So it seems if you missed the early shift (like I did), then you are just in time for the late shift.
    I think the same goes for the PCT. I'm going to be part of the rare middle group at 39 when I start. I never was much into the home ownership/family/career goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Cfullerton View Post
    I got the bug last year at 59. Ive done almost 75 mi and loved every minute. I hike slow but Im determined. I haven't been out solo bc Im terrified of going it alone, a fear that I need to overcome.

You just have to get out there and go for it!
    Yeah I think that attitude and determination are most important and not age. My sister and I are 60+ and have decided to hike the GA section of the AT in May. We've been hiking daily to get ready and hiking with a local group. I do need to do an overnighter though so let me know if you hike up this way in FL. We're also looking for other women hikers going N on the AT in GA in May.

Quote Originally Posted by BonBon View Post
    Hi- I hiked the trail last year, started at age 51 and celebrated my 52 birthday on the trail. People keep referring to me as an "older" hiker, which always surprises me. I'm old? Wow. When did that happen! There are many benefits to being young and strong- you hike fast, you have lots more people your age to hang out with, etc. But the advantage of being an "older" hiker is that we can afford more luxury in town more often, if we decide we need that. No apology or shame for wanting a real bed every 10 days or so.Also, "older" hikers tend to wash our backpacks more often. That really helps keep the stank down. "Older" hikers have a much longer playlist of memories in our heads and never have to go into reverie reruns. When hiking, you will remember almost everything you ever forgot. I never felt old on the trail. I always felt young and free!
    As a 50-something woman, I don't know you, but I love you.

Oh Jump....roflmao.....haven't you heard? They always comment on here! And you will be labeled a man hating you know what for even questioning why a man would consider commenting on a female forum...Trust me....been there, done that....

Sign me...the last female to do what you just did and was labeled a man hating -----

I think you and I are going to be great friends.....love your quote....remember it from Wild.

You go girl.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post
    First off, your post comes of as pretty dismissive and demeaning. Do you hike with the same gear Earl Shaffer & Myron Avery and all the other old timers from the 70s hiked with?

Secondly, (and most importantly) why do you feel compelled to comment on a question on the Female Hiking Forum? That, and your tone, is not helpful at all.
    Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself.

I agree! Love her spirit....and no fifty is not old....

Sign me....turning 49 this June when on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Miel View Post
    As a 50-something woman, I don't know you, but I love you.
    Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++