WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

I recently discovered the journal being kept by Portage. He frequently updates and gives good descriptions of his day. I think it helps that he is a fairly upbeat guy. His journal can be found over at Trail Journals: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=522599

Images

+1 for Rabbit. He is thoughtful and has a really good perspective about his hike.

I just found a really good blog yesterday, especially if you like photos. His name is Wanderer and I highly recommend you check it out. Here is the link: https://talesofwandering.wordpress.c...ntain-shelter/
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

+1 for Portage. His profile picture kind of turned me off, but he writes well.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    I recently discovered the journal being kept by Portage. He frequently updates and gives good descriptions of his day. I think it helps that he is a fairly upbeat guy. His journal can be found over at Trail Journals: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=522599
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    +1 for Portage. His profile picture kind of turned me off, but he writes well.
    I have skipped over his journal many times. Guess it's time to check it out!
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

Lots of people on the trail. Its just that most of them haven't set the ON THE TRAIL button so they don't show up on the trail.
    Have only been hitting one or two now and then.

Registered User displacedbeatnik's Avatar

I just discovered this one, Heading North. She's got a really goofy sense of humor about everything which I appreciate in a blog. https://hdat16.wordpress.com/
    AT Leapfrogging in 2016i (Central Virginia next) http://walkinghometodc.wordpress.com

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

I've been enjoying Portage and AK. The latter started in January, got off the trail, and started over at Springer in February.

I hope some of y'all will enjoy my journal \blog this year. Last year I did all of my blogging on Facebook, but this year I have my wordpress site set up. I also made a YouTube channel for my videos. Frenchie (we met last year on the trail, and are going to be hiking together again this year) will be flying in from Quebec on May 1st, and we will both be starting on the 2nd at Harper's Ferry.

Good luck to everyone that is hiking this year
    Alex "platypus"
    Platypus2016blog.wordpress.com

PS: I have a few really exciting companies who have been awesome, I'll be using Hill People Gear's pack, and Big Agnes for almost everything else. Whenever I feel like I can give a honest and interesting review...I will.

You can check out my journal at trailjournals.com/flash52

I'm trying to include more stories and tips rather than just reporting mileage, etc.

I also have a youtube channel with daily videos

Just search youtube for

secrets of a successful hike

Hope this helps and good luck !

I met Subman and Suds this week in the VA/TN border. They were fun and in great spirits ...and they are pretty good at updating their journal

...or they were. Going back home.

Portage #1, plus Coach, North Star, Tic and Berkeley (a German Shepherd), Rooster (little writing but check out his YouTube videos), Mountain Goat, SlipKnot, AK, Sonic Goose, Greyhound and Austin Shrock (on Appalachian Trials).

If you combine only a few of these, a trail guide and/or adventure book could easily be written - some great writing and documenting going on this year.

I have yet to find a Trail Journal account that holds my interest. Why? Too many interruptions and town visits. Example:

Portage's TJ for March 20---"It was freezing outside and I made the descent to the nearby Waffle House as quickly as I could."

He spent the night in Asheville. And his "descent" was from a motel room to a restaurant.

Then on March 22 he bails into the town of Hot Springs.

I have noticed more and more TJ accounts to be thusly interrupted by non-interesting motel stays and town trips. I wish TJs would categorize their journals by how few town visits a backpacker does.

Does anyone know of such journals??

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I have yet to find a Trail Journal account that holds my interest. Why? Too many interruptions and town visits.
    Hum, that gives me an idea. Maybe the only thing I'll write about in my Trail Journal on my trip this year will be about town and restaurant visits. After all, what's there to say about the trail other then I walked past a lot of trees and rocks.
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 04-04-2016 at 17:21.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I like Conductor, Rabbit and Slip Knot and am starting to follow Bunkie. Yeah, since you can only carry 5 or so days of food, you do have to go into town. While there, why not visit the awful waffle.

Registered User displacedbeatnik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ranjr13 View Post
    Austin Shrock (on Appalachian Trials).
    Austin also has a daily trail journal on his own WordPress account at https://austinschrock.wordpress.com/

That kid makes me tired with how many miles he goes each day but he's a great read.
    AT Leapfrogging in 2016i (Central Virginia next) http://walkinghometodc.wordpress.com

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ranjr13 View Post
    Portage #1, plus Coach, North Star, Tic and Berkeley (a German Shepherd), Rooster (little writing but check out his YouTube videos), Mountain Goat, SlipKnot, AK, Sonic Goose, Greyhound and Austin Shrock (on Appalachian Trials).

If you combine only a few of these, a trail guide and/or adventure book could easily be written - some great writing and documenting going on this year.
    We met Tic in the Smokies last Saturday. Berkeley, being a dog, wasn't allowed.
    Also following Portage, nice write-up.

Not to shamelessly plug my own work, but Chex and I maintain a blog over at thelifealpine.com . We post around once per week and vary between talking about our experiences and the trail in general.

Anyone reading about people getting sick after eating in Damascus? I was just reading El Tejano's journal and he got sick. Seems to me he isn't the first one I have read about this year getting sick in town.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Default 2016 trail journals you are following

shameful self promotion : I've updated once a week for the first 340 miles.

www.sleepinatent.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++