Default Nobo girl, looking for company

Hey all,

To be frank, the mountains are calling and I must go. I've backpacked little parts of the AT in the recent past, but now that I've graduated college it's finally time to go for a substantial amount of time. I'm a 21yo female though.. and mom and dad would feel much better if I had a concrete hiking partner/friend to go with. Id love to start at Springer in March and hike until mid June. No real goals to meet, just covering good ground, soul searching, and escaping the "real world" for a while. I've backpacked plenty in life, so I'm reasonable about milage and I generally know the ropes. I have all the gear on deck, I'm in relatively good shape, and I'm truly just ready to spend some time in the woods.

If anyone is thinking of starting in March and wants to make a serious friend, let's see if our plans coincide!

- Didge

Sent you a pm.

Thanks Rodney! Unfortunately I failed to mention I was searching for a female friend! Sorry about that.

No problem. See ya on the trail.

I'm 20. I'm taking a semester off from college to hike NOBO. However, I can't start until either May or right at the beginning of June (as in, the 1st).

Just show up. With between 20 and 50 people a day starting out that time of year, hooking up with a like minded hiking partner will not be a problem. There will be a wide range of ages, genders and levels of ability to choose from.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Heh, I'm an old/older man, and my father was also concerned about my hiking alone. Parents never really cease to be parents despite one's age or sex. I just explained that the way it works is that it's a social trail, where people who tend to hike at the same pace, end up meeting and supporting each other to some extent. Pre-made plans to hike together can more easily fall apart due to different paces/budgets/town stops/etc. That seemed to ease his mind a bit.

Images

Hey! Only 14 minutes between OP posting and the first creepy old guy...
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe View Post
    Hey! Only 14 minutes between OP posting and the first creepy old guy...
    I bet her parents feel a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by lbreland View Post
    I'm 20. I'm taking a semester off from college to hike NOBO. However, I can't start until either May or right at the beginning of June (as in, the 1st).
    PM'd you with my daughters info, she's hiking around the same time.

Not all older men are creeps, bud!

Quote Originally Posted by LostDawg View Post
    Not all older men are creeps, bud!
    Haha. Your name is lost DAWG. LOL
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I'm a 24 year old solo female and I have to say it took my parents a good couple of months to warm up to the idea of it. I'll be starting my NOBO from Springer on April 24!

Journal Entries

I followed a young lady's 2015 AT thru hike on youtube, her trail name was Dixie, Homemade Underlust on YT. She's good about answering questions about her experiences and gives great advise. You may want to check her out.

Journal Entries

That "concrete" partner thing, doesnt work for newbies unless its a child, spouse, longtime friend, or significant other.

When they quit, and odds are that they will, are you going to quit too?
    What if they quit on day 3,5,7?
    25% do.

Dont choose a partner based on anything except compatibility due to experience, and even then......dont get real attached. 80% will quit. Most others have their own schedule to keep too. You will most likely change partners or groups a few times if you stick with it.

You will meet dozens in the first couple days, the trail will be overrun with hikers. You are not alone by any stretch of imagination. Have a little confidence in yourself.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-18-2016 at 21:51.

Hi! I sent you a pm. I am also female and about the same age! I would love to find a hiking buddy

++ New Posts ++