WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Suggest a week long hike for me in Sierras that involves the JMT!

I almost posted this in a different JMT thread, but didn't want to hijack that one.

A couple of years ago I hiked from Yosemite to Red's Meadow on the JMT. Loved it. Really loved it. I'd like to hop back on at Red's Meadow and finish the trail up, but I won't have enough time off to do that. The logistics of getting on at Red's and going southbound for a week and finding a way to get off look very challenging. I'll be going in late August or early September.

So, I was hoping to hop back on at Red's and find a nice loop hike from there. Anything from about 4-8 days that hits up some great scenery. I can stare at the maps, but I've found asking people here tends to be very helpful. Anyone got any suggestions?

I guess any outstanding week in the Sierras, regardless of starting point, would work for me. Thank you!

Images

A loop would be great, but I haven't seen any obvious ones yet. But just a thought, get on the JMT at Reds, or even Bishop (the trail from the trailhead near Bishop to the JMT is a fantastic little 11-mile stretch), head south, get off by heading east over Kersage pass, then down to Onion Valley. There is a shuttle service here:

http://eastsidesierrashuttle.com/

that could solve any logistics problems. Kinda pricey though. Or just a hitch. Or a shuttle from someone in Bishop, perhaps. This is an outstanding section of trail, I personally think better than Reds->Yosemite.

I think there is a side trail along the way, south from reds, to get you out around Bishop......

I've done a bit of research about alternatives and the big seki loop looks like a good one

Journal Entries

You didnt even see the good parts of the JMT yet.

Try the High Sierra Trail. Permits arent easy. Getting to western trailhead is even harder without someone driving you.

Start with the giant sequioas, travel west to east across great western divide in SEKI. Intersect JMT, follow it to summit Whitney, then out at Whitney Portal.

http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisi...erra-trail.htm

Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-12-2016 at 23:48.

Journal Entries

"I can stare at the maps, but I've found asking people here tends to be very helpful. Anyone got any suggestions?"

Hopefully the maps that you're perusing include the Forest Service's large ones of the Ansel Adams Wilderness (which you traversed on your last trip) and the adjoining (and much larger) John Muir Wilderness. It possible to identify lots of attractive loops on those maps.

I'm a fan of Iva Bell Hot Springs in Fish Creek/Cascade Valley. Those springs are located south of Reds, within the northern most part of the John Muir Wilderness. They are far enough from the nearest road (13 vertically challenging miles away, at Reds) and also from the JMT hiker traffic that people sometimes experience solitude there. I once spent an enjoyable zero day soaking at the Iva Bell Hot Springs, as part of a six day trip from along this route: Reds Meadow--Iva Bell Hot Springs--Purple Lake--Duck Lake--town of Mammoth Lakes.

But, if you are like most hikers, you will want to walk at least twice as fast as I do, covering more mileage each day. So a better seven day loop for you might be something like Reds Meadow--Iva Bell Hot Springs--Lake of the Lone Indian-Silver Divide-Virgina Lake--Purple Lake--Duck Lake--exit to 'civilization' at either Mammoth Lakes or Reds Meadow. And, other possible loops could be formed within that general area, between Reds Meadow and Lake Thomas Edison/Vermilion Valley Ranch.

https://www.google.com/search?q=iva+...sAQIHQ#imgrc=_

https://www.google.com/search?q=iva+...nevada&imgrc=_

MuddyWaters,
    Your photos are fabulous! Makes me want to start planning my next hike, and I haven't even hiked this one yet.

An unbelievably epic 5-8 day trip is to start at Independence (Onion Valley trail head), go over Kearsarge Pass into Kings Canyon National Park; take a left onto the John Muir Trail, and go over Forester Pass into Sequoia National Park; spend the last night at Guitar Lake, get up at 2-3 in the morning and go up to the top of Mount Whitney and watch the sunrise; go down Whitney Portal trail and pass by all the people day hiking Whitney with massive altitude headaches, while you walk down the hundred switchbacks with a light pack, feeling great after a week of acclimating in the Sierras. Catch a ride down from the Portal with someone into Lone Pine and make your way back to Independence or Onion Valley to pick up your car. Can either do this trip fast or slow depending on how much you want to explore. It is way, way, way easier to get a permit out of Onion Valley and summit Whitney than it is to try to get a permit to day hike or do an overnight trip up Whitney, due to the massive trail restrictions and quotas in place now.

Design a loop for yourself by looking at both the maps Siestita mentioned. Too many options to choose from to rightly nail down the best loop for you. If you do that you'll get this: "I guess any outstanding week in the Sierras, regardless of starting point, would work for me." Done. Go do it. It's your hike. You design it.

I also recommend the High Sierra Trail (HST). It's really easy to get to the trailhead, because there is a shuttle that goes from Visalia directly to the park (Sequoia Shuttle), and as a bonus you get to see a ton of beautiful sequoias before starting the hike. The trail will take about a week to complete, and you finish on Mt. Whitney. Permits are easy to get also.

Default Great loop starting on the HST

If you do the High Sierra Trail from Sequoia all the way to Whitney Portal, there is the logistics problem of getting back to your starting point. We did an excellent loop that started on the HST in Sequoia, but left that trail after Nine Lakes Basin. There is easily followed trail to Little Five Lakes, then an easy climb up Blackrock Pass, followed by a long downhill, a stretch through huge Sequoias, uphill to Bearpaw Sierra Camp, then back on the HST. Fantastic scenery with no logistics problems.

++ New Posts ++