WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Bivy Length

Default Bivy Length

I'm looking at getting my first bivy, so I hope to hear from a few people who already use them. I'm looking at the Borah Snowyside which is 6' 4" long. My pad, quilt, and I are about 5' 6". The Snowyside can be ordered with custom dimensions, but I don't know how much extra space in the bag would be useful for stowing gear. I would like people's opinions on whether they find extra length in a bivy useful, and if so, how much extra length would you ideally have?

Thank you in advance for your perspective.

Make it about a foot longer then you are, 18" at the most. That will give you just enough room to put several small items at your head which you might need in the night, like your flashlight, phone, etc. Everything else stays in the pack.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I'm about your size and use a standard bivy (to 6' 4"). Unlike a sleeping bag, some extra length is fine, whether you use it for storage or not. Typically I have almost nothing in the bivy except for my clothes bag/pillow and goretex on the side when needed, map, wallet and light near the head, and hat on my head if it's buggy out. But by the time you hang your food and put your boots in or under your pack, there's not much left except for poles.
    The extra room can come in handy when changing clothes, or if you're setting up in the rain (it's easier to toss stuff in if you have extra space.

Thank you both for your input. I appreciate it.

++ New Posts ++