WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I add olive oil to almost all my evening meals. On longer trips I use a plastic bottle that I have tested at home to be leak-free. Never had a problem with the right bottle. Oil resupply can be mailed to yourself in sealed plastic pouches (using a heat sealing machine). Have done this many times. Minimus sells 1/2 oz individual packs of extra virgin olive oil that I also like for short trips, though this is a more expensive option.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

The online company Minimus.biz has Olive Oil packets.
    Their stuff isn't cheap if you need large quantities... but isn't that the case for all the 'travel size' stuff you can find in WalMart and many pharmacies?
    I like that for stuff that comes in single use packets (like condiment packets), you can buy as many or as few as you need from Minimus.biz... you're not required to buy fixed lot sizes.
    I've used this company several times to resupply parts of my 1st aid kit.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    I just pack a stick of margarine. No leaking to worry about. No O-rings. No special containers.
    Ghee. Much better all the way around.

There is a jar of this on my kitchen counter. Mrs. Wayne will vouch for the quality & taste. She's hard to please.
    http://www.organicvalley.coop/products/butter/ghee/

Wayne

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

The problem with ordering the packets online is the shipping cost. I don't think I would buy more than 20 packets at a time, so that comes to $8.00, but shipping is another $8.66 for the cheapest method.
    I'll take a drive or run up to the Container store and pick up several different Nalgene bottles and tops.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Arden View Post
    The problem with ordering the packets online is the shipping cost. I don't think I would buy more than 20 packets at a time, so that comes to $8.00, but shipping is another $8.66 for the cheapest method...
    Minimus.biz ships for free if your order is over $20. There's so many cool little things there that I can usually find enough to exceed that threshold.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Minimus.biz ships for free if your order is over $20. There's so many cool little things there that I can usually find enough to exceed that threshold.
    Thanks for cluing me in on this site.

I use a mini bottle of water. Like the ones for kids. Drink the water and reuse the bottle. I put the bottle in a small sandwich bag zip lock for insurance.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Chris
    [email protected]
    978-804-1131
    Shuttle services to/from Boston Logan or Manchester, NH airports to/from all points in MA, NH, VT, and ME.

The problem with ordering the packets online is the shipping cost. I don't think I would buy more than 20 packets at a time, so that comes to $8.00, but shipping is another $8.66 for the cheapest method.
    I'll take a drive or run up to the Container store and pick up several different Nalgene bottles and tops.
    Like you I have wanted a really leak proof vessel with a rubber gasket to carry oil. I have been using a small 16oz plastic water bottle and keep it in my pack side pocket with my water water bottle. There are some relatively light flasks out there that might do the trick. Stanley makes a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a travel size listerine bottle. 3.25 fl oz

Subway has the packets and most locations near me have them out where you don't have to ask for them. That's what I carry with me.

a little plumber's Teflon tape around the threads of the small Nalgene bottles and you are good to go.

Images

I've always just used some travel sized contact lens solution bottles they've worked just fine for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe Crisco has an EVOO in a plastic container right on the grocery store shelf. It's 16 fl oz so perhaps more than most of you would like. Me having some Greek in my ancestry might consider that barely enough for a week or two.
    Last edited by perrymk; 02-11-2016 at 09:16.

Journal Entries
    Images

Hi;
    I have been carrying a small amount of cooking oil on my multi-day treks. I used a 2 oz plastic bottle with a screw cap, and put that into a zip-lock baggie. I didn't use up all the oil I took, and when I got home I found that the oil had leaked from the bottle into the baggie, then through the securely zipped baggie and into my bear canister. I need a small (2oz or smaller) bottle with an O-ring to keep the oil inside, but have had no luck in finding one that small.

I could use a similar bottle for the small amount of bug spray I carry (not in the bear canister with my food). I had the same thing happen there, but lucky for me the stuff didn't leak out into my new backpack, but instead leaked into a smaller and older day pack after I had finished my trek.
    In the future, I will probably just buy a smaller bottle of DEET, so that solves that problem, but I cannot buy a small enough bottle of cooking oil, and what is available is mostly sold in glass bottles of 7oz or more.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Arden
    Remove the paper/foam cap from the lid and try it again. Possibly was't on tight.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I've used these two for carrying liquids I definitely don't want to leak - cooking oils and alchy stove fuel. They are marketed as leak proof, having a high impact resistance, and will not easily split or puncture. 100% agree with the marketing after yrs of using them. Do check the cap for cracks though which I've seen happen on one or two occasions. Easy and cost effective to replace. Combine with a good quality visual double seal baggie like a Ziploc(the cheapest dollar store type brands suck to keep a tight seal for long and are made from thinner plastic), wrap the extra Ziploc around the bottle securing with a rubber band, and store in a safe place in your backpack, etc. I usually store my 4 oz bottle of oil or 6-8 oz flask shaped alchy fuel bottle in my cookpot. Never a mishap.

http://www.rei.com/product/402055/na...bottle-4-fl-oz

http://www.rei.com/product/402028/fl...bottle-8-fl-oz

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptical Dog View Post
    Switch to coconut oil; it's a solid at below 75 degrees. When you need some, put the bottle in your pocket for a few minutes.
    On cold weather strenuous treks I too mix it up taking along coconut oil or, better yet since I'm not customarily hardcore frying on trail, Edwards & Sons Let's Do Organic Creamed Coconut for sauces. The coconut oil is better for frying, sauteing, etc. Coconut cream or milk has much better flavor. Adding coconut milk or cream for sauces, even finding dried powdered versions, and adding to meals like many do with other cooking oils like EVOO on hikes can be considered. It still needs to be safely stored though just in case. Edwards & Sons let's Do Organic Creamed Coconut is only about $2-2.50 for a 7 oz solid bar below 75* great for fat content and flavoring. It has a much creamier aspect to it. I see it in mainstream large grocery stores often in the Organic section and of course at Earth Fares, Sprouts, Wholefoods, health food stores, etc Consideration should be given to dry alternatives depending on what one is attempting to accomplish on trail. If one is simply seeking to add a cooking oil to trail food for extra cals, nutrition, or flavor dehydrated or dry mixes might be preferable to a liquid solving the safely carrying stored liquid issue

More people who aren't accustomed to coconut products in the U.S. should try them on trail.

http://www.vitacost.com/lets-do-orga...TftRoCD8jw_wcB

+1 on the REI bottles, I have used for years both backpacking and in the kitchen, in-destructible, easy to open with cold hands, tight seal, odorless. A little heavy but worth it for fuel and oils,

Just posted a review on Trailspace this morning of a 4oz flip top tube that would work great in this application. Only drawback would be the possible need for a syringe for filling the tube with oil. I've had no issue creating a vacuum to suck up stove alcohol but oil is probably too viscous and would need to be injected most likely, but I could be wrong.

See the review here for details and pictures:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/other...t/#review35057
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Images

Repurpose used "5 hour energy" type bottles for small quantities. Use them for small quantities of honey, maple syrup, oil, alcohol (fuel or shots), powders (spices), etc. High quality lightweight container that seals better than many "travel bottles" at zero cost.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

:banana

I was just about to post my find when I saw your question. Although I read the responses, shipping for an inexpensive bottle from the container store (no outlets in my area) mean you'd pay $7-8 shipping for a bottle worth a couple of of bucks. Although I am not a big fan if Wally World, they do have a cheap solution. Coghlan's has a 7-container camp storage bottle set with TWO 2-ounce flip- top bottles selling for under $5. They are not Maltese, but are BPA free pharmaceutical grade plastic. No worries, no fussing with plastic bag gaskets and rubber-bands, or Teflon tape. I will try and attach pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++