WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Will my dog pop my sleeping pad?

I've always used a foam pad. Now that I'm getting older I have a much harder time sleeping on the ground and am thinking about getting an inflatable sleeping pad. My worry is that I'll spend a bunch of money on something that my dog will take one jump on and pop. Do I worry too much? My dog has a history of destroying gear...jumped all over a brand new tent that I ended up throwing away when the trip was over.

"" Do I worry too much? My dog has a history of destroying gear..."
    DUH!

Quote Originally Posted by ALLEGHENY View Post
    "" Do I worry too much? My dog has a history of destroying gear..."
    DUH!
    Some things are more durable than others. Wondering how durable different models of sleeping pads are. Typical dog behavior includes them scratching the ground and walking in a circle trying to find the perfect spot to sleep in. Do others who hike with dogs use inflatable pads?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

What kind of mattress? The thick classic thermarest mattress would probably hold up just fine, a UL mattress like a neoair, is a high risk item around a dog. I'm speaking from experience on both accounts. That said if a dog decides to "dig" on a mattress it is very likely to damage it.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    if a dog decides to "dig" on a mattress it is very likely to damage it.
    Yup... had this happen in the amount of time it took me to move a load of laundry from the washer to the dryer! (Had the pad out testing for leaks prior to a trip - guess it had one!)

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Before we give dogs too much of a bad name, just be glad they're not cats.

Cats + air mattress = Abandon all hope.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Yes. My dog popped my Thermarest by just stepping on it in the living room.

I think ghost heads got mine on my last trip. Then I had to blow it up every 2 hours, for several nights until I had a new one shipped to me.
    I shipped the old one home, so now I can practice repairing. I don't think the actual repair part will be that hard - but the tricky part will be finding the leak with what you have, out on the trail...

Dogs will most certainly destroy pads. I bought a pad for my dog, he blew it the first trip.

Buddies Black German Shepard ran and slipped/ slid across an exped synmat and it blew a baffle the next night.

Thermorest regular my German Shorthair popped it.

My dog carries a thermarest folding pad, and STEARS CLEAR of my expeds. he sleeps in vestibule and Exped goes straight in my nest, I cut two baffles off of his folding mat and that is now my seat
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I recently purchased a XS Thermarest Prolite pad for my dog. I put a thin fleece blanket over it for protection (and some comfort) and have had no issues with his nails. I also use a Neoair All- season in the winter and I hate to admit that my dog has walked all over it. I have not had an issue but his nails are generally pretty short. I could certainly happen but I think most pads are more durable than we think they are.

Yea, my dog popped my blowup just by walking on it.

Whoops.

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    I recently purchased a XS Thermarest Prolite pad for my dog. I put a thin fleece blanket over it for protection (and some comfort) and have had no issues with his nails. I also use a Neoair All- season in the winter and I hate to admit that my dog has walked all over it. I have not had an issue but his nails are generally pretty short. I could certainly happen but I think most pads are more durable than we think they are.
    With my experience Ide have to disagree, Pads today are made to be light, not durable. One of the old vintage Thermarests that seem to be made of a 12oz bull denim you might be able to get away with k-9 tomfoolery but several of my light pads have not stood the test of the dog stomp.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    With my experience Ide have to disagree, Pads today are made to be light, not durable. One of the old vintage Thermarests that seem to be made of a 12oz bull denim you might be able to get away with k-9 tomfoolery but several of my light pads have not stood the test of the dog stomp.
    Yea I agree with you on the light vs durable thing. Maybe I have gotten lucky so far. I did pop one pad but that was a human operator error not a dog operator error.

Popped Neoair.jpg

My inflatable mattress has so many pin holes it uses a CPAP to stay lofted throughout the night.

Thanks for all of the replies. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. If I decide to go inflatable it will be the cheapest pad I can find so I won't have a broken heart WHEN the dog pops it. I've been buying $30 Walmart tents for the past 5 years or so because I don't trust the dog with an expensive tent...a tent usually lasts a year and a half to two years doing about 20 trips a year.

Good luck with your choice of pad or pads. Your statement that your dog destroyed gear and you asking if your dog could destroy a pad had me puzzled.

You can look at the "top fabric type" to get an idea of durability.

Have camped with dogs on a "Thermarest Camper" pad whose top fabric is described as "75d Polyester". It's pretty burly, I keep my dog's nails trimmed & smooth, and I don't let him waltz about on the pad or dig. He's also only 25lbs. Haven't had an issue yet.

Maybe if your dog really is terribly hard on your gear, you could use a two-pad combo like many do in winter. Put your foam pad on top of the inflatable pad, let the dog tear up the foam pad. I'm not sure how comfortable it will be as I've never tried it, but it might work nicely

Quote Originally Posted by ALLEGHENY View Post
    Good luck with your choice of pad or pads. Your statement that your dog destroyed gear and you asking if your dog could destroy a pad had me puzzled.
    Ah...I guess I asked for it :-) ...I was clinging to the hope that somebody would post saying "my dog is an absolute disaster and I have X pad and he hasn't been able to pop it yet."

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Ah...I guess I asked for it :-) ...I was clinging to the hope that somebody would post saying "my dog is an absolute disaster and I have X pad and he hasn't been able to pop it yet."
    My dog is an 80 lb Pit Bull and has walked all over my pad (mentioned above). I did some further research and did notice the Neoair All Season has a 75D Polyster Diamond Ripstop vs (30D Rip Nylon XLite and 30D Rip Nylon XTherm). Certainly worth considering.

Disclaimer: I know the 75D is much tougher but besides that I don't know much about the different materials.

++ New Posts ++