WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: AT Job Crisis

Section Hiker

This is ALL really great advice, on both sides of the equation. My brain would tell me to take the job, save, and pay off my debt, but keep planning a hike (and section hike for now if you can). My heart would tell me you only live once, you have the freedom, go and hike!

I'm a single mom and am section hiking until my son is finished high school in four years. I have a desk job that is ok, but not what I want to be doing, so I just downsized my house, paid off debt, shrank my budget, simplified my life and am putting myself in a position to be able to do whatever I want in four years: finish the AT, hike other trails, get a job in an outdoor-related field, etc.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Images

go hike do your dream first

If it helps at all, I'm 27, have 20k in student loans and am thru-hiking this year. I tried to last year and made it 160 miles before I got tendonitis in BOTH feet and lost 3 toenails. My hiking partner also had to leave so it was just a bummer in general but still something I'm very glad I did (I feel like I 100% know what I'm getting into by trying again). I feel like I had this debate with myself at the end of last year when I had a job offer and couldn't decide to take it and save more or just go for it again. Ultimately for me it comes down to this...I can ALWAYS get a job somewhere. And I don't mean to sound entitled with that it's just truly what I believe. Whether it's in my degree field or Starbucks or whatever I will have one. I CANNOT always hike the trail. You're a little younger (early 20's vs. late 20's) but if you think you have reasons to not go now those reasons will only multiply by 1000 in the next 3-5 years. Be it a relationship, marriage, children, a BETTER job than what you're offered now, the list goes on and on. It might be more fiscally responsible to payoff your loans but the job you would be taking sounds pretty extensive in terms of management and I'm sure they would want you to grow with them.

Just really think what will bother you more in the next 5 years. Not taking the job or not hiking the trail. And really sit with that decision for a week or two before you really choose. Hope that helps.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++