WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The beach wearing a loaded backpack. Hiking nearby low soft sandy dunes in FL when I lived in Tampa, Pt Charlotte/Punta Gorda, and Ft Myers and stadium/building steps was great backpacking training.

Backpacking training isn't all about having to hike on a trail or training on great ascents/descents on trails. IMO, it's an accepted fallacy that the best training for a LD hike is hiking. This does not have to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    Can't tell whether you're serious or not.
    Absolutely serious. Planning on leaving a decent shark tooth on Springer Mountain on May 16. Anyone for starting a new tradition?

Just researching Torreya State Park for an upcoming tune-up hike. It was described as the "southern end of the Appalachian mountain chain". Logically, then shouldn't the southern terminus of the AT be in the Florida panhandle? And, while we're at it, couldn't a few miles be included in Alabama and South Carolina and thereby include every eastern state except Delaware and Rhode Island, which are after all the 2 smallest states?

I know there has been some discussion about extending the AT into Alabama. Why not Florida? After all, the low point on the AT is about 120 feet above sea level ( New York). Torrey SP is higher than that at it's peak...

Extending the AT into Florida? I know for a fact that this was discussed. The "feasible" route was west from Springer then south thru Alabama looping back thru the Florida panhandle. Obviously nothing further since then. That was 1980s. Maybe today there would be more momentum.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

There is also the Garden of Eden trail just on the north side of Bristol not too far south of Torreya off of Hwy 12. It's less than 4 miles but in some places more rugged than Torreya. The best part is that it sees ALOT less traffic than Torreya so you're bound to see more wildlife. http://floridahikes.com/gardenofeden

Quote Originally Posted by MockingJay View Post
    There is also the Garden of Eden trail just on the north side of Bristol not too far south of Torreya off of Hwy 12. It's less than 4 miles but in some places more rugged than Torreya. The best part is that it sees ALOT less traffic than Torreya so you're bound to see more wildlife. http://floridahikes.com/gardenofeden
    And it is back open now...was closed most of last year due to downed trees from a tornado.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Eagle View Post
    Had an idea while walking the soft sand at Jax Beach the other day. I was watching the people looking for shark teeth while they were watching me walk with full pack.

I know there is a tradition of picking up a pebble at Springer and delivering it to Katahdin. How about us Florida AT hikers drop a shark tooth at the top of Springer when we pick up our pebble?
    Nice..I live just north of u in AB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Eagle View Post
    Just researching Torreya State Park for an upcoming tune-up hike. It was described as the "southern end of the Appalachian mountain chain". Logically, then shouldn't the southern terminus of the AT be in the Florida panhandle? And, while we're at it, couldn't a few miles be included in Alabama and South Carolina and thereby include every eastern state except Delaware and Rhode Island, which are after all the 2 smallest states?

I know there has been some discussion about extending the AT into Alabama. Why not Florida? After all, the low point on the AT is about 120 feet above sea level ( New York). Torrey SP is higher than that at it's peak...
    I'm a fl flatlander also, I've never had a problem doing 15-20 mpd on the southern AT strait out of the gate. I'm 41 years old, I weight train and do cardio 4-5 days per week. General fitness is all that's need. No real elevation to speak of on the east coast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++