WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default "Gem" of the AT ?

I found this article interesting:
    http://appalachiantrials.com/three-g...own-of-hiking/

In brief, it talks about a sort of "mini triple crown" (aka "triple gem") where you hike the Long Trail, the Colorado Trail, and the John Muir Trail, thus knocking off three "gems" that are subsets of their respective triple crown trails.

I've hiked all of the JMT and the parts of the CT and the LT that overlap the CDT and AT respectively. I've not hiked the other parts of the CT or LT.

In the context of thru-hiking each of the full trails, however, I certainly agree that the JMT is a 'gem' of the PCT. The CT perhaps a little less so --- Colorado is incredible, but I wouldn't regard the portion of the CT that overlaps the CDT as being particularly fantastic; GNP, the Winds, the San Juans, other places along the CDT are at least as much 'gems' as the CT IMO. The CT does, however, offer a discrete well marked and well known subset trail, and one that is no doubt well worth hiking (!).

I'm writing this here as I'm no sort of expert on the LT, but my recollection from an AT thru-hike was that the part of the LT that overlaps it isn't super special. Nice, but not a big standout. If I were to pick 'gems' of the AT, I'd pick the more usual suspects: Grayson Highlands/Mount Rogers area, Smokies, I'd more readily include the Shenendoah N.P. if you couldn't drive it, certainly the White Mountains, and goodly stretches of Maine.

This "mini triple crown" is nevertheless a clever idea, I don't mean to quibble with it. It's just that, of the three trails, if I were to pick a "~couple hundred mile" subset of the AT as the "best part", it wouldn't likely include much or any of the Long Trail. Maybe instead I'd suggest "the Whites" (122 miles). Longer, and more impressive IMO than the 71 miles through the Smokies, and also somewhat of a discrete part. The hassle/expense of the AMC system puts me off there slightly however. So maybe if one had to pick a "mini triple crown" set of trails the LT actually is a good choice?

This is one of those philosophical discussions that, I think, require sitting around in a group with alcohol involved.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

The Long Trail is the "Readers Digest" version of the AT compressed into 267 miles. Starts out a little bumpy, gets a little easier for a bit and then real hard for the last part.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Those who prefer NH and Maine will disagree, but I think the best 50 +/- miles of the AT are SOBO from Dickey Gap to Damascus. It's got almost every environment and feature within that zone that you can experience on a full AT hike--albeit in smaller chunks. Plus if you time it just right, you end up at Trail Days!

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

The LT is not a subset of the AT - it was predecessor to the AT.

Small states get particular about stuff like that. Now, let's have a beer, a Vermont beer of course. We have lots of 'em... drink like a local!

Images

The problem with discussion like this is that it is entirely subjective. We all have our favorites. As Deadeye pointed out not only does the LT predate the AT, the AT and probably most of of America's long trails owe their existence to the LT. I think the LT's history alone cements it as "a gem" to say nothing of it's beauty.

I cannot spare the 5-6 months to thru hike the AT....so my most enjoyable "thru hike" is still the LT. Plan on returning there this fall to try it again. I love Vermont in the fall, love the trail, the people, the scenery. Have not done the JMT or CT yet. The AT is experiencing the phenomena of way too many hikers NoBo in the spring, and IMO that really detracts from the experience. The LT in September is never as crowded as the AT.

I agree with you on the CT in comparing to the CDT in CO. Not as nice, but a good warmup.
    And yes, the JMT is the most scenic part and Awesome part of the PCT.
    The LT's northern part is it's best IMO.
    More like the AT was meant to be, (when I hiked it anyway, don't know if it's changed) (1999)
    Steeper climbs, more remote, more wilderness, better shelters (or maybe they just aren't as crowded)
    It's a good trail (as all 3 are)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Journal Entries

LT =/= AT in experience, The AT is so much more then just a walk in the woods, there is a community aspect and a acceptance for who one is by those who you will encounter. As such I would say Winding Stairs Gap to Damascus. Winding Stairs gap only chosen for the freedom that the GSMNP thru hiker permit gives, but all else is good, the restrictions of the Smokies (one of the most highly regulated, and remote parts of the AT), A great hostel after and then the greatest trail town on the AT, followed with a AT landmark, Max Patch, on to the greatest AT trailtown Hot Springs, and then with some memorable landmarks(including Ukiniqua Mt, Erwin and on to Damascus.

Journal Entries

The 3 trails of the little triple crown, are called so because they represent the flavor of their cousins. Not because they are the best parts.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-07-2016 at 21:27.

Gems are small and found one at a time, so in that regard, there are a lot of gems on the AT. I would hazard to guess that there are small "looks", views, occurrences, and sightings that make the day/week/month special for people that occur in places outside of the more well known attraction areas of the Trail.

The young porcupine just off a road crossing standing stock still until mom comes around and nudges it back into the woods, climbing an interminably long stretch of trail and rounding a bend to step out of the tree line into a 30 mile view, the perfect campsite halfway between shelters discovered when looking for water, the sunset after a three day rain slog, all gems in and of themselves to those paying attention.

Traveler, well said!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

IIRC, it was Dmitri "Coup" Coupounas(of GoLite fame) who coined the term "Triple Gem". As said above, the idea was a way to get a complete trail within the larger trail framework and get a taste of the bigger brother.

On the AT, one could swap out the BMT for the LT if someone wanted a taste of the southern Appalachians. (Not saying the LT or the BMT is better..but northern New England and southern Apps are different for sure).
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    The LT is not a subset of the AT - it was predecessor to the AT.

Small states get particular about stuff like that. Now, let's have a beer, a Vermont beer of course. We have lots of 'em... drink like a local!
    Okay! How about a micro triple crown? Long Trail Ale, AZ Trail Ale and Sierra Nevada.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

The LT is much different than the AT. The Northern part of the LT is somewhat like the Whites. Just wouldn't want to miss out on the Southern AT experience.
    Last edited by lemon b; 01-10-2016 at 10:52.

++ New Posts ++