Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wrist watches

Default Wrist watches

I am wondering what wrist watches ladies are wearing on the trail. My usual watch, which is a gold and diamond dress watch, is obviously completely unsuitable but It appears that all the hiking watches are for men. I am OK with buying a Casio pro trek (rangeman) or something similar, but before I do would like to explore what others have done, if anything. Cheers.

My wife loves these http://www.swatch.com/en_us/bijoux2/skin. Incredibly light and thin, and virtually plastic encased. A little pricey, but for a gold-and-diamond kinda gal, perhaps not too bad. And welcome to WB!
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Do they still make self-winding watches? Seems like that would be a great feature for the trail.

If you like fitness bands, my wife loves her Fitbit ChargeHR, but you could go with a Garmin Vivo (longer batter life) if charging is a problem - the fitbit is only good for a few days between charges. She had a Vivo but prefers the Fitbit because of the bluetooth features and alarm, etc.

I'm a Casio guy, FWIW - had G-Shocks for about 25 years. My latest is a riseman - I really like the solar power. The barometer and altimeter go largely unused for me.

Images

I love my Timex Ironman (for women). Waterproof, pretty shockproof, light function to check time in the middle of the night, alarm...as well as other features. I have been a fan of them for many years and many long hikes. You can find them for less money elsewhere, but here are just a few styles to choose from: http://www.timex.com/women

Or, Nike has a pretty straightforward watch. It just depends on what features you are looking for in a watch.

Thanks so much! Yes, these ones do look very nice. Cheers!

Thanks everyone! A lot of good info very quickly. AHB

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grouse View Post
    And welcome to WB!
    Thank you!

Something to think about...if you use trekking poles, you may find a wrist watch may get in the way of the trekking pole wrist straps. I gave up wearing a wrist watch for this reason. I carry a cheap watch that is attached to the strap of my backpack for easy viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    I love my Timex Ironman (for women). Waterproof, pretty shockproof, light function to check time in the middle of the night, alarm...as well as other features. I have been a fan of them for many years and many long hikes. You can find them for less money elsewhere, but here are just a few styles to choose from: http://www.timex.com/women

Or, Nike has a pretty straightforward watch. It just depends on what features you are looking for in a watch.
    So I tried the men's model of the Timex Ironman-Love it! My complex Casio is in the drawer now.Do you really need to know the time in Sydney or Hong Kong,or the tide chart and moon phase?I don't think so......................

Images

A watch that includes an altimeter is incredibly helpful on the trail (IMHO). They tend to be larger though, and I am not able to find a women's version if that matters. These watches vary in size from "slightly bigger than a typical watch" to "hockey puck on a wrist strap".

Example: http://www.amazon.com/Casio-PAG240-1...2091151&sr=8-2

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    So I tried the men's model of the Timex Ironman-Love it! My complex Casio is in the drawer now.Do you really need to know the time in Sydney or Hong Kong,or the tide chart and moon phase?I don't think so......................
    Well, I don't personally need to know the time in other locations (my brain seems to automatically calculate that info)... I just know this is a solid watch. that can take a beating. Oh - and it tells time!

Yes, there are many other choices out there. Yes, there are many hiking styles out there - Some hike with watches, others don't. I don't keep my phone handy when I am hiking, so I need to have a watch available for meeting shuttles, etc.

You can find a Timex Ironman watch for a lot less than you used to have to pay. My current Ironman (sized for women) was only $19.99 at WalMart and I have had it for 5 yrs. I think it has matched the cheap watches out there, I know it will be dependable (for that, I am going to replace the battery before the hiking season this year), and I didn't buy it with the idea of just throwing it away if it didn't work out. I do my best to not contribute avoidable trash, and I have a hard time spending my money on something as a "throw away." I would rather spend a little more and get something that will work a bit longer. I plan on hiking for many years to come, so it isn't a huge investment on my part. YMMV

I personally have not had an issue with trekking pole straps catching on my watch. I tend to wear the pole straps loose... But, the difference might also be that women often have a narrower wrist than men. I mix it up and will wear my watch on the days when I need to meet someone, or have a specific goal in mind. On the days when I am more flexible with my hiking I will wear my watch on my pack strap.

I am a fan of minimal solar powered watches. Ever seen one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-BM8180.../dp/B000EQS1JW

http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-EW1270.../dp/B0012IP0S6

Little more expensive than a cheap digital watch, but I like how small & low profile they are.

Both are priced fairly high right now (thanks, holidays). I expect their prices should come back down, well below $100

Another vote for the Timex Ironman, here! It's my go-to watch for hiking. I've had mine for years and haven't had to replace the battery yet. You can often find them on sale at JC Penney or WalMart for less than $30.
    It keeps time (two different time modes, so when I travel into a different time zone, I use one for local time and one for the time back home) and date and also has an Indiglo light, alarm, stopwatch, etc. Also water resistant up to a depth that is more than adequate for my needs.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

And another big vote for the Timex Ironman. Simple, inexpensive, does what you need it too. My go-to hiking watch for many years.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post
    Another vote for the Timex Ironman, here! It's my go-to watch for hiking. I've had mine for years and haven't had to replace the battery yet. You can often find them on sale at JC Penney or WalMart for less than $30.
    It keeps time (two different time modes, so when I travel into a different time zone, I use one for local time and one for the time back home) and date and also has an Indiglo light, alarm, stopwatch, etc. Also water resistant up to a depth that is more than adequate for my needs.
    Regarding battery life, the battery will typically last a very long time on an LCD watch if you don't use the light or alarm a lot. They are the biggest current users. A Lithium watch cell can probably last 10 years just powering a small LCD display alone.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Personally I try to avoid rubber type wrist bands. I find they get very irritating. Of course you can change the band out on most any watch suggested here. I prefer a cloth band when hiking or doing anything physical.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I have the Ironman too but now I am enjoying my Fitbitz

For my upcoming thru-hike, I just bought a Casio LA11WB-1 for $20 that has a great reputation for being of more value than it costs. It'd be a shame to spend a lot of money and lose or damage the watch. Best of luck.

Ill be using my shark leash! Bought it for scuba diving: waterproof, digital, about $50. I personally like the look of the velcro, but shark makes a bunch of watches that look more traditional if its not your thing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++