WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    Calf massages. Most PF will be relieved by relieving the knots in your calves. Calf muscle shortens, the tendon still attaches to the game two spots but has to actually try to stretch. Tendons don't stretch. Muscles stretch. And they contract. Also, and this is going to sound out there, but PF is often related to lots of sitting followed by activity. The hip flexors shorten, hips rotate forward, stresses the hamstring as it tries to extend to compensate, then the knee, hip and ankle all start compensating and the calf throws in. But being the smallest muscle in that posterior chain, the calf gets over worked and tightens up. Think of your muscles as a chain. When something hurts, look up and down and correct all aspects.

I was a personal trainer for 20+ years and owned my own business until May 2015 with multiple locations and employees.
    Excellent info, thanks a ton. My PT has been trying to tell me this for about a year, it's finally sinking in and your post reinforces this.
    Do you have any thoughts on dry-needling? I have my first dry-needling appointment today to further relieve my calf muscle tightness (which as you say, aggravates PF and in my case, Achilles Tendonosis).

OMG. I feel for you Traveler. It is a nasty condition. I got mine from wearing shoes that didn't have enough support. Took months to clear up. I now wear New Balance boots that are very supportive and had specialized orthotics made by my foot doctor. I have not had a problem since. I know lots of people like trail runners, but they are not for me. Flat feet do best in hard soled boots.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Excellent info, thanks a ton. My PT has been trying to tell me this for about a year, it's finally sinking in and your post reinforces this.
    Do you have any thoughts on dry-needling? I have my first dry-needling appointment today to further relieve my calf muscle tightness (which as you say, aggravates PF and in my case, Achilles Tendonosis).
    Never heard of needling. I have had professional massages. Also learn proper technique for self myofascial release. Check out theEricBeard on YouTube for proper technique. The man is amazing. He used to be head of education for NASM and holds multiple degrees. He currently trains professional athletes and his specialty is injury rehabs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I've been dealing with Plantar Fasciitis and a bone spur as well. I had the Cortisone shot in both feet. Oh the pain... I had a reaction to the shot that was referred to as a "flare up." After 3 days of agony the pain from the shots began to subside. My left foot was pretty much back to normal. My right foot was in the same shape as before, if not a little more painful. I also had custom orthotics made that I was to wear. I could not. I would cry from the pain of wearing them when I was sitting down, not even putting weight on them. I talked to my podiatrist again and he recommended another shot. I decided to go with it because temporary pain is better than long-term, right? I didn't have a reaction to the shot, still pain from the shot itself though, but it really did nothing for me. The recommended advice was another shot in that foot.. I've read things about too many cortisone shots being worse for your foot so I started looking into other treatments. This is with me doing stretches with a resistance band, using a frozen golf ball to massage my foot in the morning, using a spiked massage ball, etc. I did not have a boot though.

Anyway, I found a chiropractor that did red light laser therapy. Really this is what began to turn things around for me. After another set of x-rays with him, I found I had the bone spur as well. This could be why the orthotics killed me. Overall, the therapy has been the best thing for me. I did 10 treatments (3x a week) and have been extending the length in between treatments from there. Insurance does not cover this for me (they didn't cover the useless orthotics either), but it is honestly the best money I can spend to help with the pain.

Also, I have 3 pair of Asics Gel Kayano 20s that I wear with an otc ProFoot plantar fasciitis insert.

I hope everyone is able to get their feet somewhat better.

Thanks to all for your comments, advice, and sympathies. My MD did say to return to the trail and do the exercises she provided and use ice/ibuprofen for heel pain and it should slowly get better. I will also use the advice of stretching after a hike to reduce the pain as well.

I remain concerned with what Colorado Rob said about fractures, so thats in frontal lobe. What has surprised me is the age spread with those suffering this condition (and related), it seems this malady can happen at most any age.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Thanks to all for your comments, advice, and sympathies. My MD did say to return to the trail and do the exercises she provided and use ice/ibuprofen for heel pain and it should slowly get better. I will also use the advice of stretching after a hike to reduce the pain as well.

I remain concerned with what Colorado Rob said about fractures, so thats in frontal lobe. What has surprised me is the age spread with those suffering this condition (and related), it seems this malady can happen at most any age.
    Just for the record, I never mentioned fractures....

Keep us posted on your progress, this is an excellent topic for some of us on here.

it seems this malady can happen at most any age

If you're a Lady Huskies fan, you may remember that a few years ago in her sophmore year Morgan Valley missed 22 games with PF.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Just for the record, I never mentioned fractures....

Keep us posted on your progress, this is an excellent topic for some of us on here.
    Sorry, I inserted that mentally as my initial thought about this was it may have been a stress fracture given I had increased my speed and number of hours/hiking events the second half of 2015.

The exercises the MD gave me seem to be working as designed, though it feels like the exercise keeping the balls of both feet on a stair tread and letting body weight stretch the hamstring and tendons does the most good. I do these ever few hours as they are easy and convenient during the day.

Initial follow up for anyone interested, after taking about 4 weeks off from exercise and doing stretches, I went up Race Mountain in MA yesterday in the heavier boots which felt a lot more supportive in the sole and heel area as opposed to trail shoes or runners I've been using. I did not have the same level of post hike pain, though the round trip was only 5 miles so I didn't push it. Stretched on my return, iced the heel, took some Ibuprofen, and stretched again later. This morning its a mild nuisance, not the roaring pain of a month ago when I last hiked in low shoes.

Hard to say what made the condition less painful, stiffer boots, anti-inflamatory meds, stretching, ice, or a combination of all three. I think a lot of it is related to the heavier boot, but one hike does not a statistic make. Not going to push it however, next planned hike is Monday after the weekend storm passes. I know some have an interest in this and some will develop an interest as they experience the condition (seems like a pretty common condition), so I will try to keep up with progress or changes (worsening or improved) as this process draws out.

Images

PF my new friend, took me off the trail twice in 2014. I have had a long history of gout that I was able to work with by getting shot up in the great toe of both feet about once to twice a month so I could go to work (firefighting) in the morning I would hobble to my doc's office to get shot up. When I first felt the pain of PF I though OMG gout, then I hoped for stress fracture that would heal, and many exams and tests later, labs, x-rays, CAT and MRI to find out that PF was added to my growing list of crap that's wrong with me, health wise. What worked for me was Time off, PT with a cold soda can, Injection series (x3), Night brace, Celebrex, Stretching more. At the time I was walking 17 miles a day every day for a year prior to the day I left for my 2013 thru before that that I was a 8 mile a day 5 out of 7 days walker. This year I am doing just 10 miles a day with one day off a week while looking forward to an April departure date and just hoping PF will not find me on the trail this year.
    Last edited by Busky2; 01-08-2016 at 09:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    I got a tennis ball for that, but good idea, thanks!
    If you go with the frozen bottle you will get the benefit of the cold Plus working more surface area of the foot sole.After wearing out the orthodic my MD provided I wound up purchasing a pair of orthodics from footsmart.com for every pair of shoes I own.The 3/4 style worked best for me but some people like full inserts.I feel like I get more of a lift out of the 3/4 which takes the pressure off the heel.Good luck and Experiment.You'll find the combination that works for you.

Journal Entries

I had severe PF when I was younger. I first began experiencing it when I was ~18 walking across college campus in sperry topsiders with no arch support. It would hit and Id be almost stranded not able to walk back to my dorm or class. Whenever I had arch support, like athletic shoes, I never had any pain. By the time I was in early 20s after a few yrs of heavy weight lifting , I couldnt take a step when getting out of bed in morning my PF hurt so bad. Still athletic shoes mostly kept it at bay. It would show up when I wore shoes without support. Orthopedic dr prescribed ibuprofen and rest. Yeah.

Anyhow. Orthotics designed to RESHAPE my foot and put arch back into it fixed my issues. My feet had gotten flat. Mostly hereditary, aggravated by lifting heavy heavy weights. When I walked around a pool ondry concrete with wet feet, there was no arch showing on the footprint. An outfit called Body Balance out of Oklahoma fitted me with orthotics to reshape my foot, and it did. At first it was like walking with golfballs under my arches. Couldnt wear for more than 30 min at a time because it made you so sore. After 6 months no longer felt them...and my footprints showed arch. Wore them in every pair of shoes, every day for 25+ yrs. Have never had another PF pain, even while lifting heavy weights. Completely solved my problems.

No icing, no sleep socks, no braces, no resting and hoping it never comes back.

BTW, without the right arch in the foot, everything else in the body shifts to compensate. The ankle rolls to the side, then the knee , hip, and back shift to compensate. Its ALL hooked together. People with knee, hip, back issues often have them due to feet problems.

YMMV.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-09-2016 at 19:43.

As a physical therapist, I have treated alot of PF. It can hang around for months. However there are things that work. If your PF pain is worse with the first step out of bed, a night splint to keep your ankle at a right angle at night will definitely help. Taping the arch on the bottom of the foot at relieve pain immediately. The tape can stay on for several days. Very flexible shoes probably make PF worse.

PF can include a tear on the fascia or a degeneration of the tissue. Stretching the calf may help but improper stretching-- letting the foot pronate or roll in while stretching will aggravate the PF.

The PF can be evaluated with ultasound scanning which is cheap and painless. A Cortisone injection using ultrasound scanning is very effective.

Orthotics whether over the counter or custom should fully support the arch. VIONIC MCPOIL orthotics give very good support and can be ordered on line.

Bottom line, PF can be with you for several weeks to months. Have patience.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Dry needling could be helpful in the calf but would not ssd o it into the PF or Achilles tendon.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

As I suffer from Pf, I found a You Tube video that a doctor put up using plain white med tape on the foot to alleviate symptoms
    I tried it and it helped me quite a bit. It's cheaper than the KT tape.

I was about to cut my heel off after 6 months. Finally (a couple of years ago) I realized the hiking forum would be a great place to get help. Sure enough, one guy recommended I look into the Onestretch device. I googled it, bought it, and about 2 weeks later, was almost completely healed. The sock, I could not tolerate, I tried rolling tennis balls, frozen soda bottles etc forever. This was the ticket for me.

I have using gel inserts from ProFoot for a couple of weeks. Along with stretching, things are improving. Got some good my street shoes too. Pretty inexpensive too, under $10.

I think most everyone has covered the basics. PF is different is each patient. Everybody responds to different treatments with varying success. Things that have been successful for me and my running friends are: stretching...lots of it. Rolling a frozen water bottle under your foot, possibly different footwear and I wore these at night you can get them at Walgreens or your local drug store probably. This device helps keep the tendon stretched at night. k2-_10eaa091-0087-4721-a4df-353b5d630f0a.v1.jpg
    Wishing you a speedy recovery, but be aware it can take an extended period of time to recover fully. Again everyone is different

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Oh one more thing, I purchase "The Sock" which I think (but am not sure) helped. I used it for a few weeks at the worse of the problem in July/August.

https://thesock.com/
    Thanks, Coffee for posting the link. I have had PF rear it's ugly head again in my right foot yesterday. No rhyme or reason what caused it. I have every 'boot' type device I wear to bed and this 'sock' looks like it will work better because it bends my toes! Luckily there is a local retailer that carries it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++