WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Casey & Gina View Post
    Well when I called they said I could try sending them back but needed to fill out a request online, warned me several times that they don't fix REI Garage Sale items, guess they get a lot of those?? I then went online and it said proof of purchase (which I haven't got) was mandatory so I didn't try further. Maybe I will mail them in and see what happens; it's not like they are doing me any good now.

yeah.......

i fill out the request on line..........they send me a confirmation email saying a claim is going to be opened......then a day or so later, i get another email with claim number and an address to return item to...

ive never had to prove my purchase, and i just send the pad to them....

ive sent back and have gotten 3----and just sent another one this week.....

There's lots of good companies in the backpacking/camping industry. They usually have pretty liberal return policies, which are funded by some pretty high gross margins. I like BA's products being a Colorado based company. Every couple of years or so, I take some sleeping bags to them for washing, $15 for a professional job.

It's a great excuse to visit Steamboat Springs, walk in the Mt Zirkel wilderness and soak in the Strawberry Park hot springs.

Casey, let us know what happens, hopefully they'll come through for you.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    If it was advertised as having a slow leak in a garage sale, and in fact it has a slow leak, REI is not to blame but let the buyer beware.
    So you don't think REI has any responsibility to indicate as accurately as possible what the problem is with an item? The fact that they tag an item with the problem stated would seem to indicate that they do. Seems to me that they should either accept responsibility for accurately describing the issues with an item or not describe the problem at all.

In this case they stated "a slow leak", maybe they should have indicated it had MULTIPLE leaks. I doubt anyone would buy a pad like that though which of course becomes a problem for REI.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

In this case they stated "a slow leak", maybe they should have indicated it had MULTIPLE leaks. I doubt anyone would buy a pad like that though which of course becomes a problem for REI.

yeah......except i can guarantee ya how is was listed with a "slow leak".............thats the way it was returned..

as in---customer---"i wanna return this pad"
    REI---"whats the reason for returning it?"
    customer---"it has a slow leak"

i mean, after all, its not like REI is going to test the pad out for a more accurate description.......

and the REI garage sales are "all items sold as is".......

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Well yes but if you bought a tent listed as "missing tent pegs" and you got it home and found it had a 2' rip in it and was missing the fly and poles don't think you'd have the basis for a complaint?

This is why I don't attend these sales although I know people who have got some great deals. I guess you just need to be careful of what you buy.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Well yes but if you bought a tent listed as "missing tent pegs" and you got it home and found it had a 2' rip in it and was missing the fly and poles don't think you'd have the basis for a complaint?

This is why I don't attend these sales although I know people who have got some great deals. I guess you just need to be careful of what you buy.
    Everything is "as is". If you're going to get something from there, you should take it out in the store and set it up, blow it up, whatever you need to do to completely assess the product to your own satisfaction. As mentioned it will advertise whatever the customer returning the product said, REI does not have the resources to independently test everything and the prices at garage sales reflect that. I got our Big Agnes Scout UL2 for a great deal at an REI garage sale, but I knew before leaving the store that it had a small puncture that I'd need to repair. Also got a Therm-a-Rest Prolite regular, which had a single puncture and some obvious dirt from usage. Not even something I needed, but at $7, it was hard to resist - I figured at that price I'd tear it apart and learn more about it but it was such an easy repair that now I have a spare pad that if nothing else, I can give to someone in need. Surface punctures are super-easy to repair, unlike the recessed weld failures.

Images

as is, is as is........

You can fault REI for some things, some people thought the "outside" promotion during Black Friday was disingenuous, but their return policy is pretty liberal. I was once in line to purchase something and a guy with a cart full of crap that looked like it came from a homeless shelter was in the process of returning the items. Another time at a garage sale a 900 fill Marmot bag was for sale with a hole burnt in it from a cigarette or a joint, boots that looked like they were worn on completing both the AT and PCT that didn't "fit well".

It was good business to change their "satisfaction" policy to 12 months. Normal customers end up paying for people who take advantage of the system. Backcounty.com and others were quick to follow suit.

As stated above "as is" places 100% of the responsibility on the buyer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++