WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I too am a big fan of reading on a smartphone. For those that might find the screen size to be a big issue, try getting a set of drug store reading glasses, just the little half-height ones. The weight of glasses will be a lot less than that of a kindle, a lot cheaper and less of an issue in general if lost or broken, and ... one less device to worry about, to recharge, etc.

W.r.t. recharging, I enjoyed this comment above:
    "With smartphone, digicam, powerbank, headlamp, shaver and kindle to beg for a recharge during townstop you soon run out of wall sockets and charging devices."

We're all definitely different in these regards. I guess that if you wanted to go hog wild here, you could also include a rechargeable MP3 player, some sort of fitness tracker (fitbit et al), perhaps the person with this collection of devices might also be carrying a small battery powered inflatable air pump. I'm sure there are (a lot) more potential battery powered devices.

For me, the smartphone is the only rechargeable item that I find worth carrying.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

I just stuff my down sleeping bag into a trash compacter bag. Toss the kindle in with it. Stays warm and dry.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Arden View Post
    Thanks guys;
    I have been working on getting the AT Data book perfected for the Kindle (there is none available for purchase), but because of the way the tables are laid out, it is somewhat of a problem. That said, I am doing pretty well - albeit waiting for my 2016 edition while I practice with the 2014 edition.
    My Kindle doesn't have a backlight. It's the "electronic ink" type, so I will need to use a separate reading light. I am trying to find a suitable lamp, so I won't have to use up the batteries in my headlamp, and the smaller light can double for general use in the tent.
    The desiccant sounds like a good idea. I'll check out the "red pepper" case. I have been looking at different ones on Amazon, but haven't made a purchase.
    There is guthook's android/Apple app. $60 gets all the maps and a good bit of guidence on towns and supply points. It's worth a look...

Journal Entries

Well, I'm definitely not an ultralight hiker. I'm counting on building muscle mass/strength as I hike Maybe not such a great idea, but I'm sure I'll wind up carrying less weight after a few re-supply/PO stops.
    Perhaps the problem with the Kindle screen cracking is the cold weather? Or maybe its just very thin plastic, and the fabrication of the display doesn't permit any flex at all, so it will crack if the whole thing gets flexed.
    I won't try to hike with the Kindle unless I can get a suitable case for it. If I could get a case like the one I have for my Moto E, my Kindle would be well protected. It saved my phone, which was in one of the hip pockets on my Atmos 65 as I was getting squeezed through the Lemon Squeezer in Harriman Park NY, and had completely forgotten that it was on my belt. The case didn't even suffer a scratch, but even if it had been broken, I think the phone still would have been OK.
    I am planning on at least one section hike of 50 miles before I start a thru-hike, and will test whatever system I have during that trek.
    My pack has a large top pocket that will easily accommodate the Kindle, but there is the chance that it could get squeezed in there.
    Reading white text on black isn't going to work too well for me. I have tried it on my Moto E before, and didn't like it. If I decide not to take the Kindle, I can put some audiobooks onto my phone instead. Then, if I stop in town where there is a free library with free (or pay) wi-fi, I might be able to download another audiobook through my home library account. If not, I could join Audible and buy them. Or, I could just listen to music.

kickatree; I have tried the free android app by guthook. I thought it was the entire AT, but kind of doubted it for free. The free version is only the Amicalola approach trail. Nice app though. Might be worth the $60.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kickatree View Post
    I just stuff my down sleeping bag into a trash compacter bag. Toss the kindle in with it. Stays warm and dry.

Heck of a good idea.
    hikers gonna hike

Well, I'm definitely not an ultralight hiker. I'm counting on building muscle mass/strength as I hike Maybe not such a great idea, but I'm sure I'll wind up carrying less weight after a few re-supply/PO stops.
    Perhaps the problem with the Kindle screen cracking is the cold weather? Or maybe its just very thin plastic, and the fabrication of the display doesn't permit any flex at all, so it will crack if the whole thing gets flexed.
    I won't try to hike with the Kindle unless I can get a suitable case for it. If I could get a case like the one I have for my Moto E, my Kindle would be well protected. It saved my phone, which was in one of the hip pockets on my Atmos 65 as I was getting squeezed through the Lemon Squeezer in Harriman Park NY, and had completely forgotten that it was on my belt. The case didn't even suffer a scratch, but even if it had been broken, I think the phone still would have been OK.
    I am planning on at least one section hike of 50 miles before I start a thru-hike, and will test whatever system I have during that trek.
    My pack has a large top pocket that will easily accommodate the Kindle, but there is the chance that it could get squeezed in there.
    Reading white text on black isn't going to work too well for me. I have tried it on my Moto E before, and didn't like it. If I decide not to take the Kindle, I can put some audiobooks onto my phone instead. Then, if I stop in town where there is a free library with free (or pay) wi-fi, I might be able to download another audiobook through my home library account. If not, I could join Audible and buy them. Or, I could just listen to music.

kickatree; I have tried the free android app by guthook. I thought it was the entire AT, but kind of doubted it for free. The free version is only the Amicalola approach trail. Nice app though. Might be worth the $60.
    Yup. I get a good feeling about the app. It's worth the money if it's accurate. I've read about it on guthook's site. He updates with several sources. I need to take a harder look at it and compare to the other trail guide currently publishing yearly. All I really need is some basic info for hostels and towns. It seems to be included. Wingfoot had the best one at the time. That is pre 2005. Hard to choose.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Reading a kindle app on my phone for hours and hours, with white letters on a black background, dimmed down when I read at night...
    Just tried out this app, works great.
    Thanks again for the hint!
    My wife is so happy that she will get back her Kindle now <G>

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Reading white text on black isn't going to work too well for me. I have tried it on my Moto E before, and didn't like it.
    Um, have you tried switching to the white or sepia backgrounds?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Um, have you tried switching to the white or sepia backgrounds?
    Isn't the whole idea of white on black to save battery life? In any case, I really don't enjoy reading on such a small screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    In both cases, the screen just went defect, without a scratch or visible outer crack. Obviousely some inner layer of the display cracked. Can this screen protector avoid "inner" cracks?
    Just had a look at some screen protective items on Amazon.
    There are hundreds of foil-type things, which I'm afraid would not help that much.
    And then there are some glass-type protectors. Wonder if these would allow the touch screen to work then? The description is auto-translated from Chinese to German and is, aside of inducing belly-shaking laughter, of not much help....
    The screen protector I got for my Kindle Paperwhite is a glass-type protector and is about 1 MM thick. It came with a kit to clean the screen before applying the protector. The touch screen still works with the protector. The only thing different is that the protector is a shiny surface that reflects external light source, unlike the dull finish of the original screen, but it does not really matter when you use the Kindle. I suspect the normal tapping of the original Kindle screen may lead to failure due to normal wear and tear. The thicker protector may prevent, or slow this down.

When I said "indestructible" in a previous post, I meant in normal use, which does not include sitting on the unit!
    Last edited by Farr Away; 10-25-2016 at 15:34.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Your good. I have put my cell in a zipper pull plastic bag for linens and it survived a soaking wet pack. I find I can still swipe away through the plastic. Just turn the airplane mode on and get a battery pack.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

I use a bubble wrap mailing envelope to store my kindle when I go hiking. Actually I use 2 envelopes, one inside of the other, so there's 2 layers of bubble wrap in between the kindle and anything else in the pack.

I don't want to carry my iPhone, so I got the adapter for the Emprum GPS (Orange Gadgets) and a newer iPod Touch for the camera, then let the Kindle/Audible app read aloud to earbuds.

I have decided to go this way, because the iPod Touch carries well in my buttoned shirt pocket and I find the tiny print and tiny display not very enjoyable to read.

I am not willing to carry the larger display.

This read aloud feature takes down the battery, however not so much as you might think - I turn off the display, and it seems to run as efficiently as listening to music.

When I carried my e-ink Kindle on the AT in 2012, I sandwiched it with a small plastic clipboard (doubled as a cutting board for cheese, sausage etc) in a ziploc bag, stashed in a second water bladder sleeve against the back of my pack. Still works today.

On of my challenges is near sightedness so I rely on the paperwhite's ability to create larger text sizes. I'm currently awaiting my member packet from the ATC so I can order the PA section guide at member's rate. I'm concerned about my ability to read the maps once I get them. Are there e-pub alternatives available anywhere.

BTW my paperwhite has survived many weeks at various BoyScout camps from the Adirondacks to the Chesapeake with no problem and no special precautions.

Good idea and the battery lasts forever on those things.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++