WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Kindle on a thru-hike?

Hi;
    I'm planning a thru-hike this year, and wondering whether or not to take my Kindle (7th gen touch screen) on my hike. I have various AT related documents which I have scanned and prepared loaded onto the Kindle, as well as many books I would like to read. Since the Kindle has really great battery life, I figure I can recharge it (takes the same charger my phone uses) at motel stops. I am buying a protective cover/case for the Kindle, so I can put it into the top pocket of my pack without worry of it getting damaged.

I do have a few concerns though:
    Humidity. I know that there will be days when the humidity is 100%, and I don't think the Kindle is designed to be exposed to such high humidity. I could keep it in a ziplock bag, which I close when the humidity is normal, and don't unzip if the humidity is too high.
    Cold: I know that the Kindle won't work if the temp is below 0C, and starting a thru-hike in March, there are going to be lots of days when it's colder than that at night.
    General handling: The Kindle will get jostled around in my pack as I hike, but hopefully the cover I buy will protect it.

BTW: The same charger/cable that fits my Moto E fits the Kindle, and the Li-Ion battery pack I will carry for extra power for my phone, so I can charge all devices in one night in a motel (providing I wake myself up after a few hours to switch devices on the charger). I use the phone for listening to audio books and music, besides an emergency phone call or to contact home.

So what do you think?

Arden

Journal Entries

I wouldn't think of going without my kindle. I've a "red pepper" case for mine that seems to be indestructible. Even so, I still drop it in a 1 liter S2S dry bag.
    hikers gonna hike

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

I won't leave home without it!! I have a paperwhite Kindle It lasts a week on a charge, reading an hour or so per night. I usually stop at a hostel or motel each week to resupply. I don't know how long the bright lit backlit models batteries last between charging. One hike I used my phone for reading and it was marginally satisfactory, but not as good as the paperwhite. I carried two extra batteries for the phone.
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Not a problem. Keep it in a zip lock and padded case and you'll be fine. The paper white screen does gets sluggish in cold temps. But I kind of doubt you'll be doing much reading when its that cold. You'll just be trying to stay warm.
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 01-03-2016 at 22:38.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

You might also try putting some of those little desiccant packets in the ziplock along with the Kindle.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Thanks guys;
    I have been working on getting the AT Data book perfected for the Kindle (there is none available for purchase), but because of the way the tables are laid out, it is somewhat of a problem. That said, I am doing pretty well - albeit waiting for my 2016 edition while I practice with the 2014 edition.
    My Kindle doesn't have a backlight. It's the "electronic ink" type, so I will need to use a separate reading light. I am trying to find a suitable lamp, so I won't have to use up the batteries in my headlamp, and the smaller light can double for general use in the tent.
    The desiccant sounds like a good idea. I'll check out the "red pepper" case. I have been looking at different ones on Amazon, but haven't made a purchase.

Whether it is a kindle or a book you bring, I have found myself "bored" sometimes once I set up camp and wishing I had some form of entertainment if no one is around to talk to.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

I have a Kindle in the backpack since I have switched from real books, but already cracked two Kindles of the older e-ink type (display broken).
    Obviousely this type of display is way more fragile than a typical smartphone would be.
    Also, I encountered mysterious too-fast power drain sometimes, maybe due to cold or damp environment.

Its mandatory to have a decent cover, additional Ziplock welcome, and still good advice to thread the Kindle as nice as possible during the hike.
    This kind of stuff is not really built to endure rough threatment like, throw it into the pack and forget about it.
    Too bad when you have most of your hiking documents on this device, and then it fails.

Another topic is the charging:
    With smartphone, digicam, powerbank, headlamp, shaver and kindle to beg for a recharge during townstop you soon run out of wall sockets and charging devices.

I have an Iphone 6 plus(big big screen), and then have the nook app. I love it and it saves me from carrying 2 devices
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I have an Iphone 6 plus(big big screen), and then have the nook app. I love it and it saves me from carrying 2 devices
    Same with me. I use my Kindle app on my phone all the time now, I prefer it to my paperwhite Kindle. My phone (Motorola Droid Turbo Max) screen is a tad smaller than the Iphone 6 plus, but much larger than the older Iphones. If you have an older Iphone, that screen is pretty small, and if I had one, I'd carry my kindle while hiking. I read at least an hour a night on the trail, sometimes more. I even occasionally take a mid-day break and read then as well.

At least check out a Kindle (or nook) app on your phone to see if you like it (free app). Some like it, others don't. As I said, even though I own a perfectly good Kindle paperwhite, I now prefer my phone, even at home around the house. I only use the kindle when I read in the tub because I'm afraid of dropping my (more expensive) phone in the water, which I did one time (I managed to dry it out though...). the phone and the kindle stay synched all the time to where I'm at in a particular book.

Make sure you get the settings right before judging the phone/kindle app though. Lots of adjustments possible; I use a small-medium size font and white letters on a black background. when reading at night you can dim this way, way down and use very little battery power. Black letters on a white background uses way more battery power.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Same with me. I use my Kindle app on my phone all the time now, I prefer it to my paperwhite Kindle. My phone (Motorola Droid Turbo Max) screen is a tad smaller than the Iphone 6 plus, but much larger than the older Iphones. If you have an older Iphone, that screen is pretty small, and if I had one, I'd carry my kindle while hiking. I read at least an hour a night on the trail, sometimes more. I even occasionally take a mid-day break and read then as well.

At least check out a Kindle (or nook) app on your phone to see if you like it (free app). Some like it, others don't. As I said, even though I own a perfectly good Kindle paperwhite, I now prefer my phone, even at home around the house. I only use the kindle when I read in the tub because I'm afraid of dropping my (more expensive) phone in the water, which I did one time (I managed to dry it out though...). the phone and the kindle stay synched all the time to where I'm at in a particular book.

Make sure you get the settings right before judging the phone/kindle app though. Lots of adjustments possible; I use a small-medium size font and white letters on a black background. when reading at night you can dim this way, way down and use very little battery power. Black letters on a white background uses way more battery power.
    Gonna give this a try! Just installed the app on the phone and pulled down one of my books. Thanks!
    hikers gonna hike

Journal Entries

Leo L said "Also, I encountered mysterious too-fast power drain sometimes, maybe due to cold or damp environment."

Could that be due to the wi-fi being on when there is no wi-fi signal? Radios like wifi and 3/4g cell/data & GPS will consume most power when they are searching for a signal. Put the Kindle in airplane mode to prevent this.
    I do same with my Moto E smartphone when there isn't wifi or a cell/data signal. Otherwise, I just turn off the wi-fi and GPS to save battery.

I am looking for a hard case for my Kindle. If I can't find that, I'll go for a nice padded soft case. Either way, my Kindle will be slipped into the top pocket of my Osprey Atmos 65 pack, and handled with loving care. I am very good with my electronics, as with everything else. I have been known to keep devices for a very long time for this reason. While some of my friends and family have to replace their smartphones, ipods, Kindles, and whatever portable devices every few years, I still have an iPod click wheel that is more than 10 years old, and it still works! Had to replace the battery once, but other than that, it is doing fine.

I wouldn't want to use my Moto E for reading, as its screen is far too small for my eyes. Besides that, I want to keep the phone for making phone calls/texts, and for listening to audiobooks. Nice thing about audiobooks is that I can listen to them while zipped up cozy in my bag.

Maybe I could get a manufacturer to send me a Kindle cover for testing... if it survives the 2185 miles of the AT, the manufacturer could claim "thru-hiker tested" for the product.

If I remember right the unexpected battery drain had happened in a camp right at the beach, chilly night with quite high humidity. And it happened after a long evening reading in bed - who knows what I've forgotten to switch off then.

When I got my new Paperwhite for Christmas two weeks back, it came with a carpenter handmade hard wooden case.
    Doesn't solve any humidity issue though.

For the smartphone instead of a Kindle, ist hard to imagine how to come through with battery life?
    Tried typing my diary on the smartphone, but skipped this after some days due to battery capacity limitations. It just ate up too much.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    For the smartphone instead of a Kindle, ist hard to imagine how to come through with battery life?
    Tried typing my diary on the smartphone, but skipped this after some days due to battery capacity limitations. It just ate up too much.
    Reading a kindle app on my phone for hours and hours, with white letters on a black background, dimmed down when I read at night, barely touches the battery (the phone is nearly always in airplane mode, of course). An anker external battery, the 10,000 mAh version I have weighs about the same as my kindle (with soft case), and I get 3 full recharges out of my anker external battery. So, one device (my droid phone), plus Anker battery, about 15 ounces total, serves well as communication, kindle reader and pretty decent camera and easily lasts over a week, more like 10 days, reading a ton, taking lots of pictures and calling/texting my wife once a day or so, plus (grudgingly) keeping up with any important emails.

Thanks for the hint! I'll give it a try.

So what's the wt. of a kindle paperwhite and charger? I'm sure it's a stupid question but can a kindle do video?

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    I have a Kindle in the backpack since I have switched from real books, but already cracked two Kindles of the older e-ink type (display broken).
    Obviousely this type of display is way more fragile than a typical smartphone would be.
    Also, I encountered mysterious too-fast power drain sometimes, maybe due to cold or damp environment. ...
    Go to EBAy and search for a screen protector for your model of Kindle. I got one for $5 that makes the screen pretty much indestructible. I bought a case for $11. You can also find chargers there at a considerable price reduction from the Amazon site. I got a car charger and a home charger for ~$8 on EBay. The chargers are rated at 2,000 ma and can charge the unit from ~50% to full charge in less than an hour.

I always switch off the wi-fi and put the Kindle into airplane mode when not downloading new reading material. It saves the battery.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

In both cases, the screen just went defect, without a scratch or visible outer crack. Obviousely some inner layer of the display cracked. Can this screen protector avoid "inner" cracks?
    Just had a look at some screen protective items on Amazon.
    There are hundreds of foil-type things, which I'm afraid would not help that much.
    And then there are some glass-type protectors. Wonder if these would allow the touch screen to work then? The description is auto-translated from Chinese to German and is, aside of inducing belly-shaking laughter, of not much help.

I had a decent cover, but thats heavy and clumsy, so first decided to skip that. Stupid me.
    Some days in the trip I just forgot that I have the Kindle in my daypack and sat full-weight on it. Stupid me.
    Second time (second Kindle), I was so much in a hurry for leaving home that I didn't find the the cover, but intended to take extra-super care of my Kindle.
    Again, the display went defect in the handluggage out of unknown reason during the first leg of the flights.
    Was some hard time, 6 weeks trip without any of my favorite readings.
    On the positive side, I was much more open to people.

For my next trip I will bring a multi-output USB charger for sure.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Just read on your phone. If you use your phone a lot, get a battery pack for a few oz. extra. There's no need to carry an extra device that just does 1 thing when you are already carrying a device that duplicates its function.

Remember, injury is the #1 reason AT hikers get off the trail. Less weight in your pack means less strain on your joints. Don't carry that half pound of extra weight.

Not a hiking comment, but the current bicycle generator hubs don't have quite enough umph to keep up with charging current electronics. Just a side comment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++