WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pots

I'm planning a "stove optional" hike - not bringing anything I can't eat cold, but thinking about a really light stove, maybe to burn esbit for the option to have hot water on occasion. Or to have a pot to use if there is already a fire. And I've been looking for something that has a screw top so I can use the same container as a cold-water dehydrater.
    But this is too pricey for my budget. Has anyone seen a lightweight pot with a screwtop lid that isn't so expensive? Maybe in aluminum?

Quote Originally Posted by LAZ View Post
    I'm planning a "stove optional" hike - not bringing anything I can't eat cold, but thinking about a really light stove, maybe to burn esbit for the option to have hot water on occasion. Or to have a pot to use if there is already a fire. And I've been looking for something that has a screw top so I can use the same container as a cold-water dehydrater.
    But this is too pricey for my budget. Has anyone seen a lightweight pot with a screwtop lid that isn't so expensive? Maybe in aluminum?
    Do you mean a cold water rehydrator lol? If so, I think your referring to what many of us call "soaking". I'm that event, even with some reports of a small amount of leakage around the threads (remedied with a proper 20cent o-ring).. Its hard to beat the 2cup or 4cup screw top zip lock containers. There extremely light and multi use. Make a reflective pot cozy and you have a great option for hot foods. Also, because most of your foods dont require hot water. I'm sure you could find a sub 3oz pot and esbit burner that fits inside the zip lock. At least the 4 cup. If you don't like DIY, anti gravity gear has premanufactured cozy zip lock containers for a fair price. And trail designs gramcrack esbit stove is really really light. Add a titanium or aluminum windscreen/pot support and an ultra light cookpot. You could have a pretty slick setup for at or under 6ozs... If that's over the top. I'd still bring a 500-600ml ti pot and zip lock container in your case. More flexible having two vessels. Maybe you want a hot drink and your meal at some point. Having the needs to fulfill that simple luxury goes alot further for your hike than cutting two ounces from your pack.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Do you mean a cold water rehydrator lol? If so, I think your referring to what many of us call "soaking". I'm that event, even with some reports of a small amount of leakage around the threads (remedied with a proper 20cent o-ring).. Its hard to beat the 2cup or 4cup screw top zip lock containers. There extremely light and multi use. Make a reflective pot cozy and you have a great option for hot foods. Also, because most of your foods dont require hot water. I'm sure you could find a sub 3oz pot and esbit burner that fits inside the zip lock. At least the 4 cup. If you don't like DIY, anti gravity gear has premanufactured cozy zip lock containers for a fair price. And trail designs gramcrack esbit stove is really really light. Add a titanium or aluminum windscreen/pot support and an ultra light cookpot. You could have a pretty slick setup for at or under 6ozs... If that's over the top. I'd still bring a 500-600ml ti pot and zip lock container in your case. More flexible having two vessels. Maybe you want a hot drink and your meal at some point. Having the needs to fulfill that simple luxury goes alot further for your hike than cutting two ounces from your pack.
    Lol - yes, I meant rehydrater. Well, I managed to communicate even if my English ain't so good.
    I get what you're saying - the effort to make every item do double duty isn't always worth it.I hadn't been thinking about stoves. For whatever reason, I generally like my food and drink cold. I make coffee at night and put it in the refrigerator so it'll be iced in the morning. Even in the winter.The same with food - I'll cook and not even eat it until it's cold the next day. But every now and then I have a cold wet tiring day when something hot is just the thing. It was on another thread where someone was talking about having a stove without having to use it daily, that got me thinking about the option. Thanks for throwing out the possibilities. DIY is good, in my book. And if I need that six ounce cooking system to warm my insides on a hard day it is definitely worth it. I wasn't going stoveless to save weight, just to save fuss over something I didn't think I cared about, but I'm more and more liking the idea that it's not all or nothing.

900 ml titanium cup and a food grade plastic stove kit container for my bowl.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Better a little too big than a little too small. I like the titanium 1.3 l.

Depends. I have a bunch of different kits stoves and cook sets. One of my favorites is the old USGI stainless canteen cup. I have a pair of them one to cook and eat out of other for my coffee. My favorite one pot option is my 1.8 liter mors pot. A favorite kit is the Swedish army mess kit. Eh might be a tiny bit bulky but good kit. What can I say I'm a cook set and stove whore lol
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

Snowpeak Trek 700 Titanium (700 ml) with a Fourdog lid.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

I have a bunch of set-ups as well but I really like 2 specific pots at the moment.

1. Toaks 650ml mug - great for boil in bag meals and narrow enough to drink like a mug. The con is there are no graduated markings for measurement. One nice things is the pot lid can be locked into an upright position so you don't burn your fingers when lifting the lid up to peek.

2. Olicamp XTS 1L pot- I LOVE this heat exchanger pot. In fact, I'm sitting at home and eating some Packit Gourmet Shepherds Pie out of this pot as I type. Pros: graduated measurement markings, heats really fast with a canister stove, fuel efficient, can nest a good bit of extras inside. Cons: weight- it's not like this pot is a lead brick, but it does lean to heavier side of things. If weight is your sole criteria, pass this pot on by. However, if you want fuel efficiency, and quick boil times, this pot does not disappoint.

Journal Entries

When I started backpacking in the early 1970s, inspired by Colin Fletcher's "Complete Walker", I used a an aluminum SIGG cook set, one that was sized to work with my SVEA 123 stove. I now usually burn alcohol instead of white gas, cooking in a one quart Stanco grease pot. I purchased that 'grease pot' at Walmart ten or twelve years ago in response to excellent advise that I received from posters here.

More recently the cheap IMUSA pots that others have mentioned seem to have replaced "Stanco Grease Pots" as the favorites of people not inclined to spend money a lot of money merely to possess gold plated or titanium alloy equipment. Before titanium cookware (actually alloyed with aluminum) appeared, touted as being "strong and light", were backpacking trips being ruined because comparably light aluminum cookware was failing in the field? That has not been my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Siestita View Post
    When I started backpacking in the early 1970s, inspired by Colin Fletcher's "Complete Walker", I used a an aluminum SIGG cook set, one that was sized to work with my SVEA 123 stove. I now usually burn alcohol instead of white gas, cooking in a one quart Stanco grease pot. I purchased that 'grease pot' at Walmart ten or twelve years ago in response to excellent advise that I received from posters here.

More recently the cheap IMUSA pots that others have mentioned seem to have replaced "Stanco Grease Pots" as the favorites of people not inclined to spend money a lot of money merely to possess gold plated or titanium alloy equipment. Before titanium cookware (actually alloyed with aluminum) appeared, touted as being "strong and light", were backpacking trips being ruined because comparably light aluminum cookware was failing in the field? That has not been my experience.

I use a lot of aluminum cookware. Most of them hold up just fine I stay away from the thin crap that usually warps easily plus hot spots.
    Regarding the svea 123 I have vintage early 70s non R model I recently got love that little stove.
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

Quote Originally Posted by bikebum1975 View Post
    Regarding the svea 123 I have vintage early 70s non R model I recently got love that little stove.
    If you live to a very ripe old age, your Svea will still probably outlive you. Hints: 1. Get a few filler cap gaskets, and change it every few years. 2. Never run it out of fuel, or you'll slowly ruin the wick.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    If you live to a very ripe old age, your Svea will still probably outlive you. Hints: 1. Get a few filler cap gaskets, and change it every few years. 2. Never run it out of fuel, or you'll slowly ruin the wick.
    Hey Bill yep figured the old stove would out last me. Yeah need to pick some gaskets up. This one was pretty close to mint condition other than working on the polish. My friend that found it said she fired the first time also had a new wick in it.

By Doug Larson

So what about the wt of the heat exchanger part? Seems to add a couple of oz. about the same wt as my windscreen. I don't think I'll need a windscreen with a Soto windmaster and a heat exchanger pot??

Another vote for a pot in the 1.3L size (I have the Evernew). For me, that seems like the perfect size to cook just about anything you want while still having a small and lightweight package. If it's a short hike where I know I'll just be boiling water to rehydrate meals and make coffee, the 640ml pot (or even a GSI minimalist) comes along.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    So what about the wt of the heat exchanger part? Seems to add a couple of oz. about the same wt as my windscreen. I don't think I'll need a windscreen with a Soto windmaster and a heat exchanger pot??
    I use the Olicamp heat exchanger pot with the Soto Windmaster and do not need a wind screen. However, if it is extremely windy, I just use my Z-seat and create a windbreak.

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    I use the Olicamp heat exchanger pot with the Soto Windmaster and do not need a wind screen. However, if it is extremely windy, I just use my Z-seat and create a windbreak.

Exactly what I was thinking. Downwind from the tent, with the vestibule folded back. And the seatpad.

GSI Minimalist is great for most solo cooking for me. I like the sleeve and being able to keep my coffee hot for awhile.

Also received their 1.1L pot for Christmas to use when I'm hiking with a partner or need a little more cooking capacity.

Just got it in a trade Coleman max set nice little kit. Even better it fits one of my stoves even fits the emberlit fireant.

By Doug Larson

Images

Just received this three piece titanium set from Amazon for $50:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00
    Going to use it with a homemade wood stove that nests inside.

I have a few cook sets for different scenarios depending on trip length and circumstances.
    600ml Evernew w/ fancy feast - For Winter solo day hiking when a hot beverage will hit the spot at some point and I am still able to drive home for a hot meal at the end of the day
    900ml Evernew w/ fancy feast - My go to pot. This pot can do no wrong.
    MSR Titan w/ pocket rocket - For when I want a no fiddle stove with the ability to nest an 8oz canister and I am not being critical of weight

All scenarios are paired up with a GSI Infinity. Coffee is delicious. On the occasional chance I am not chugging it and I find myself enjoying a moment of reflection or whatever, I enjoy my beverage being warm until said moment has passed.

I also have a 1.3L Evernew tucked away in case of a miracle and one day my wife accompanies me into the woods.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++