WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    I don't see why that wouldn't work. Bonus if you carry one piece of muslin and reuse it.

I have tried the tea bags that you seal with an iron but found they weren't big enough for the amount of coffee that I wanted in each bag.
    You used to be able to get coffee bags from makers like Folgers. I tried them and they were thin and insipid. Apparently they were mostly instant cofffee with some ground coffee to improve the flavor, although I can testify they did nothing to improve the density of the drink. I am not sure if pouring boiling water over a homemade coffee bag would be enough to make real coffee. I will try it some time. Oh...maybe I would have to boil it for a minute or three in a pot? Of course that increases the fiddle time. I found a one cup permanent gold filter in Goodwill, but it does not fit most large cups including some I use for backpacking with a large mouth.

Journal Entries

Easy to make pourover with small very light setup if want real coffee on trail.
    If you know how to make coffee, that is.
    A plastic hario v60 in 01 size is all really need
    If not, stick to instant
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-30-2017 at 03:04.

I prefer brewing coffee in the copper cezve.
    I chose a copper one because of its low weight.

For me, it tastes much better than any instant coffee I've tried.
    Just need to heat the coffee in the cezve until it brews, but not boils.
    The whole process takes about 10 mins, but the taste is inexpressible.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I'm surprised that I never weighed in on this thread.

I use one of these: https://www.rei.com/product/784659/g...p-coffee-maker

If I can't have real coffee I'm not going.

The filter is 0.4 ounce (about 12 grams), which I don't mind carrying in order to have real coffee. I use a paper filter inside to aid in cleanup and make stronger coffee - if I use the GSI without another filter it drips fast and comes out a little weak to my taste.

Before GSI brought out that filter, I used a Melitta cone.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Take a look at the ortleib cone filter.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyH View Post
    I prefer brewing coffee in the copper cezve.
    I chose a copper one because of its low weight.

For me, it tastes much better than any instant coffee I've tried.
    Just need to heat the coffee in the cezve until it brews, but not boils.
    The whole process takes about 10 mins, but the taste is inexpressible.

I'm curious how this works...maybe I'll look for a youtube on it later....but I'm wondering if grounds are filtered with this method?
    I've come to learn that drip coffee imparts some bad flavors just through the "mechanics" of how it works. I had a situation when RV-ing where I couldn't run my generator to operate my k-cup machine....so I cut open a k-cup and dumped the grounds into some near boiling water, letting them steep a few minutes, then filtered through a paper towel. WOW, it was so much better tasting!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    I've come to learn that drip coffee imparts some bad flavors just through the "mechanics" of how it works.
    Uh....no.

Learn about coffee.

The winner at barista championships is always a pour over (drip).

Its a balance between extracting the desireable flavors vs undesireable.

Water temp, contact time, grind size, agitation of bed, are all critical.

But well known for every method out there. Even a neophyte can make excellent coffee, by following directions, if they start with good fresh roasted beans.

However, you must start with good , fresh coffee, ground right before use.

Vast majority of people have never had good coffee. Because its not possible buying it at grocery store. Coffee beans lose half their flavors within 2 weeks of roasting. Grind it, maybe a day or so.
    With the adulterants most put in it, to mask the bitter charred taste, if low quality, stale, over roasted coffee, it dont matter to them either.

You kcup machine has a well known problem. It doesnt use hot enough water. 190 is too low. Needs 200f or so. It under-extracts (In addition to old stale gross over roasted pre ground cheap coffee.) Machine maker is more concerned with dumba$$ burning themself than making real coffee. Its nothing but swill. Ive had 2. Its a last resort.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-30-2017 at 16:16.

Yeah, I don't know.... I'm no food scientist. I'll ask my brother in law the next time I see him, who actually is a food scientist.

I just know I read somewhere about some undesirable compounds that come out during the drip...(oxidization maybe?). All I know is that boiled/immersed grounds seem to release much more flavor without as many bitters and other off flavors...& even when using the exact same grounds from a k-cup....which certainly aren't that great to begin with.

Anyway, I suspect that the winner of a barista competition could very well have a lot to do with the judges as well... Some folks would pick some weak folgers as winners over something I would like.....

Journal Entries

Yeah, I don't know.... I'm no food scientist. I'll ask my brother in law the next time I see him, who actually is a food scientist.

I just know I read somewhere about some undesirable compounds that come out during the drip...(oxidization maybe?). All I know is that boiled/immersed grounds seem to release much more flavor without as many bitters and other off flavors...& even when using the exact same grounds from a k-cup....which certainly aren't that great to begin with.

Anyway, I suspect that the winner of a barista competition could very well have a lot to do with the judges as well... Some folks would pick some weak folgers as winners over something I would like.....
    A french press, which is immersion, relys on coarse grounds and limited time not to over extract. You still allow water to cool to about 200 .

Boiling water is bad, bitter compounds will extract . There are thousands of compounds in roasted coffee, it is one of the most complex "foods".

Making good coffee is both art, and science.

Journal Entries

A french press, which is immersion, relys on coarse grounds and limited time not to over extract. You still allow water to cool to about 200 .

Boiling water is bad, bitter compounds will extract . There are thousands of compounds in roasted coffee, it is one of the most complex "foods".
    Your k cup has a relatively fine grind due to very short contact time and cold water. Coupling that with boiling water, and immersion for even short time would be expected to be not real good....even relative to normal keurig.
    Making good coffee is both art, and science. Unfortunately it starts with farmer and picking and processing, and has myriad of ways to go wrong. A good coffee, is delicious, balanced, strong, aromatic, no bitterness, and has chocolaty and fruity, or floral , or earthy flavors. It doesnt taste like char. Which is all you can buy at your supermarket, char.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-30-2017 at 17:29.

I'm wondering if grounds are filtered with this method?
    After you pour coffee into the cup, it is better to wait a couple of minutes until grounds don't sink to the bottom.
    Or you may just use a paper filter to save your time.

You may check this video. It doesn't fit best, but you'll get the general idea of this method.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvNWLrRzIAM

Journal Entries

Thumbs up

After you pour coffee into the cup, it is better to wait a couple of minutes until grounds don't sink to the bottom.

You may check this video. It doesn't fit best, but you'll get the general idea of this method.
    Takes a particular grinder to make turkish grind. I have a hand grinder that will do it. It was $300. Tolerances of 0.001". Way finer than espresso, basically its dust. You can buy special turkish grinder to do it cheaper, but thats all it will do. And it takes forever by hand.

They makin cowboy coffee, not turkish.

Notice recipe in video, tsp sugar to tsp coffee. Reason is...its nasty. Thats why add cardamom and spices too.

Just like arabic coffee, you choke down a tiny tiny amount because its awful. Particularly when made with rosewater....

The espresso machine was invented to make strong , thick bodied, GOOD coffee shots with crema. It takes 9 bar pressure, even very fine grind from $$$ grinder, controlled temp, and 20 sec pull time to.accomplish without being undrinkably bitter.

All good coffee making is attempt to extract a balanced solution of acidic, sweet, and bitter. flavors . Its too easy to extract too.much bitterness. Fine grinds, boiling hot water, uncontrolled contact times result in exactly that. Bitterness. Which is why most also drink dilute weak coffee.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-01-2017 at 16:06.

Watched the video, thanks for that.

Says best served with a glass of water..... yeah, for washing down those grounds you'll pick up in the dregs near the bottom of the cup!
    Best I suppose with this style, to let it sit a while and settle before drinking, then only drinking about half the cup. Even though the grind is super fine, it's still bound to have a lot of suspended grit
    Still, I'd like to try it..... May pick up some pre-ground stuff in the store some day and just do it in a regular cook pot....

Journal Entries

Watched the video, thanks for that.

Says best served with a glass of water..... yeah, for washing down those grounds you'll pick up in the dregs near the bottom of the cup!
    Best I suppose with this style, to let it sit a while and settle before drinking, then only drinking about half the cup. Even though the grind is super fine, it's still bound to have a lot of suspended grit
    Still, I'd like to try it..... May pick up some pre-ground stuff in the store some day and just do it in a regular cook pot....

https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/s...ee/stc-grinder

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    I'm surprised that I never weighed in on this thread.

I use one of these: https://www.rei.com/product/784659/g...p-coffee-maker

If I can't have real coffee I'm not going.

The filter is 0.4 ounce (about 12 grams), which I don't mind carrying in order to have real coffee. I use a paper filter inside to aid in cleanup and make stronger coffee - if I use the GSI without another filter it drips fast and comes out a little weak to my taste.

I tested this today and you're right, the coffee is weak without a paper filter. Even adding a filter, I had to use more coffee than normal to get it strong enough for me.

Not sure it's worth it to me to carry the extra filters and coffee but will do a field test before losing it in the gear box.

Journal Entries

I buy instant packets and Folgers mocha cappacino on super clearance at Walmart. Put the powder in a zip lock. Both the packets and the cappacino can be dissolved in cold water in your smart bottle or 1L playpus and hung up at night next to your food. Then in morning grab it, hike or grab it and heat. Dont recommend any thing hung overnight with marsh mellows in the cold. What ever your container is never comes clean again. Hike and coffee go together.

Journal Entries

I tested this today and you're right, the coffee is weak without a paper filter. Even adding a filter, I had to use more coffee than normal to get it strong enough for me.

Not sure it's worth it to me to carry the extra filters and coffee but will do a field test before losing it in the gear box.
    You should adjust the grind size to drip coffee to flow at right rate.
    Smaller will slow it down and extract more making it stronger
    Most larger grocery stores have grinder and sell some type whole beans if std drip grind doesnt work. Or filters....did u use a melitta type filter? Or normal ultra thin .
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-13-2017 at 20:24.

I like great coffee and at home have a nice espresso machine, grinder, pour over set-up, and aero press. I noticed in a recent reddit thread on instant coffee for the trail that recommended mount hagen instant coffee. I tried it and it was excellent, highly recommended, very good. It can be purchased at amazon and sprouts carries it at their stores.

I tested this today and you're right, the coffee is weak without a paper filter. Even adding a filter, I had to use more coffee than normal to get it strong enough for me. . .
    Come on guys. I drink crazy strong coffee and that GSI filter cone totally rocks WITHOUT PAPER.
    1) Paper filters add paper flavor to the coffee. Yuck. When I use paper filters (quite often at home) I always pre-rinse them with hot water so they don't add paper flavor to my coffee.
    2) Paper is only necessary to extend the brewing time in the GSI filter if you pour water over the GSI filter the same way you do into a paper filter . . . too fast. The GSI filter makes truly awesome coffee as long as the grind is fine enough (a typically cone filter grind) and you dribble a bit of water into the filter to get the grounds wet. Then you pour a little more water over the grounds until they are just floating, let it extract a bit, then pour enough to get the grounds floating again. If you pour the water over the grounds fast enough to make a whole cup in less than three or four pours, you're going way to fast!
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++