WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21

I love the aeropress coffee maker. It's fast, super light, easy to clean, and you can store the coffee and filters inside the press. Amazon has it for about $35.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Thedude18e View Post
    . . . the aeropress coffee maker. It's fast, super light, easy to clean, and you can store the coffee and filters inside the press. . .
    I like coffee from the Aeropress also. I love it for camping for most of the reasons you suggest. BUT, "super light"?????? I guess it's super light compared to my drip coffee maker at home, but compared to the GSI coffee filter discussed above or even a standard Melitta coffee cone, it's more on the heavy weight side of my thinking.

Last week I was camping with my wife and couldn't find my coffee filter and didn't want to dig for it. So, I just dumped the grounds into my pot and made some really great Cowboy Coffee. I'm still amazed at how good cowboy coffee can be when made well. . . and how bad it can be when made poorly.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I had a real nice stainless steel travel press that I used for a couple of years. Great coffee but harder to clean and much heavier. The Aeropress was super light compared to that thing. Never tried the GSI though. I might check it out.

The other down of an aero press is “sturdy mug” needed. Guess I could boil in my GSI halulite pan, poor into the press, and return the presses coffee into the same pot.... hmmn

I feel the same way. Tastes way better than I thought it would.

Snow Peaks makes a titanium French Press coffee pot that makes one serving. It is ultra light, a couple of ounces. I use it with real coffee. My trail breakfast is fresh coffee followed by oatmeal. I boil water in a titanium pot for both the coffee and the oatmeal. Instant coffee is pretend coffee to me. While carrying real coffee weighs a bit more, I don't carry a whole bag. I get the ultra small zip lock plastic bags that are in the bead section of Walmart, and preload individual servings of coffee into the small bags, and then put all these bags into a more robust plastic bag. It is the only luxury item I carry, and the ultra light weight pot is what makes it work. You just dump the coffee into the pot, add the boiling water, put on the lid, wait 3 or 4 minutes, and then SLOWLY push the top plunger to separate the grounds from the coffee. It will make the other hikers envious.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Diver View Post
    Snow Peaks makes a titanium French Press coffee pot that makes one serving. It is ultra light, a couple of ounces. I use it with real coffee. My trail breakfast is fresh coffee followed by oatmeal. I boil water in a titanium pot for both the coffee and the oatmeal. Instant coffee is pretend coffee to me. While carrying real coffee weighs a bit more, I don't carry a whole bag. I get the ultra small zip lock plastic bags that are in the bead section of Walmart, and preload individual servings of coffee into the small bags, and then put all these bags into a more robust plastic bag. It is the only luxury item I carry, and the ultra light weight pot is what makes it work. You just dump the coffee into the pot, add the boiling water, put on the lid, wait 3 or 4 minutes, and then SLOWLY push the top plunger to separate the grounds from the coffee. It will make the other hikers envious.

I've given thought to this setup a few times.. Watching the vids posted by FireboxStoves always leaves me feeling I'd like to be more exotic than instant food..

But you then need to pack out the used coffee grinds.. that's where I exit.

You do not need to pack out the used grounds. Coffee grounds are completely biodegradable. I am a Master Gardener, and many gardeners put them on their plants or fruit trees, similar to mulch or compost. Coffee beans are part of the plant, and soil bacteria will break them down completely as they are vegetative matter. And if you start with coffee beans and grind them at home to super fine, expresso style, you need less coffee to make a great cup of coffee, so your supply will last longer or you can take less. The ultra fine grounds move drop below the leaf litter and disappear with the first rain or sooner.

I switch from Via to cowboy coffee using a "colador" (what is the English word?) and never looked back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Diver View Post
    You do not need to pack out the used grounds. Coffee grounds are completely biodegradable. I am a Master Gardener, and many gardeners put them on their plants or fruit trees, similar to mulch or compost. Coffee beans are part of the plant, and soil bacteria will break them down completely as they are vegetative matter. And if you start with coffee beans and grind them at home to super fine, expresso style, you need less coffee to make a great cup of coffee, so your supply will last longer or you can take less. The ultra fine grounds move drop below the leaf litter and disappear with the first rain or sooner.
    Fine grounds with a french press won't work out well, and I don't think you'll find too many people here that are comfortable with tossing your coffee grounds out in the woods.

day before you leave to hike grind up some fresh a s s beans then zip lock that and throw that in the ol food bag then go to like a wawa or something they have single serving powdered coffee mate if ur down with creamer i always go and grab a hand full of those and sugar packets cuz that s h i t is free then i have the msr wind burner with the 20 dollar coffee press add on and for a mug i got some gsr at dicks sporting goods mug and put a caribiner on it and hook it to the pack cup cost like 5 bucks the msr is a stove and coffee press so i love that after all the rigamaru i got really good coffee for cheap and for light weight i cant drink instant coffee and id rather have it too strong then not enough

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Fine grounds with a french press won't work out well, and I don't think you'll find too many people here that are comfortable with tossing your coffee grounds out in the woods.
    Which may be ridiculous considering coffee grounds are organic material often greedily consumed by earth, compost worms(red wigglers), and nightcrawlers adding to that black gold composted "topsoil". It's one item without hesitation many add to their compost piles particularly when there is no added chlorine containing paper coffee filter or chlorinated or chemically treated water which I'd assume you're not using if you're boiling trail sourced water for coffee using a mini French press. It's assumed a wider range of organic material is also added to a healthy well composted heap. For forests like the AT and LT thoroughly scattering across the dark and deep soiled ground mindful of others aesthetics shouldn't be a taboo event especially in areas of low pH loving plants like Rhodies, Mountain laurel, azaleas, pines, firs, spruces, black berries, and leucothoe(hobblebush).

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Which may be ridiculous considering coffee grounds are organic material often greedily consumed by earth, compost worms(red wigglers), and nightcrawlers adding to that black gold composted "topsoil". It's one item without hesitation many add to their compost piles particularly when there is no added chlorine containing paper coffee filter or chlorinated or chemically treated water which I'd assume you're not using if you're boiling trail sourced water for coffee using a mini French press. It's assumed a wider range of organic material is also added to a healthy well composted heap. For forests like the AT and LT thoroughly scattering across the dark and deep soiled ground mindful of others aesthetics shouldn't be a taboo event especially in areas of low pH loving plants like Rhodies, Mountain laurel, azaleas, pines, firs, spruces, black berries, and leucothoe(hobblebush).
    Dried coffee grounds also are pretty good firestarter - they'll take a spark well, there's enough residual oil in them.

Wow, vulgar names for plants are all over the place. You call Leucothoë 'hobblebush' down there? Around here, ´hobblebush' means Viburnum lantanoides. And it's acid-loving, too.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21
++ New Posts ++